PDA

View Full Version : Formatting a main hard drive

11-09-2001, 07:32 PM
I'm just wanting to know whats involved in formating my hard drive?
What files do i have to back up!. Do i have to back up all my .DILL,.DRV,.SYS,.VXD,.386 and .INI files.
Also Whats the best procedure?

Thanks for all your help!

11-09-2001, 08:07 PM
You should only need to backup your personal data, eg documents, email, addressbook etc.

The main reason for a reinstall is to get rid of all the unwanted DLLs etc.

If you don't have a cdwriter of other storage I would make a folder eg C:\BACKUP and copy everything there (make sure you don't forget anything).

Then shutdown to DOS mode (preferably from a boot disk with CD support), then start deleting stuff, eg WINDOWS, PROGRAM FILES etc.

Then start the win9x installer. Possibly run a defrag.
Then reinstall all your apps and updates. And run another defrag.

Then restore your files from the BACKUP folder, or CDs.

13-09-2001, 10:56 AM
I've just done this on a PC and the main point is preparation as you will wipe the hard drive completely. Remember to back up your personal files, emails, address book and favorites to a CD or Zip drive. You may also need to download drivers for your graphics and sound cards etc. Check out the Microsoft support site or do an internet search to find out how to back up Outlook Express files. Also how to use the utility FDISK which comes with Windows to reformat the hard drive. Backing up stuff is the hard part. Formating and reinstalling is pretty straight forward. It is good to get the computer working like new!

13-09-2001, 07:39 PM
you could partition drive in 2 if you want and then save all essential data to d: and reinstal windows in c:
contact me if you want more advice