PDA

View Full Version : Another blatant scam from India

Billy T
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Got a call from an Indian gent who said that my computer had a virus and hew as here to help me. I asked a few questions about how he knew I had a virus etc and he was evasive. There was no fun playing with him after that so I hung up.

Bugger me if he didn't ring right back so i asked a few more penetrating questions and he reckoned he could see it up on his screen etc so I hung up again and he got the message.

I could see where it was heading, I was either going to be given a URL to go to, or be asked to log in to their site (more likely I think, and naturally they would need my password etc :rolleyes:) either way the credit card number request was coming up fast.

There's a small flow of incoming investment or banking scam calls that I flick off, but this is the first claiming connectivity. I was a bit slow actually, I should have told him I don't have a computer, or that it was switched off!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :annoyed:

robbyp
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM
There are so many scams coming out of india, and that part of the world. SEO search engine optimization scams are the worst, and I get flooded with them.

Snorkbox
08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh well. We will set Paul Henry onto them when he gets back.

qazwsxokmijn
08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Should have kept up the convo and record ir!

SurferJoe46
08-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I love these kinda of calls!

I just speak in a very frail voice:::

"Would you take me home? They won't let me leave and I want to go home! If you come and get me, I can pay you all the money I have in the safe at home. Please - take me home.

Oh! They're coming to give me my pills now - PLEASE GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Marnie
08-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Got a call from an Indian gent who said that my computer had a virus and hew as here to help me. I asked a few questions about how he knew I had a virus etc and he was evasive. There was no fun playing with him after that so I hung up.

Bugger me if he didn't ring right back so i asked a few more penetrating questions and he reckoned he could see it up on his screen etc so I hung up again and he got the message.

I could see where it was heading, I was either going to be given a URL to go to, or be asked to log in to their site (more likely I think, and naturally they would need my password etc :rolleyes:) either way the credit card number request was coming up fast.

There's a small flow of incoming investment or banking scam calls that I flick off, but this is the first claiming connectivity. I was a bit slow actually, I should have told him I don't have a computer, or that it was switched off!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :annoyed:

You could ask the Indian government to issue an apology :D Oops did I say that?

Agent_24
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I love these kinda of calls!

"Would you take me home? They won't let me leave and I want to go home! If you come and get me, I can pay you all the money I have in the safe at home. Please - take me home.

I'll do that if a telemarketer ever rings me up again

jwil1
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I just say "Sorry, you've got the wrong number" and hang up :D

B.M.
09-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Are you sure it wasn’t some dikshit sheila calling Billy? :devil

pctek
09-10-2010, 02:51 PM

:clap:clap

Husband once did something similar - we had this list of Things To Say I found on the net. He chose one. They hung up and then the supervisor rang back and proceeded to complain. He pointed out they rang him, not the other way round, then selected another Thing To Say off the list - at which point the supervisor hung up and no-one called again.

Billy T
09-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I just say "Sorry, you've got the wrong number" and hang up :D

If I'm in a hurry I just say no thanks and put the phone down, but there's no sport in that, I prefer to get into them, it is good sport.

I break into Telemarketers' scripts by asking questions after every few words, like immediately after they say their company name and the obligatory "how's your day?" I ask what XYZ Co. does, then follow that theme with more questions, leading them further and further away from their script until I get to the 'no thanks'. If they continue, they get the 'what part of "no thanks" didn't you understand and a sharp click in their ear.

The smart ones know when to cut their losses and sometimes hang up before I do, but all legit Call Centres record evey call and the staff are subject to review of their performance on any particularly unsuccessful calls so they have to be a bit tolerant and patient.

It's good sport, and there's no shortage of triers. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)