PDA

View Full Version : Best brand for 2tb drive

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I am still slowly going on my freenas box and thought it might be a good idea to look at the hard drives so I know what to buy when I get money.
So what brand and model are the best to get from PB?

SolMiester
07-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Spinpoint F3! (sp)

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Get yourself the WD My Book Essentials, and get 2x 1.5TB drives for the similar sort of price as 1x 2TB. RAID them in RAID-1 or something, with that much data, it's a mission to back up. I've got 5TB and now I'm just going through the process of buying additional drives to either RAID or rsync nightly.

pctek
07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
WD

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Chill: Um is that not an external drive?
pctek: Thanks I thought so, thanks for backing up that opinion.
I am slowly thinking about maybe not getting 2tb drives to save me some money. Maybe 1tb or 1.5tbs.
Oh also what would be the best SATA raid card that can support RAID5?

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2010, 09:36 PM
It is, but does your file server have gigabit ethernet? Coz for most they only run at 100mbit yet usb is 480. Do you want raid or do you want it to just sync between drives nightly? If you just sync nightly then it means you can easily pull the drive out and put it into any machine.

:pf1mobmini:

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Well I am hoping to setup RAID5, so which raid card would be the best to get?

Chilling_Silence
07-10-2010, 10:25 PM
You're using FreeNAS, and so most people here will likely have absolutely no idea what cards are supported by BSD and what aren't.

Besides, if I remember rightly, you can do software RAID.

However, there is merit in doing nightly sync's. With software RAID, you potentially can't just pull the drive out and plug it in elsewhere, hence why I suggested just nightly syncing.

I've just done what you're looking at doing, so just sharing what I discovered. I actually looked at WHS but it didn't look totally suitable for a variety of reasons. I must say though it *did* have just on 100 updates to install on first boot :D

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
So what are you using?

Agent_24
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
The Newegg reviews seem to suggest that the Samsung drives are the most reliable

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I've just done an Alix system running Voyage Linux with 2x USB drives. 2x 1.5TB drives, all locked away in a safe, along with the Alix server, which is bolted to the ground. Just LAN to the Alix and power to the Alix + Drives is coming out of it. One drive nightly rsyncs everything in the folder to the other, so everything is stored in:
/mnt/sda1/data
to
/mnt/sdb1/data

We do it this way so we don't have to mess with the System Volume Information folders etc.
Rsync is also really quick which is handy, not to mention it'll remove files from the destination which are no longer there!

To be honest, it'd potentially be nicer if I was doing it with Ext3 or whatever, but the advantage with using NTFS is that in the event of a major disaster, they're not restricted to copying things off at 100m/bit. They can pull out one drive (Or both) and plug them into almost any bog standard windows desktop (Win9x exempt) and copy the files off. If I had used soft-RAID then that wouldn't work.

We looked at encryption, but they didn't care, due to the fact it's locked in a fireproof safe which is securely bolted to massive concrete slabs in the floor. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's not bad ;)

I'm also looking at doing a similar setup at home, I have 2x 1.5TB USB drives currently hooked up to my WDTV which is sharing them via samba. I've got an internal 1.5TB, 750GB and a 500GB in my Desktop also with other things.

What's on the 2x 1.5TB USB drives hooked up to the WDTV is most important (Family photos & videos that can't be replaced), so I'm about to setup nightly mirroring between the drives, as the wifey likes to move around the photos every now and then as she renames them or whatever.

I was looking at Windows Home Server, but it's far too complicated and messy. I'm also looking at going FreeNAS, as I've used it successfully in the past. They always want you to format as UFS though, and they constantly warn against NTFS, so I'm of two minds about what FS to use in that regards. I wonder how much truth there is to it, or if it's worth taking the risk and I should just use UFS. Using UFS means I can't just pull out the drives and plug them into a machine though. Less of an issue, they're mostly just used as data storage, but still something I like to keep in mind

Something I've learned in hindsight, keep the SD card SWMBO uses in her camera small, so that she's frugal with her snaps ;)

Anyways, I've ranted on long enough, hopefully you've been able to glean something semi-useful from it :D

nedkelly
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah should give me stuff to think about, so what is a good SATA Raid card that supports RAID5?
Hmm if I did think about encryption what would be the best way to do it.
<< Bit of linux noob.

SolMiester
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I've just done an Alix system running Voyage Linux with 2x USB drives. 2x 1.5TB drives, all locked away in a safe, along with the Alix server, which is bolted to the ground. Just LAN to the Alix and power to the Alix + Drives is coming out of it. One drive nightly rsyncs everything in the folder to the other, so everything is stored in:
/mnt/sda1/data
to
/mnt/sdb1/data

We do it this way so we don't have to mess with the System Volume Information folders etc.
Rsync is also really quick which is handy, not to mention it'll remove files from the destination which are no longer there!

To be honest, it'd potentially be nicer if I was doing it with Ext3 or whatever, but the advantage with using NTFS is that in the event of a major disaster, they're not restricted to copying things off at 100m/bit. They can pull out one drive (Or both) and plug them into almost any bog standard windows desktop (Win9x exempt) and copy the files off. If I had used soft-RAID then that wouldn't work.

We looked at encryption, but they didn't care, due to the fact it's locked in a fireproof safe which is securely bolted to massive concrete slabs in the floor. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's not bad ;)

I'm also looking at doing a similar setup at home, I have 2x 1.5TB USB drives currently hooked up to my WDTV which is sharing them via samba. I've got an internal 1.5TB, 750GB and a 500GB in my Desktop also with other things.

What's on the 2x 1.5TB USB drives hooked up to the WDTV is most important (Family photos & videos that can't be replaced), so I'm about to setup nightly mirroring between the drives, as the wifey likes to move around the photos every now and then as she renames them or whatever.

I was looking at Windows Home Server, but it's far too complicated and messy. I'm also looking at going FreeNAS, as I've used it successfully in the past. They always want you to format as UFS though, and they constantly warn against NTFS, so I'm of two minds about what FS to use in that regards. I wonder how much truth there is to it, or if it's worth taking the risk and I should just use UFS. Using UFS means I can't just pull out the drives and plug them into a machine though. Less of an issue, they're mostly just used as data storage, but still something I like to keep in mind

Something I've learned in hindsight, keep the SD card SWMBO uses in her camera small, so that she's frugal with her snaps ;)

Anyways, I've ranted on long enough, hopefully you've been able to glean something semi-useful from it :D

How about Nexenta

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3963/zfs-building-testing-and-benchmarking

faith1806
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
The Newegg reviews seem to suggest that the Samsung drives are the most reliable

i do not like Samsung that i brought a Samgung cellphone four months ago. it always work wrong, and i think it is a ****

Chilling_Silence
08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
To be honest I have no idea what does / doesn't support SATA RAID. And FreeNAS is BSD, not Linux, hence why even fewer people may know what to suggest. Though, I'm sure there is a hardware compatibility list somewhere for *BSD.

To be honest, this was what I'm thinking of doing for a final solution:
- 2x 1.5TB drives, USB in my case because I've got a 1U fanless Atom solution
- Format both as NTFS and mount them as /mnt/sda1 and /mnt/sdb1
- Install TrueCrypt and make a growing container inside each that can take up the whole. - Have unique passwords for each and manually mount them on boot as /mnt/secure1 and /mnt/secure2
- Depending on how anal I'm feeling when I set it up, I could always go with a hidden container, but the Mrs is mostly just wanting to prevent against theft, if thieves stole the HDDs, so it's probably overkill
- Dunno what I'd format the containers as, maybe NTFS also? Performance isn't really an issue with so few users so that could work well, it's gonna be that or Ext3 most likely
- Add to the cron.nightly an rsync from /secure1 to /secure2
- Setup samba on the home network with basically no security. No need, nobody plugs into the WiFi (WPA2 + MAC filter is secure enough) and physically ... same deal ...

What do you think of a setup like that? I'm interested in feedback too :)

SolMiester,
Thanks for that, interesting wee read. To be honest I'm thinking of sticking with NTFS because it means I have a certain amount of portability with most linux, and almost all windows machines, for whatever reason. I doubt it'd come to it, but in the event the motherboard on that machine died for example, I wanna know that at the drop of a hat she can plug it into her windows laptop, download TrueCrypt, pop in the password, and she can see all her photos.

Thanks though :)

Chill.

Agent_24
08-10-2010, 08:14 PM
i do not like Samsung that i brought a Samgung cellphone four months ago. it always work wrong, and i think it is a ****

Wow, your reply has got to be the best so far!

GameJunkie
08-10-2010, 08:32 PM

we're talking about hard drives here, not cellphones......

icow
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
WD

GameJunkie
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM
WD, cant fault them at all