PDA

View Full Version : Manage Boarding House Internet

berryb
04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Looking for options for controlling internet usage in a boarding house environment.

Tenants would have a set limit per month with the option of purchasing more data if limit was reached.

Not that it matters but rooms will have wired and wireless access.

What recommendations do you have for the backbone management onsite software or third party offsite management?

Im starting from scratch here so open to all options but has to be easy for tenants and management to use.

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
What version of windows is on these PC's?

berryb
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
It's a boarding house! Tenants computers could be PC, Linux, Mac or whatever.

Not after software for the client but require a software or hardware solution at the gateway.

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Well if theres a router use QOS or something. Limit their usage

inphinity
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
How are you going to identify the users - by IP address, hostname, requiring a logon through a web proxy?

berryb
04-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I expect to identify users by username/password but what the best way is, is why I started the post.,

I have experience with IPCOP and now started using Edian Firewall but niether will do what I want - I don't think. I think Edian has a paid version that can do HotSpots but am still to read up on it.

Paying is not an issue, after something that is easy to use and management.

Chilling_Silence
04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
You want either WebGauge or Gargoyle.

Gargoyle on a WRT54GL sounds like your best bet, its piss easy to setup and can either throttle or stop data after it reaches X amount. You can set across the board limits with a per-device override if they're paying you more.

Sing out if you need more help with setting it up :)

Cheers

Chill.

berryb
04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks. Will check them out and come back to you.

wratterus
04-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah, what Chill said. Webgauge is pretty mint if you don't mind paying.

somebody
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Another option is to get something which is hooked up to Tomizone or similar - that way you don't have to handle payments either...

utopian201
05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
You want either WebGauge or Gargoyle.

Gargoyle on a WRT54GL sounds like your best bet, its piss easy to setup and can either throttle or stop data after it reaches X amount. You can set across the board limits with a per-device override if they're paying you more.

Sing out if you need more help with setting it up :)

Cheers

Chill.

+1. Tomato and DD-WRT are also considerations.

berryb
06-10-2010, 01:01 AM
From what I have read so far WebGauge authenticates by username/password and Gargoyle by IP address. Is this correct?

For this boarding house authentication by username/password would be much easier to manage as no configuration of IP address is needed. Remove the username as a tenant moves out and create a new one for the new tenant.

The site is rather large and will require more than one access point to get coverage. I am not sure what hardware to use yet but may use EnGenius or soething with POE if possible.

somebody
06-10-2010, 07:31 AM
From what I have read so far WebGauge authenticates by username/password and Gargoyle by IP address. Is this correct?

For this boarding house authentication by username/password would be much easier to manage as no configuration of IP address is needed. Remove the username as a tenant moves out and create a new one for the new tenant.

The site is rather large and will require more than one access point to get coverage. I am not sure what hardware to use yet but may use EnGenius or soething with POE if possible.

WebGauge tracks based on the hardware address of each device connected, so even if the IP address changes it still assigns the usage to the right person.

Pete O'Neil
07-10-2010, 01:42 PM
What you need is a router with a captive portal, have a look at something like pfSense. pfSense will run on a old x86 machine with dual NIC's, or you could look at something like a PC Engines board.

If you think there may be a good number of people using the internet it might be worth setting up a proxy like squid to cache things like Windows updates, may end up saving you a good chunk of data.

If you set-up pfSense at the gateway you could add additional NIC's have several networks, one for the boarding house with captive portal enabled and one for your own personal use that would function like a normal network.