PDA

View Full Version : Which Laser printer?

Brucem
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I am currently on my 2nd laser printer, 1st was HP5L which got quite expensive to run as I had had to replace the pick-up rollers several times and it seemed to be ready for a new set. Next was a Brother HL-2040, which now requires a new drum as well as a toner cartridge. The drum is about $40 dearer than I can get an equivalent Brother laser printer (HL-2140). This is available at $119, and I am also looking at a Canon LBP6000 at $129. The Brother uses separate drum and toner, and in the Canon they are combined. The Brother is a bit quicker (claimed 22 v 18 ppm). Has anyone any comments on the best bet?

05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
A 5L is a really old printer. Hardly surprising it needed new pickup rollers. :clap

How many pages do you print per month ??
These printers arnt designed for big print runs or constant useage.

Remember , sub $200 laser's will be cheap & nasty. Dont expect to much, dont expect they will ever be economic to repair.
I would check the cartridge price of the Canon , & its approx pages per cart.
Also, chances are that neither will come with a FULL toner cart (they may have 'starter cartridges' )

Personally I would prefer Canon/HP laser.

Winston001
05-10-2010, 12:04 PM
The HP5L was a fine printer in its day - we had one at work for 10 years with very few repairs.

I use a Brother HL-2040 right now at home and fully realise it will be binned rather than buy a new drum. Planned obsolescence.....:dogeye: what a waste.

nedkelly
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I have the Brother HL-2140 laser printer and love it. Runs very nice.

Nomad
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I still have a 6L that works :D
Going to any modern laser, I wouldn't be worried about speed at all.

My 6L would crap up when you feed a PDF brochure to it. It either takes some mins to process or that it spits out garble. We got a Canon MFC laser 2yr ago I think, and it just comes out without any delay. I don't think it would print 18ppm unless you were printing v simple texts, I doubt MS Word would even do that if you have decent amount of business formats, tables, TOC, Index etc etc ...

Nomad
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
For those prices and in time for a drum replacement, wouldn't it be better to just get a new printer?

Brucem
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the various comments. The original query was to get opinions on best buy between Brother & Canon. I looked at both at Dick Smith, and decided that the Brother 2140 looked more solid, and has an enclosed paper tray which the Canon didn't seem to have, and it would do a manual duplex, which I couldn't find any reference to with the Canon. In addition it was $10 cheaper @ $119. So I bought one. Seems ok so far. The HP5L that I had cost me $931.50 including a parallel cable in November 1995. The Brother 2040 cost $129 in 2006 a USB cable was included, although the new one didn't, not that I need it.