PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy.

Poppa John
01-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi All...I know there are a few doing Family Trees on this forum.

The IGI is the main source of data before 1837, other that Parish records. However I have found that some sites for parish Records are a bit hit & miss & don't appear to go very far back. Ant advice as to how to access pre 1838 data? thanks. PJ

Pato
01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

The IGI is the main source of data before 1837, other that Parish records. However I have found that some sites for parish Records are a bit hit & miss & don't appear to go very far back. Ant advice as to how to access pre 1838 data? thanks. PJI am having the same trouble. The lack of Irish records is a bit disappointing.

tuiruru
01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
There's always Val Doonican and The Pogues, not to mention Thin Lizzie and U2!

Poppa John
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM

May the Leprachauns keep you awake all night!!!!! PJ:devil

Poppa John
01-10-2010, 04:47 PM

May the Leprachauns keep you awake all night!!!!! PJ:devil

Lurking
01-10-2010, 05:25 PM

The IGI is the main source of data before 1837, other that Parish records. However I have found that some sites for parish Records are a bit hit & miss & don't appear to go very far back. Ant advice as to how to access pre 1838 data? thanks. PJ

Hi Poppa, have you tried the pilot.familysearch.org site.

You may need to order in the Parish films to view.

Here is a link that may help:

Hi all,

I have just started to use this terrific site and recommend it strongly http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#PageTitle.htm

It lists batch numbers for the British Isles and North America.......once you find the number you want you just click on the link and go straight into the IGI records for whatever church it refers to.

Have a look!

Lurking.

Ps. There also www.ParishFinder.co.uk site if you need to find a Parish.

lurks.

Poppa John
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi Poppa, have you tried the pilot.familysearch.org site.

You may need to order in the Parish films to view.

Here is a link that may help:

Hi all,

I have just started to use this terrific site and recommend it strongly http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#PageTitle.htm

It lists batch numbers for the British Isles and North America.......once you find the number you want you just click on the link and go straight into the IGI records for whatever church it refers to.

Have a look!

Lurking.

Ps. There also www.ParishFinder.co.uk site if you need to find a Parish.

lurks.

Have just looked at the 'pilot' It is a simpler version of the regular LDS IGI. (I think) looks good. I have been using the IGI Batch Numbers site already & DO find it useful. PJ

John H
02-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Do you have any links to Monmouthshire or the Forest of Dean? Parish records have been transcribed for both of those areas and are freely available on the web. Some Family History Societies have also transcribed their local parish records and you can get them on CDs (you have to pay). Other areas like Powys have got mailing lists that have members who will do lookups for you.

What areas are you looking at?

SP8's
02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Have you tried here ...http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm
I thought they had one of the largest databases on geneology because their missionary's went around the world copying old rchurch records etc, so there would always be a second record .... may be wrong tho.

John H
02-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Apparently a problem with Mormon Church records is that they are mostly self reported. People are encouraged to have their ancestors baptised post mortem so that they will be saved on the final day (because Mormons will be saved), so they register their details with the Mormon Church genealogy section.

I have no proof, but have been warned not to take their records as gospel (hahahahaha!) because they are really unreliable. Well, that is what I was told.

Lurking
02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I have no proof, but have been warned not to take their records as gospel (hahahahaha!) because they are really unreliable. Well, that is what I was told.

John, not so, Parish records I have paid for from the Wiltshire Family History Society (WFHS) are identical to FamilySearch.org site.

And my ancestors' were Anglican.

All Mormon films etc are to be transcribed for free access, I did a couple of Wiltshire towns for the North Wiltshire Group Online Census 1871 Project.

Lurking.

Poppa John
02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Do you have any links to Monmouthshire or the Forest of Dean? Parish records have been transcribed for both of those areas and are freely available on the web. Some Family History Societies have also transcribed their local parish records and you can get them on CDs (you have to pay). Other areas like Powys have got mailing lists that have members who will do lookups for you.

What areas are you looking at?

In this instance the Ruscoe surname back in 1700 +/- 50 yrs.

Area?

Malpas, Hanmer, Wem, Broughill, Edstaston & Whitchurch. Around where three Counties meet, Flint, Cheshire & Shropshire. PJ.:confused:

John H
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
John, not so, Parish records I have paid for from the Wiltshire Family History Society (WFHS) are identical to FamilySearch.org site.

And my ancestors' were Anglican.

All Mormon films etc are to be transcribed for free access, I did a couple of Wiltshire towns for the North Wiltshire Group Online Census 1871 Project.

Lurking.

Hmmm, well not all records that go into the Mormon records are generated from Parish records - some at least are volunteered by well meaning but sometimes ill-informed descendants. There is no Parish record for the baptism of my great great great grandfather about 1772 in the Forest of Dean, but his birth date is shown in the Mormon records. Some prick has had him posthumously baptised as a Mormon!

John H
02-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Area?

Malpas, Hanmer, Wem, Broughill, Edstaston & Whitchurch. Around where three Counties meet, Flint, Cheshire & Shropshire. PJ.:confused:

Wow, they spread themselves around a bit! I will have a look to see if anyone of that name ended up in the Forest! Not all that far away from Shropshire and Cheshire...

John H
02-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Have you had a look here: http://genforum.genealogy.com/ruscoe/

There are references to Wem and Whitchurch at least.

Lurking
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, well not all records that go into the Mormon records are generated from Parish records - some at least are volunteered by well meaning but sometimes ill-informed descendants. There is no Parish record for the baptism of my great great great grandfather about 1772 in the Forest of Dean, but his birth date is shown in the Mormon records. Some prick has had him posthumously baptised as a Mormon!

Hi John, sorry to see your 3xGreat baptised a Mormon ! and in the last day it's not the Mormon Church that saves him on his behalf either.

What's the nearest town to the Forest of Green, Wales ?, as it appears to be just that on Google Earth.

Lurking.

Lurking
03-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Area?

Wow Poppa John! thought my surname digressed a bit!

There is a Martha ROSSEY b 1751 in the 1841 Census in Audlem, Cheshire.

William PECCE (William REECE) b ? Birkenhead, Cheshire.

That's it, not even the more common ROSCOE name recorded !.

Lurking.

Poppa John
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Have you had a look here: http://genforum.genealogy.com/ruscoe/

There are references to Wem and Whitchurch at least.

Thanks for that. A couple of interesting contacts there. PJ

Poppa John
03-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Wow, they spread themselves around a bit! I will have a look to see if anyone of that name ended up in the Forest! Not all that far away from Shropshire and Cheshire...

Its not really a big area, even for those times when people didn't move far between jobs. The only means of transport was Shanks Pony! PJ

Lurking
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Poppa John, did you try the new familysearch site:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/ type in RUSCOE and use the advanced search, 1700/1750.

an e.g. on the 1st William RUSCOE the film no. is 1042308 if this was your man you would need to hire the film out from the LDS and this is the authentic copy of the Parish register.

I had to do a lot of detective work when a death cert. said a lady was born in Liverpool when in fact she was born in Bratton, Wiltshire, from the Parish film.

Fascinating hobby to say the least.

Lurking.

John H
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
(snip)
What's the nearest town to the Forest of Green, Wales ?, as it appears to be just that on Google Earth.

Sorry, you have got me a bit confused! It is the Forest of Dean. My folks on Dad's side come from the southern part of the Forest - south of Lydney. The main place names in my genealogy are Bream, Coleford, Aylburton, Hewelsfield, Brockweir, St Briavels (the parish name), and Hudnall's Wood.

They are all north or east of the River Wye and west of the River Severn. The Forest is in England (the River Wye is the boundary down there), but Offa's Dyke runs through it, so I guess people form their own opinion of whether they are in Wales or England. I think that some of my lot may come from Llandogo, Monmouthshire, Wales, which is just across the bridge from Brockweir.

John H
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Its not really a big area, even for those times when people didn't move far between jobs. The only means of transport was Shanks Pony! PJ

Yep, see my reply to Lurking about my Forest of Dean ancestors. They hardly moved for a couple of hundred years until my great grandparents came out here in 1860. All the villages I mentioned to Lurking are within a few miles of each other. My great great great grandparents were cousins from the same wee village. I guess it was harder to meet a husband/wife in those days... I doubt they even had horses to get around, let alone the internal combustion engine - as you say, shank's pony would have been the only form of transport.

I have found records of my family name in the Forest of Dean back to the 16th century. Not sure if they are direct ancestors, but it looks possible. Stick in the muds.

Lurking
03-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Sorry, you have got me a bit confused! It is the Forest of Dean. My folks on Dad's side come from the southern part of the Forest - south of Lydney. The main place names in my genealogy are Bream, Coleford, Aylburton, Hewelsfield, Brockweir, St Briavels (the parish name), and Hudnall's Wood.

They are all north or east of the River Wye and west of the River Severn. The Forest is in England (the River Wye is the boundary down there), but Offa's Dyke runs through it, so I guess people form their own opinion of whether they are in Wales or England. I think that some of my lot may come from Llandogo, Monmouthshire, Wales, which is just across the bridge from Brockweir.

John, still a forest, lol but in Gls. I will blame Google Earth for not recognizing a "copy and paste" from your original post.

These programs that think they know what one wants.

Gloucestershire covered a vast area in the earlier boundaries.

Some of my wife's rellies come from Stroud just east of Lydney, mine were from Wilts., Berks. and Derbyshire.

Regards,

Lurks.

John H
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
(snip)
Gloucestershire covered a vast area in the earlier boundaries.

Some of my wife's rellies come from Stroud just east of Lydney, mine were from Wilts., Berks. and Derbyshire. (snip)

Funny to think of Gloucestershire as being vast! Before we first went to Britain, I told my daughters that sadly I wouldn't have time to go to Wales. They said 'Dad, the whole place is tiny'. I looked at a map, and sure enough, Wales (a whole country) is smaller than Canterbury... And I thought we were a pimple on a pumpkin. So I find it hard to think of Glos as being vast!

We went past Stroud, but didn't go in. I wish we had gone into Gloucester though.

We had a brief trip into Shropshire, and stayed the night in Cheshire, just south of Chester on our first trip, so I have seen a wee bit of where Poppa John's lot come from. Lovely canal, the Shropshire Canal...

John H
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Poppa John - no Ruscoe names in the Forest of Dean. Plenty of Soundex names like Reece came up, but the Ruscoe/Roscoe mob didn't make it there. Pity - the Forest has superb free genealogy resources set up by a Forest guy who lives in West Australia of all places.

One of the Google searches I did turned up Ruscoe in Edstaston. You may like to Google those two names together.

Lurking
03-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Funny to think of Gloucestershire as being vast! Before we first went to Britain, I told my daughters that sadly I wouldn't have time to go to Wales. They said 'Dad, the whole place is tiny'. I looked at a map, and sure enough, Wales (a whole country) is smaller than Canterbury... And I thought we were a pimple on a pumpkin. So I find it hard to think of Glos as being vast!

We went past Stroud, but didn't go in. I wish we had gone into Gloucester though.

We had a brief trip into Shropshire, and stayed the night in Cheshire, just south of Chester on our first trip, so I have seen a wee bit of where Poppa John's lot come from. Lovely canal, the Shropshire Canal...

We found the South of England very vast in 2003, simply because we kept getting lost (won't be taking advice from travel agent again and renting a car).

We were supposed to do the total S/W Counties to Lands End, missed out on Stroud too, but managed the Cotswolds.

Managed to get quite a bit of genealogy details, mostly by good luck than good management.

Lurks.

Poppa John
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Poppa John, did you try the new familysearch site:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/ type in RUSCOE and use the advanced search, 1700/1750.

an e.g. on the 1st William RUSCOE the film no. is 1042308 if this was your man you would need to hire the film out from the LDS and this is the authentic copy of the Parish register.

I had to do a lot of detective work when a death cert. said a lady was born in Liverpool when in fact she was born in Bratton, Wiltshire, from the Parish film.

Fascinating hobby to say the least.

Lurking.

Yes thanks PJ

Poppa John
03-10-2010, 06:14 PM
It wasn't so long ago that a BMD Cert cost 7. I see in one of the Genealogy sites that it is now 25 or for NZ $65. Not to be yaken lightly. PJ