PDA

View Full Version : PCtek Starts Work

pctek
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Actually I quite like it so far.
The sucky thing is they voted for no breaks - just an hour lunch.

What do you do for an hour at lunch? Not near a shop or anything....nah.....one of the other ladies just keeps on with her 1/2 hour. So might I.

Cuppa in the am and 1/2 lunch and back to it. I hate time wasting.

somebody
04-10-2010, 08:09 PM
"Voted" for no breaks? Is this one of those highly unionised workplaces?

Why won't they let you trade your 1 hr lunch for a 1/2 hour lunch + 2x 15min breaks?

pctek
04-10-2010, 08:18 PM
unionised workplaces?

Why won't they let you trade your 1 hr lunch for a 1/2 hour lunch + 2x 15min breaks?
Nope not a union, they just had a democratic vote apparently.

I intend to adjust mine. More like 10 mins in the am, then lunch. Without voting.

tuiruru
04-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Good luck anyway PCtek! Well Done! :clap

roddy_boy
04-10-2010, 11:48 PM
You're legally entitled to 2 paid 10 min breaks and an unpaid half hour break, and these have to spread out evenly.

pctek
05-10-2010, 07:04 AM
You're legally entitled to 2 paid 10 min breaks and an unpaid half hour break, and these have to spread out evenly.

Apparently not:

Rest and meal breaks --- what youíre entitled to

Employees will be entitled to the following paid rest breaks and unpaid meal breaks:

* two paid 10-minute rest breaks and one unpaid 30-minute meal break if their work period is between six and eight hours.

If more than an eight hour period is worked, these requirements automatically extend to cover the additional hours on the same basis.

Timing of rest and meal breaks
The timing of rest and meal breaks is flexible and can follow any arrangement agreed between employer and employee.

If an agreement canít be reached, the rest and meal breaks should be spread evenly throughout the work period, where reasonable and practicable.

Marnie
05-10-2010, 08:04 AM
It sounds as though they could be flexible with a give and take situation.
An hour can be too long when there isn't anything else you could do. I like your idea. Those few minutes for a cuppa can make all the difference to refresh you.

Best of luck in the job.

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Awesome, hope it works out for ya :)

Cicero
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Well we have heard of you rights,now lets hear about your doings.

05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Perhaps dont rock the boat so early in in new job.
Wait till after 3 months :rolleyes:

prefect
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Smoke breaks

inphinity
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Smoke breaks

Should be banned.

DeSade
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Should be banned.
+1

johcar
05-10-2010, 06:20 PM
+1

+2

pctek
05-10-2010, 07:56 PM
lets hear about your doings.

It's just helpdesk.

pctek
05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
And for the smoking polices information I took break different today.

I had exactly 4 minutes at morning tea. Then I took 1/2 hour at lunch - colleague took his 1 hr so I continued with some stuff we both had been doing before.....

So. Who's having the most time on breaks?? Not me.

SP8's
05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Must be pcteck's shout this Friday then .... I'll just have a cold Speights thanks :D

Cicero
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
It's just helpdesk.

Is it what we would think,or is it a rewarding job?

ubergeek85
05-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Remember, www.thedailywtf.com if you get anything interesting!

pctek
06-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Is it what we would think,or is it a rewarding job?

It's just helpdesk. I'm still figuring out what apps are what - from the names, it means nothing to me yet - there's apparently 900 apps - mostly medical stuff.

Mostly I can't help with those and just have to forward to the appropriate team - learning who all the
are too at the moment.

There was one yesterday though, and I knew exactly what it's problem was, can't sort it for her though - my colleague didn't know. But then years of de-malwareing PCs gives me that info...........

Actually my colleague wasn't aware it's fairly standard having 4GB RAm in laptops these days either........

It's OK, not terrible or anything, just different. Ages since I've been in an enterprise environment. AD (what I've used of it so far) is easy - that's another thing I haven't used - being a plain old tech for so long.........

SolMiester
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
It's just helpdesk. I'm still figuring out what apps are what - from the names, it means nothing to me yet - there's apparently 900 apps - mostly medical stuff.

Mostly I can't help with those and just have to forward to the appropriate team - learning who all the
are too at the moment.

There was one yesterday though, and I knew exactly what it's problem was, can't sort it for her though - my colleague didn't know. But then years of de-malwareing PCs gives me that info...........

Actually my colleague wasn't aware it's fairly standard having 4GB RAm in laptops these days either........

It's OK, not terrible or anything, just different. Ages since I've been in an enterprise environment. AD (what I've used of it so far) is easy - that's another thing I haven't used - being a plain old tech for so long.........

AD is quite cool when you start using GPO's, not as good as Novell NDS and Zen, but still....works!

pctek
06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
AD is quite cool

Yes, all looks quite easy.

All a big cheat really - this Quickpush thing too for apps (in remote tools) - no more actually going and inserting disks.

What do all these lazy people do with their time, I don't know, back in the old days....blah blah. :devil