PDA

View Full Version : The end of an Ira

tuiruru
01-10-2010, 03:30 PM
So, ASB's long running (10 yrs) ad campaign featuring Goldstein is coming to an end. Personally, as far as NZ TV ads are concerned, it's been quite engaging - certainly a lot better than The National Bank's current effort with a far too long "poem" presumably put together by the same outfit that gave us an equally turgid poem about the origin of Pams. I really wonder sometimes where these advertising types get their ideas from, and more particularly which media studies establishment they paid mega bucks to "develop" their creative side in the first place.

(for foreign nationals like Surfer Joe you can get a flavour of what's been going on from here:https://www.asb.co.nz/about-asb/ira-goldstein---as-seen-on-tv )

robbyp
01-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I hated the ads, and glad they are over. They weren't funny or witty.

pctek
01-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I understand those ASB ads show their favorite customer is a retarded chipmunk.

Metla
01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
TV advertising is right up there with packaging on cleaning products.

Miami Steve
01-10-2010, 04:00 PM
So, ASB's long running (10 yrs) ad campaign featuring Goldstein is coming to an end.

If only all other ads would come to an end.

Thank god for mySky :)

WalOne
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree with Tuiruru.

But WTF is the latest National Bank advert all about? It's watchable, right at the end is a clip of the National Bank Horse (probably the best actor in all the current banking ads), and the Bank's Logo. There's nothing in the "story" line to link the advert to the advertiser. What a waste of money.

:illogical

somebody
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
When I saw the new National Bank ad for the first time, I assumed it was for Open Poly. It has the same sort of feel to it, and they seem to mention the word "open" and its synonyms a bit.

The Error Guy
01-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I recognized the "poem" from across the boarding house common room in the middle of a game of COD, its Dr. Sues's oh the places you'll go. good book. random ad.

Takes a lot to distract us from a 360 + COD

Trev
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Saw the last Ira ad on TV1 tonight at about 6-50pm.
:)

zqwerty
01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Not a moment too soon for that schlep to be gone.

Zippity
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
The latest ASB ad is also their worst :( :( :(

SoniKalien
01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
you watch ads? wtf?

Paul.Cov
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I didn't mind Goldstein.

What I object to in an ad is Aussie voices.

And especially so when it's poorly lip-syched voices.

If you're gonna waste that many dollars on TV advertising then you should splash out a few more dollars to get locals doing the acting and the voices.

I also hate the attitude of employing a European voice to try to confer that there's something special by association with Euros. What cr@p.

Oooh, she sounds French how NOT exotic!

There's similar bullsh!+ going on with the use of so many fags in all the fashion / modelling shows. They're playing on a stereotype that queers have some particular talent in this regard. Bull! Their only talent is acting like queens.

Zippity
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't hold back, Paul :D :D :D

Trev
02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
And that bloody Cigna Funeral ad with Keith Quin. It makes me feel like dying.:lol:
:)

mikebartnz
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I agree with Tuiruru.

But WTF is the latest National Bank advert all about? It's watchable, right at the end is a clip of the National Bank Horse (probably the best actor in all the current banking ads), and the Bank's Logo. There's nothing in the "story" line to link the advert to the advertiser. What a waste of money.

:illogical
Piss poor advert like so many these days. How they think you are going to run in and acquire their services or product I don't know because they tell you nothing to show you that their product or service is going to be superior to the oppositions.

B.M.
02-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Dead right, and what about that Tower Insurance add where some ugly dickhead takes off his shirt to mow the lawns. :groan:

I wonder what would make the advertising agency think that we would all rush out and insure ourselves against such an event? :confused:

Indeed, I wonder what the premium is to insure yourself against witnessing such an ugly bugger without his shirt on? :lol: