PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+ not quite?

The Error Guy
09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Just been woundering since ill be loosing my fiber soon (darn) whether my ADSL2+ connection is really performing at its best or whether there could be a problem.

Wireless and wired give the same speedtest results of about 1.5mb/s down and we are capped 100kb/s up. Our ISP's plan (we are with orcon btw) gives us F/S down, however i'm not too sure of 1.5mb/s is quite the max speed for our line.

The modem is a RTA1320, here is asummary of the line status

Line Mode RE-ADSL2 Line State Show Time
Latency Type Fast Line Up Time 09:12:02:11
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2123 Kbps 150 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 2956 Kbps 146 Kbps
Noise Margin 14.4 dB 13.2 dB
Line Attenuation 63.5 dB 27.1 dB
Output Power 18.1 dBm 7.4 dBm

And a BER report

The ADSL BER test completed successfully.

Tested Time 20
Total Transferred Bits 38454528
Total Error Bits 1355
Error Ratio 3.52e-05

The modem states that it's connected to ADSL2 and i'm pretty sure the Cabinet is within 1km of house, possibly closer. it is scheduled for December 2010 but i'm not sure for what, it is currently supplying ADSL2+

Does anyone know what could be causing the network to be slow? I was considering trying another modem at some point

Cheers

The Error Guy
09-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Ill just add, it could be a problem with the house's internal wiring (built 1860) It was partially rewired but hell knows what was rewired or what the quality of copper is

Terry Porritt
09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Your line attenuation is bad. It suggests you are around 4 to 5 km away from a cabinet. The download data rate is about right for that attenuation.
ADSL2+ may well be enabled at your exchange/cabinet, but you wont be getting it if your Orcan plan is only for ADSL, even though your Dynalink modem says ADSL2+

Maybe that you do have a heap of resistance in your phone line to give such a poor attenuation.

http://www.naschenweng.info/2008/10/16/adsl-significance-of-snr-and-attenuation

The Error Guy
09-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention, plan is ADSL2+, I would probably go with the likely fact that we have a shoddy copper line. It (the phoneline) was put in by the council in the 80's-90's when they used the house as their head office, probably weren't thinking of broadband at the time. is there an easy(ish) way to test line resistance so I can confirm it is the house to street cabling that is the problem, don't want to get telco or orcon out just to find the its another factor.

attached a map that shows the distance from my place to the edge of the particular cabinets coverage, its 1.1km, so the cabinet services a max range of about 2-2.5km

pctek
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
orcon

Line Rate 2123 Kbps 150 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 2956 Kbps 146 Kbps

its 1.1km

You using Orcons own equipment? If so, thats outrageously bad.

Not? Still crap.

I'm just over 1KM from the exchange, without Vodafones red network I got 4Mbps, on it, I get 8-10

The Error Guy
09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
By orcons equipment, is that their stuff at the exchange? if so i'm not sure but ill be talking to someone soon, i'm just outside of VDSL coverage by about 300m (according to telecom's map)

decibel
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
If you know your neighbours well, ask what their line rate is.

That will indicate whether your internal house wiring is affecting your speed.

The Error Guy
09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
och, neighbors are a touchy subject in this case (we objected to their fence, they didn't take it nicely, well the parents did, the kids got on fine) also from memory, the people that I know from down the road are either elderly with no broadband or on capped 5/10gb plans but I can try in any case, also ISP equipment differences and they might be on VDSL2 (not sure about VDSL though)

Cheers for help so far, ill try emailing telecom and orcon and ask (the chorus people spend a lot of time with one of the cabinets so they should have an idea of the equipment and what performance to expect