PDA

View Full Version : IE - Blergh

pctek
07-10-2010, 07:35 PM
At work I have to go to the net via Terminal Server and it has IE6. Ick.

PressF1 is horrible - all those ads and I can't open TABS either.

Makes you really appreciate the home comforts on your own PC.

And no, can't alter the arrangement there.

pcuser42
07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
:crying

Poor pctek!

xyz823
07-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Gutted.

nofam
07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
At work I have to go to the net via Terminal Server and it has IE6. Ick.

PressF1 is horrible - all those ads and I can't open TABS either.

Makes you really appreciate the home comforts on your own PC.

And no, can't alter the arrangement there.

Firstly, their sysadmin needs a kick in the arse for not upgrading IE. . . . .You could download Firefox portable?

somebody
07-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Firstly, their sysadmin needs a kick in the arse for not upgrading IE. . . . .You could download Firefox portable?

Sometimes its easier said than done. One of our clients is stuck on IE6 due to compatibility issues with legacy webapps - so they won't be upgrading from IE6 until those apps are decommissioned or replaced.

johcar
07-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Better still, ask if you can get Local Admin privileges and offer the install and "test" IE8 for them.

I assume they are running IE6 because their vendor has told them that their PAS is designed for IE6, however I found no issues running IE7 in a hospital environment with the PAS the hospital I was working in were running - the Java version was more critical.

Scouse
07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
As suggested in another post - I would lie low for about three months before telling the captain how to run the ship. Good luck and be patient.

nofam
07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Sometimes its easier said than done. One of our clients is stuck on IE6 due to compatibility issues with legacy webapps - so they won't be upgrading from IE6 until those apps are decommissioned or replaced.

Very true - I have a SaaS app that doesn't run on IE8, but does on IE7 (like a dog, but it does run).

But I still wouldn't expose my other users with a deprecated browser, so I put them on older PC's running Chrome (SaaS app is very JavaScript-y).

I guess it's the old trade-off between security and usability. . . .

ubergeek85
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
IE6?! If I had to use that every day I'd shoot myself.

I'm pretty sure that MS stopped updating that a while back...

The Error Guy
07-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Our school does something horrible along those lines, homepage is set to the schools site, nice advertising but we know where it what it is, really frustrating waiting for it to load only to move over to google, no tabs (they are disabled) instead its a nice new window. FF is installed but only admins can access.

It really is a joke

goodiesguy
07-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Our school has IE6 *screams in terror*. though some of the pc's have IE7, and if i'm lucky, a few of them have working firefox.

pcuser42
07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Some of the computers in the computer lab at my school have Firefox set as default because of students not listening :D

Otherwise it's an almost-fully-functioning IE7.

johcar
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Some of the computers in the computer lab at my school have Firefox set as default because of students not listening :D

Otherwise it's an almost-fully-functioning IE7.

Oxymoron (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoron).

You can't mention IE (any version) in conjunction with the following words:

Safe
Usable
Customisable
Functional
Good-looking
Fast
Open standards

Fifthdawn
07-10-2010, 10:02 PM
At my school they used the inbuilt windows thing to limit IE7 so we couldnt use it for much, helpfully they had installed FireFox which wasnt affected by their draconian lockdown.

Just go to the advanced->network tab and change the proxy from balblablblah.blah.student.proxy to balblablblah.blah.staff.proxy and get 10MBs up and down

xyz823
07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Mix of IE8 on all the school PC's here.

Although they balance it out by making us do a print design assesment on Corel Draw and Corel Photo Paint 10. Also we use Alice for our programming! Only other assesment during the year is Excel - most of which a 5 year old could learn.

FYI - This is at level 3.

nofam
07-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Safe
Usable
Customisable
Functional
Good-looking
Fast
Open standards

Sounds like my perfect woman actually. . . . .:D

ubergeek85
07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
:xmouth:

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
It's interesting, where I work we're currently doing an ISMS audit, and we're asking ourselves "Do we remove browsers as part of the software clean-up?".

In the corporate world, you've gotta remember if there's 500 machines all updating once a month with a 15MB download, that's 7.5GB. What about machines that have more than one browser, such as Firefox and Opera. Suddenly you've doubled that again.

With IE, you can push patches centrally through a WSUS server. You *know* if there's vulnerabilities you're exposed to, where as it becomes more difficult to keep track of the vulnerabilities and exploits for half a dozen browsers, each with their own update schedule etc.

Then you've got to factor in the whole "Will Site X work with Browser Y?", and you can largely thank IE for that predicament ;)

Either way, I'd try for Firefox / Chrome Portable, but as Scouse said, I'd take a few months before telling them how to run the place, unless specifically employed to consult on that particular matter ;)

johcar
07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds like my perfect woman actually. . . . .:D

Just watch out for viruses. Wear Trojans. :D

nofam
07-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Just watch out for viruses. Wear Trojans. :D

Indeed - I usually put on several simultaneously!!

Take it from me though Johcar - don't use Norton's. . . . it dulls the pleasure to the point where you wonder why you don't just do it manually. :xmouth:

pctek
08-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Mmmm, I haven't actually got Internet access. Which is why I go via Terminal Server.

In fact I haven't got all my accesses yet - they add them in a bit at a time, as I get to grips with what I'm supposed to be doing.

IE 6 is standard anyway I think, well at least with TS, always getting user requests for IE 8 but they're not doing it just yet. They're not speedy.

I could try but I suspect if I did download it, it wouldn't help because I still have to use TS for the net.

Hey, at least I get to do that, not locked out totally. Haven't had a huge amount of time for it anyway, still reading piles of documentation on medical apps and stuff.

Cicero
08-10-2010, 07:19 AM
As suggested in another post - I would lie low for about three months before telling the captain how to run the ship. Good luck and be patient.

Quite right S.

The Error Guy
08-10-2010, 08:21 AM
At my school they used the inbuilt windows thing to limit IE7 so we couldnt use it for much, helpfully they had installed FireFox which wasnt affected by their draconian lockdown.

Just go to the advanced->network tab and change the proxy from balblablblah.blah.student.proxy to balblablblah.blah.staff.proxy and get 10MBs up and down

We used to bypass the proxy with FF, it used to support direct connections so if there were no proxy details entered you could get youtube and google. it got fixed:rolleyes:

pcuser42
08-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Oxymoron (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoron).

You can't mention IE (any version) in conjunction with the following words:

Safe
Usable
Customisable
Functional
Good-looking
Fast
Open standards

Fully functioning by IE standards of course. :p

We used to bypass the proxy with FF, it used to support direct connections so if there were no proxy details entered you could get youtube and google. it got fixed

The only thing we can do in Firefox without proxy settings is access the school's webmail (which ironically doesn't work once you import the proxy settings from IE).