PDA

View Full Version : Non stick pans.

Cicero
02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Bought a non stick some time ago.

No longer non stick and even though we paid a premium it is no better than cheepy bought b4 that.

Anybody had better luck than me?

bob_doe_nz
02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Black Steel Frypans. The stuff they use in proper commercial kitchens.

Once it's got that black layer, it will last a bloody lifetime

somebody
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Nope - all the non-stick frypans I've bought, even the more expensive ones, wear out after a while.

I'm now quite a big fan of cast iron frypans and carbon steel woks - when seasoned properly, they have very good non-stick properties which seem resistant to steel cooking utensils.

gary67
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
So I wonder what ingesting Teflon is going to do to us all in the near future :horrified:horrified:yuck:

Snorkbox
02-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm with Somebody on this. Cast iron frypan I have had for about 15 years still works for me.

Agent_24
02-10-2010, 12:58 PM
You probably notice that over time the Teflon wears off. Where does it go, I wonder?

I've never had a non-stick pan and the normal ones seem to work just fine for me.

Trev
02-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I use a Tefal frying pan and wok. Don't use any fat or oils and just wipe out with a damp cloth after use.
:)

The Error Guy
02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
oh teflons nice (ish) untill it gets a scratch, then it legs it every time you wash. good ole cast iron for the ultimate win

pctek
02-10-2010, 01:58 PM
There are 2 types. The nasty coating type, where if you scratch it its ruined or if you cook at high temps it peels off.

There is the other sort, with ceramic titanium. I have 2. A Baccart which I have had for about 11 years, now. It does have some scuffs - can't really call it scratches, in the middle now, but it's not ruined so I still use it.

The other is a Scanpan I just bought - mainly cause I needed a smaller one. I use plastic or wooden utensils and don't put it in the dishwasher, I use soapy water and a cloth.

11 years is pretty good I think.

And yes I have one or two cast iron things too, but that's a hassle.

Erayd
02-10-2010, 02:03 PM
There are also the anodised aluminium variety.

Scouse
02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi C. Similar problems here. We seem to have eaten most of the lining off three non-stick frying pans. I went in to Brisocoe's, Nelson, this week with a view to replacing one or more. Found that virtually every one on display had a wee label stating that they were not suitable for glass-top/ceramic stove use. Which we have, of course. So, back to the drawing board.

Trev
02-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Tefal. (http://www.tefal.co.nz/All+Products/Cookware/Non-Stick+Cookware/Non-Stick+Cookware.htm)

Jen
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
The trick with non-stick fry pans is to not use them on max heat - ever - and avoid spray on 'oil' or similar products. The lady in Stevens only told me this 5x in 10 minutes.

I recently replaced my once-was non-stick frying pan with a Circulon frypan. The 28" pans are priced much cheaper than the 24" etc as a customer hook-in. The Circulon is great.

I tried a cast iron fry pan but couldn't get the seasoning correct and constantly had a mass of smoke each time I tried. I am still surprised the neighbours didn't call the Fire service thinking my house was on fire ...

I did look at the 'stone' fry pans but they have to be seasoned too.

Cicero
02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
My one is a Stoneline.$150 on special.

So hard it will last forever.

I will believe anything.

www.stoneline.co.nz

Trev
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I use my Tefals on a Ceramic top Stove. You can get different base types of Tefals for different type of stoves.

Greven
02-10-2010, 06:42 PM
My cheap warehouse pots & pans lasted forever until I got a chef student for a flatmate & he thought they were good ones. My pans are now all buckled & no longer non-stick. Chef quality stuff is 10 times more expensive, so I don't think I will be getting good stuff any time soon.

Poppa John
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
True Story.

Arrived in Wellington 1964 to work at Haywards Substation. Had to take my wife into maternity. Next door neidouress wennt into our house to do the housework whilst I was at the Hospital. She washed the pots.

One of the pots was a nearly brand new non stick frying pan. A wedding present from the UK.

When I got home she was so proud of the spotless house.

And the shiny steel frying pan, no more non stick.
"How could you let it get so dirty," she said. I didn't have the heart to tell her. They were not available in NZ at that time.

Months later she saw an advert for them & asked us if THAT one had been one. "Yes," we said. Lordie was she embarrassed.

PJ:o

plod
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
True Story.

Arrived in Wellington 1964 to work at Haywards Substation. Had to take my wife into maternity. Next door neidouress wennt into our house to do the housework whilst I was at the Hospital. She washed the pots.

One of the pots was a nearly brand new non stick frying pan. A wedding present from the UK.

When I got home she was so proud of the spotless house.

And the shiny steel frying pan, no more non stick.
"How could you let it get so dirty," she said. I didn't have the heart to tell her. They were not available in NZ at that time.

Months later she saw an advert for them & asked us if THAT one had been one. "Yes," we said. Lordie was she embarrassed.

PJ:o
what a scrubber

Poppa John
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
what a scrubber

Nice one!!!. They were a lovely couple tho, very helpful to us two new immigrants.PJ

John H
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
We have a set of three cast iron frying pans and a cast iron grill pan. Season them properly, and only wash them out in hot water with a stiff brush - lots of hot water. Detergent takes the seasoning off; hot water leaves a slight oily coating that stops rust forming (if you use oil that is). Dry them off by draining, or pat them dry with a paper towel.

We gave up on non stick frying pans years ago after realising we and the kids were eating the linings. We have had these cast iron frying pans for about 20 years and they are as good as new. Well, actually they are better than new because of the seasoning.

Poppa's neighbours would be horrified if they looked at them of course, but we never get crook!

pctek
03-10-2010, 07:53 AM
The trick with non-stick fry pans is to not use them on max heat - ever - and avoid spray on 'oil' or similar products.

The trick is to avoid pans with a touchy coating.

Cicero
03-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Poppa's neighbours would be horrified if they looked at them of course, but we never get crook!

Apart from rotting teeth!

John H
03-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Apart from rotting teeth!

Que? No rotting teeth here.

Richard
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
English teeth, English teeth
Shining in the sun
A part of British heritage
Aye, each and every one

English teeth, happy teeth
Always having fun
Clamping down on bits of fish
And sausages half done

English teeth, heroes teeth
Hear them click and clack
Let's sing a song of praise to them
Three cheers for the brown grey and black

( With many thanks to Spike Milligan )

Tony
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Scanpan are really good, but v expensive.

I have recently been using a Prestige (I think) ceramic coated pan from Farmers. It is really good. Really non-stick, and a very hard wearing surface. It looks like the very expensive ones that were being advertised on TV for a while but is considerably cheaper. My 28cm frypan cost me $40 (on special from about $70). The surface has a grey/white/black mottled appearance. It also works on an induction cooktop, which the scanpan doesn't.

Cicero
03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Que? No rotting teeth here.

Sorry for Richards bad poetry and I thought you said you were looking for a dentist,it must have been two other people.

John H
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
(snip) I thought you said you were looking for a dentist,it must have been two other people.

Filling fell out. As it was over 20 years old it was entitled. No rot here.

Trev
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
On Tefals non stick pans you can use either plastic or metal untensils, so they say. I always use plastic ones on mine.

Cicero
03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Filling fell out. As it was over 20 years old it was entitled. No rot here.

Wonder if there was rot when filled originally,probably not.

R2x1
04-10-2010, 08:28 AM
When I lamented the departure of a fair bit of that slippery coating from a sandwich toaster on the second use, my ex commented that it did state on the box it had a non-stick coating.

Cicero
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
When I lamented the departure of a fair bit of that slippery coating from a sandwich toaster on the second use, my ex commented that it did state on the box it had a non-stick coating.

Your ex was quick,probably why described as ex.

Gobe1
04-10-2010, 12:52 PM
So I wonder what ingesting Teflon is going to do to us all in the near future :horrified:horrified:yuck:

Isnt there a class action on the states about this??

Gobe1
04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Black Steel Frypans. The stuff they use in proper commercial kitchens.

Once it's got that black layer, it will last a bloody lifetime

Yeah i got one of those, its a bit small for my liking but i do live by myself so....
But definitely the best frying pan i have ever used, holds the heat very well

It isnt non stick but with a dash of oil most meats dont stick anyway and at least your not afraid to hit it with a decent steel spatula (??)