PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drive recommendations

Tony
07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm off to UK for three weeks in November, and I think I will take a flash drive with me with various bits of personal stuff on it. I want to get one that is (a) fast and (b) secure - encryption, separate secure partition etc.

Any recommendations? I've had a look around the net, and nothing leaps out at me. Most of the "name" manufacturers offer something of this nature, but personal experience is always a good indicator. It doesn't have to be particularly high capacity.

All advice welcome.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Most are fast. Just buy one and install something like truecrypt portable on it, to encrypt it. Just dont forget the password. Or you'll never get into it! It looks like some kingston flash drives have AES 256 bit encryption.

If you want one (so you can put programs on it), get a U3 flash drive. Then you wont have to install whatever on a computer

Tony
07-10-2010, 08:51 AM
The reason I mentioned speed was that I have looked at Firefox portable to give some security in internet cafes etc., and it ran like a dog on my current USB drive - a Kingston Data Traveller. Also when I was trawling the net there was a range of speeds quoted from "standard" - whatever that means - up.

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Instead of getting a U3 just get a normal flash drive and install Portableapps on it.

zqwerty
07-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Chrome Portable is very fast from a usb drive:

http://portableapps.com/news/2010-09-30_-_google_chrome_portable_7.0.517.24_beta

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I had the entire suite on my flash drive when at college

Tony
07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Instead of getting a U3 just get a normal flash drive and install Portableapps on it.U3?

kahawai chaser
07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Or maybe also upload certain document/photo's online as a back up. I use Microsoft's Sky Drive (http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive), Picassa Online, and Gmail. I did online back ups, after losing one of my pen drives in a clothing recycling bin...

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
+1 for piacsa.

U3 is a special type of flash drive that has its own kind of start menu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

SolMiester
07-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I usually buy Corsair Voyagers, they go up to 128GB from 4GB and are one of the most robust and quickest around.
Here is the padlock version
http://www.corsair.com/products/padlock2/default.aspx

nedkelly
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
ok now that is an awesome flash drive, and looks nice too

07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Are write protect USB sticks still availabe??
They used to have a switch that turned off writing to the drive, excellent for keeping viruses at bay.

Wouldn't a encrypted USB be open to virus infection(internet cafe's etc) as soon as you stick in the passkey ?? ??

Tony
07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Are write protect USB sticks still availabe??
They used to have a switch that turned off writing to the drive, excellent for keeping viruses at bay.

Wouldn't a encrypted USB be open to virus infection(internet cafe's etc) as soon as you stick in the passkey ?? ??Good point. Any opinions?

Renmoo
11-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I think I will take a flash drive with me with various bits of personal stuff on it.
What personal stuff would you be generally carrying, if you don't mind me asking?

The reason I mentioned speed was that I have looked at Firefox portable to give some security in internet cafes etc., and it ran like a dog on my current USB drive - a Kingston Data Traveller. Also when I was trawling the net there was a range of speeds quoted from "standard" - whatever that means - up.
Prior to using Firefox, what you can do is to copy the entire portableapps folder containing Firefox into the hard drive first before using the application. That will help to overcome the latency that occurs between your flash drive and the host hard drive as the program runs.

If you are paranoid about keyloggers, you can use on-screen keyboards for any information input.

Cheers :)

SolMiester
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't a encrypted USB be open to virus infection(internet cafe's etc) as soon as you stick in the passkey ?? ??

Yes, of course!, as soon as a disk is writable, its open to infection