PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Files

blennox
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I have thousands of duplicate files. The problem is I do not know which ones to delete. I have many instances as follows:
File Name NlsData0001.dll same name for all three
One copy of a file has a path c:\Windows\System32\
the next has c:\Windows|winsxs\x86_microsoft_windowsblah blah blah 1x34
another has c:\Windows|winsxs\x86_microsoft_windowsblah blah blah 1xx42
the MD5 wharever that is is the same for all three

which can be deleted?

GameJunkie
05-10-2010, 09:18 PM
its apart of windows so i would leave it alone

SP8's
05-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Blennox .... are duplicates being generated every time you start your computer or have you just noticed them in a folder somewhere ?? A little more info might be needed ... like how did you find out that you had thousands of of duplicate files ???
Comp Specs, OS, and Antivirus / malware / spyware programs your using.

zqwerty
05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
There are many legitimate duplicate files in a normal Windows operating system, HDD space is cheap these days don't worry about it.

Do not become obsessive compulsive about your computer, it is an easy thing to do, if it is working ok just leave it alone.

Deimos
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
You can safely say that anything in the system root folder (i.e. C:\Windows) needs to be left alone.
If you have duplicate files elsewhere you can use Treesize to find and clean them up...

pctek
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM
I have thousands of duplicate files. The problem is I do not know which ones to delete. I have many instances as follows:
File Name NlsData0001.dll same name for all three
One copy of a file has a path c:\Windows\System32\
the next has c:\Windows|winsxs\x86_microsoft_windowsblah blah blah 1x34
another has c:\Windows|winsxs\x86_microsoft_windowsblah blah blah 1xx42
the MD5 wharever that is is the same for all three

What malware protection are you using? I saw something like that once - scanning with MSSE - the infection had written a bunch of bogus files in Sys32 - realfile.dll gave realfile01.dll, realfile001.dll etc etc. MSSE cleaned them all out and all was well.

I wouldn't mess about with them unless your anti-malware flags them as bogus, but run a scan anyway. With all your AVs and ASs.

SP8's
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
+1 for pcteks advice

I seem to remember some nasty that kept duplicating files until it filled up the HD ... that's why I was asking whether it was duplicating files at start up or not.

blennox
06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks all. I will leave well alone. The files aren't adding each time I reboot. I am using an APP called Dupicate Cleaner, deleted 5000 duplicated photos last night.