PDA

View Full Version : Password box

11-09-2001, 09:27 PM
Hi, I would like to get rid of the password box that comes up each time windows98 starts. I have tried not typing a password and deleting all password files.I think its coupled with not being able to save the password in Internet Explorer, which I would like to do also.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks
actrx

11-09-2001, 09:56 PM
The way to stop the box coming up at the start is to go into 'Network' from Control Panel, and change the 'Primary Network Logon' from 'Client for Microsoft Networks' to 'Windows Logon'.
This however may not solve your problem of not being able to save your password. If you occasionally use another ISP and you don't save your password for this, it may cause your password not to be saved on your default connection.

12-09-2001, 08:42 AM
if that fails you can get some more info at the following link

http://www.geocities.com/budallen98_98/dunpass.html

12-09-2001, 01:38 PM
Hi, unfortunately these two requirements are mutually exclusive. If you do not login to windows when you load it with a valid username and password windows will not know who you are and will not be able to open the file called 'username'.pwl in which it stores your passwords.The first time you login with a username and password windows creates the .pwl file and every time you login after that the correct password causes that file to be opened and any passwords stored there become available for windows to insert in the appropriate field.The only password windows does not save ever is the windows login password, you always have to type that one in. Hope this helps.PC

17-09-2001, 05:13 PM
Search for a .pwl file and delete. When you reboot next time and it prompts for a password, click on OK and it should be sweet.