PDA

View Full Version : sub $2000 gaming laptop suggestions

Kindel
03-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Thread title, basically. What's are some best performance bang for buck laptops in this price range?

:pf1mobmini:

Snorkbox
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
I would not even think about gaming on a laptop around that budget.

Battleneter2
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Kindel state what games you would hope to play, 2K is a tall order for a gaming lappy.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 01:49 PM
If you need it for school, you don't really need a laptop. I was there, but I didn't play games. But due to student budget I had the same 2nd hand laptop, they used to be $1,800 new for a b/w one - 486DX3 in my days, I used them for 2-3yrs only to get another 2nd hand laptop ... while being outdated by software and bogged down by utility software.

I didn't move it away from my desk other than 05% of the time.
If you took it to uni, they threw things at you, :p

These days I would add that you can play games but not with a $2k laptop IMO. Maybe you could just drop your settings down. I'm sure it would run, being excited if you are used to a PC might be different issue.

More over, for normal school work and office work, any laptops will do however.

pctek
03-10-2010, 02:04 PM
sub $2000 gaming laptop

There isn't. laptops are not designed for gaming. If you want it capable then you need to double the budget. At least. Gaming - get a desktop.

Kindel
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Okay let's say 'best bang for buck performance-wise' under $2k.

Forget the gaming bit. It's for my brother, intended use is video editing etc. I said gaming because that requires similar horsepower. Put it this way, anything out there that will equal a Core 2 Duo E8400 with a Radeon 4850 and 2 gigs of ram, which is what he currently uses and finds sufficient.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 05:13 PM
There isn't. laptops are not designed for gaming. If you want it capable then you need to double the budget. At least. Gaming - get a desktop.

Couldn't they drop the reso down and just be able to play the game?
Of course not as good as a PC thou.

Nomad
03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Okay let's say 'best bang for buck performance-wise' under $2k.

Forget the gaming bit. It's for my brother, intended use is video editing etc. I said gaming because that requires similar horsepower. Put it this way, anything out there that will equal a Core 2 Duo E8400 with a Radeon 4850 and 2 gigs of ram, which is what he currently uses and finds sufficient.

Video editing is not video card intensive, afaik it is CPU and disk speed.
Be prepared for a brick than all the nicer more portable designs you see now vs the past. You'll prob want 7200RPM HDDs than the 5400 ones for eg. Dunno, could you get a Quad CPU with that? Hey, I think i5 CPUs are around $1,600 arn't they?

kenj
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
It depends on what sort of video you want to edit. SD and HD have different requirements. Different types of HD also have different requirements. Nomad is right... CPU does most of the work in AVCHD editing.

Pretty well any old clunker will handle SD, but I do some editing for my son (and myself, the odd time when I borrow his camcorder)

His camcorder is an AVCHD memory stick one and records in 1920x1080P. My old laptop was a Core2 duo 2.5GH with 2GB RAM running Vista, then Win 7. Couldn't handle it!! Ran at 100% CPU use and had to get a cooling pad to keep the temp under 105 degrees. Took 20 minutes to process a 2 minute clip.

Bought a new HP one with1.6GH, i7 CPU with Win7 64bit, 8GB RAM, hyperthreading and turbo boost.

Does the same 2 minute clip in 8 minutes with 75% CPU usage and temp stays at 75 degrees without cooling pad.

Works well for what I wanted. The next step up to a 1.8Gh and the the 2.0GH were considerably dearer.

That was $500 more than your $2000 query.

Ken :thumbs:

Renmoo
03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Couldn't they drop the reso down and just be able to play the game?
Of course not as good as a PC thou.
The issue with LCD resolution is that generally they should not be different from the manufacturer's recommended resolution, in the sense that the display quality would begin to deteriorate.

Cato
03-10-2010, 09:03 PM
The issue with LCD resolution is that generally they should not be different from the manufacturer's recommended resolution, in the sense that the display quality would begin to deteriorate.

Yep, gotta play on native resolution, and drop every other setting down.

LCDs are a ***** if your system can't keep up.

Battleneter2
04-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Acer is not my preference although some overly slag them in this forum, reliability is recent years has been pretty good. This is close to what your after for 2K ish.

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ca8d8f0053e01ac273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/XC8867

I5 and the ATI 5650 beat the common Nvidia GT330m

utopian201
04-10-2010, 09:20 AM
It depends on what sort of video you want to edit. SD and HD have different requirements.

I completely disagree. Any computer can edit video. The only difference between SD and HD is the time required. It is not as if you make a poor purchase decision, you will be stuck with a computer that can edit SD but not HD. The only 'requirement' for HD editing over SD is more HDD space. I use my athlon 1800+ to edit HD video and let it run overnight.

Thread title, basically. What's are some best performance bang for buck laptops in this price range?

:pf1mobmini:

You can get the Alienware M11x for $1949. It can be configured with an i7 and has discrete graphics. It is an ultraportable gaming notebook, I don't know of anything comparable.

Chilling_Silence
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I completely disagree. Any computer can edit video. The only difference between SD and HD is the time required. It is not as if you make a poor purchase decision, you will be stuck with a computer that can edit SD but not HD. The only 'requirement' for HD editing over SD is more HDD space. I use my athlon 1800+ to edit HD video and let it run overnight.

I would disagree. Some devices can't even playback HD video, let alone edit it. How can you tell if your edit is any good if your device struggles to play it back, not to mention if it's not displaying it at a Full HD resolution ;)

I do a bit of gaming on my Macbook:
http://store.apple.com/nz/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

The GPU uses shared memory which sucks by comparison with a dedicated card, however I still run LOTRO at a decent resolution, decent framerate, no antialiasing. However, it's got nothing on my Desktop which has an ATI HD4850 which runs everything at max with 8x anti-aliasing for the same game.

As mentioned, you'll never get the same high-end performance, but for the odd game of Call of Duty or similar, most people I know that aren't hard-core gamers are perfectly happy with a laptop that has even shared video RAM. How hard-core you are I guess is determined by your budget, and at that budget, you'd have to assume you're not *too* into high-end gaming ;) Still, nothing wrong with being a casual gamer.

Moved to the PF1 forum, although it's chat, it's still PC-related :)

Nomad
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
You can get the Alienware M11x for $1949. It can be configured with an i7 and has discrete graphics. It is an ultraportable gaming notebook, I don't know of anything comparable.

$1949 is a i3 CPU setup. $2,099 comes with a i5 and $2,499 an i7.
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/main/en/alienware_m11x?c=nz&cs=nzdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

DSE has a HP with a 2.4Ghz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and some kind of 1GB dedicated graphics for $1699. Warehouse stationary has 30% off all laptops isn't it ... :confused:

kenj
04-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Read my thread properly and you will see what I mean, core temps at over 100 degrees with 100% usage. How long would the poor old laptop last when treated like that. Perhaps I should have said I usually make a DVD with menus, titles, fades.... the full catastrophe!!!

Ken

powerover
05-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Read my thread properly and you will see what I mean, core temps at over 100 degrees with 100% usage. How long would the poor old laptop last when treated like that. Perhaps I should have said I usually make a DVD with menus, titles, fades.... the full catastrophe!!!

Ken

im surprised that the laptop didn't shut itself down at that temp, i thought all lappy have thermal protection auto shut down these days???

Chilling_Silence
05-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Likewise. Most I've seen are configured factory default to do it between 70 and 90 degrees.

There's nothing wrong with the CPU being at 100%, even on my C2D 3Ghz desktop pc it happens when I'm encoding video. However, the temperature on my machine remains around 35 degrees. That's still very safe :)

jareemon
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Some laptop are indeed designed for gaming - like this one (http://www1.ap.dell.com/nz/en/home/notebooks/alienware-m11x/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-m11x&s=dhs&cs=nzdhs1).

It's only 11.6" but runs at 720p (1366x768)

notebookcheck.net (http://www.notebookcheck.net) said of it's graphics card:
"The 3D performance of the GT335M is on a level with the Mobility Radeon HD 5650 in the middle class."

It averaged 54fps on cod4mw2, and you can even play crysis.

Kindel
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Shortlist is down to:

http://www.elive.co.nz/asus-g51jx-i7-720-laptop-sy2418.php?ref=pricespy

vs

http://www.itexpress.co.nz/product/i/513060/n/gx740-i5-430m-17-hd5870-4g-hdd-500gb.html

The former will be better at video work, the latter at gaming I believe. Anyone know how reputable either store are?