PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keyboard problem

Andrew B
09-10-2010, 06:38 AM
One of the keys on my Toshiba Satellite laptop isn't working as well as it used to, the H needs to pushed a lot harder than the rest of the keys do to make it work.

I guess it needs cleaning, is there anyway the keyboard can be easily dismantled to clean, or is it a job for the experts?

Thanks.

jareemon
09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
im not sure how different laptops are in their construction, but with mine, there are little keyboard release clips arount the edge of it, you need to look closely. this will let you take the keyboard out of the laptop (carefully unplug the ribbon cable) for closer inspection.

jinja_thom
09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Laptop keyboards tend to be sealed units so cannot be dismantled, they can be removed easily enough, but not taken apart.
I would wait till it gets near unusable and then replace the whole thing, a replacement new keyboard is about US$30 from pchub in Singapore or NZ$92 from the NZ agent, depending on the Toshiba model of course.

Renmoo
09-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Actually, the keys themselves can sometimes be removed. Not sure about your Toshiba laptop, but on my ASUS laptop, the individual keys can be ripped up and reinserted as required if there are anything jammed inside the unit.

Anything uneventful happened to your laptop keyboard recently? e.g. Liquid spilling, ate chips the other day and crumbs have got underneath etc.

Andrew B
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Ok thanks for all the replies, yes I do eat while I am using it, but no liquid has been spilt on it as far as i know. I'll try getting the key out and see wat I find.

Thanks

Renmoo
10-10-2010, 10:34 PM
You may consider purchasing an external keyboard instead - cheaper and the keys are wider.

Cheers :)

bk T
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
... they can be removed easily enough, ...

Not all laptop keyboards can be removed easily, though; it can be very difficult to remove, don't be surprised. It varies from model to model.

Cheapest way probably is getting an external keyboard!

B52
11-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello Andrew,

it is possible to clean a laptop keyboard, but as another poster had written, you may have to remove the whole keyboard. More about that later.

You can actually clean your laptop the same way you clean a normal keyboard but only *very carefully*. Start by switching it off, unplugging it and then removing the battery. This removes the risk of shorting yourself on the laptop and frying it's innards.

Flip upside down and shake gently. The screen should be perpendicular to the ground. You can then use canned air to blow out the (food) debris from under the keys. If that doesn't work then it maybe possible to pry out the key in question and clean under it. Problem solved. But a word of caution, the key may not actually re-attach.

The last solution would be to buy a new keyboard. Replacement is actually possible but it's a bloody fiddly job.

As you might have guessed, I also own a laptop and use a combination laptop stand and keyboard made by Logitech. The actual stand is no longer made and was replaced by a bluetooth version of it.

As for eating near a laptop, I do it too. I personally have an entire eco-system living under my logitech keyboard.

Renmoo
12-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Is it still within the warranty period, out of curiosity Andrew?

Blades
05-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Not all laptop keyboards (http://www.etech.com/laptops-laptop-keyboards--c1146_1159) can be removed easily, though; it can be very difficult to remove, don't be surprised. It varies from model to model.
Cheapest way probably is getting an external keyboard!
If you have a second keyboard or can borrow a compatible adapter from someone with the same model of laptop, you can try another keyboard.
ofcuase you can try it which is him says.

jareemon
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
ofcuase
Oh dear :rolleyes:

Andrew B
05-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Is it still within the warranty period, out of curiosity Andrew?

No, its well out of warranty now.

Andrew