PDA

View Full Version : Why is blogger so slow?

Lizard
08-10-2010, 07:57 PM
My wife blogs using Blogger but the last few weeks it's apparently slowed down hugely. I've tested it on different computers and browsers and it's more or less the same. General computer duties and browsing is otherwise fine. I know virtually nothing about Blogger so I'm not really in a place to advise. Anyone have any advice on why Blogger may be slow or how to fix it?

:pf1mobmini:

kahawai chaser
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't find it slow, after publishing content every few days, including a few hours today. When is it slow, during uploading/publishing? Is she using standard templates or custom templates? or multiple widgets? That I know can slow blogger publishing. Or if copying content from word programs into blogger, which can render uploads slow or corrupt - due to formatting issues.

kahawai chaser
08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Also some widgets (or template scripts) may be causing slow uploads due to scripting/server issues if connecting/seeking to another service - e.g. Friend Connect/Twitter/Online Book Marks, etc. To find out you need to eliminate one by one then re-upload. But some widgets or gadgets will auto reload (Blogger should warn which do or don't if I recall correctly...).

Therefore you need to back up certain gadgets (formerly page elements) and some generic widgets will be lost. Also back up the template by downloading it. Peter Chen from Blogger Tips and Tricks explains backing up widgets and templates. (http://www.blogger-book.com/2007/12/backup-page-elements-how.html)

Lizard
09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tips kahawai. My limited "troubleshooting" yesterday showed it was slow to login. I didn't experiment inside the blog very much, though my wife says it's been slowing down over the last few weeks to the point where its very difficult to write a new blog.

I'll pass on your tips and see what happens. I suspect she has a lot of widgets (Facebook, Twitter, and something called a Wibiya toolbar) which may be contributing to the slowdown. But I wouldn't have thought that would make it slow to login.

Cheers

Lizard

kahawai chaser
09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
There has been reported slow down issues with the Wibiya toolbar gadget/widget for blogger and I suspect when you log in it's trying to serve it up first to Google's servers, prior to viewing in design mode. Test by removing it. There is a script hack (http://www.anshuldudeja.com/2009/10/how-install-wibiya-toolbar-multi.html) that you can try so that it loads after the main blog- but back it up first along with the overall template.

Lizard
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
The Wibiya thing made me wonder too, but she reported slow downs before she installed it. I'll mention it to her and we'll probably start with Wibiya...

Cheers

Lizard

kahawai chaser
09-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Note also if she is adding images they are now automatically added to Google's Picassa Online, which I have found can slow things a bit - but that's after logging in of course.