PDA

View Full Version : HP - external USB; 6xread, 4xwrite, 4xre-write speeds. 1CD-R, 1CD-RW

11-09-2001, 10:56 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a CD writer and have been recommended the above one - essentially I want it to back up everything on my computer on one or two cds. Is this a good product. I have an HP Brio am running Windows 98 and Office 2000
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

12-09-2001, 12:16 AM
Unless you need it, an internal one will be cheaper and faster.

From what I have seen of the HP internal drives there is nothing wrong with them (except they lack RAW mode).

12-09-2001, 05:52 PM
I've got an 8x4x32 BTC CDRW and it works great.

12-09-2001, 07:40 PM
I have one of the writers you are considering and have found it excellent. It does have raw mode unlike some of the internal ones which will come in handy.
I would pay the extra for the external machine for the sheer convenience of being able to hook up to anything at all which I do quite often. I would say shop around as different places are offrering them for good prices at the moment approx $550.
Good luck.

12-09-2001, 09:17 PM
I too own an hp 8230e writer,Few things I don't like about it is the software it came with, 'HP My Cd' & the 3rd software upgrade this year,'Hp Record now'.
When copying a disc & using the cd-rom on computer as the reader there is no option available to copy image to hard disk first & when using the writer to read & write there is no option available to save the image to another hard disk,the default is c:\.
also it is not supported by roxio easy cd creator(www.roxio.com) & cd-r win (www.goldenhawk.com).
One Feature I do like is that it is hot plugable,ie:you dont have to turn your computer off to connect or disconnect writer.
cheers steve

13-09-2001, 12:12 PM
Ours came with Roxio Easy CD. It works well, is easy to use and it is good to be able to plug it in to other computers as necessary. It is a little slow compared to an internal drive and HP seems to alter the software packaged with it's writers regularly.