PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 64bit/vista 32bit dual boot

feersumendjinn
04-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I want to do the above, easy/difficult?, (will be on two separate SATA drives).
Guess I'll need Easybcd.
Win 7 Ultimate/upgrade version will go on new (to be C: ) drive, Vista SP2/OEM version already exists on current C: drive.
Anything I should be careful of?

I guess I need another antivirus solution for the other OS too, wont I? (Haven't done this before :eek::)).

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Shouldnt be a prob if Vista is/was on it already. And youre going to put x64 on the other hdd. You shouldnt need Easybcd. It (should) still create a menu to select either (once x64 has been installed)

I had both on here (until Vista decided not too boot for some reason). So, had to start from scratch again. Dont think it was because I was dual booting off 2 partitions tho

feersumendjinn
04-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Do I leave the Vista drive connected while installing 7 (so it detects it) or not, (it reassigns the C: drive to the Win 7 drive?); sorry if thats a dumb question :).

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Do I leave the Vista drive connected while installing 7 (so it detects it) or not, (it reassigns the C: drive to the Win 7 drive?); sorry if thats a dumb question :).

Yup, leave it connected, otherwise, you'll have to change the bootdisk in the BIOS, to change between the 2. Just make sure you select the right hdd when you install Win7

Win7's install will see the Vista hdd, and should (after Win7 has been installed), give you a menu to select either (to boot from).

Win7's hdd maybe C, because it'll be on a separate hdd (it wont format Vista's hdd, unless you choose the wrong hdd when you install Win7).

But once both have been installed Win7's letter maybe D or other, if you boot into Vista. Depending on what else is installed in the system (ie: like card readers)

feersumendjinn
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Excellent, :thanks Speedy for the help.

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Sweet no probs :)

Snorkbox
04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Whichever Drive you boot off will become the C: drive and the other will become D: assuming you only have one partition on each physical drive.