PDA

View Full Version : Xmarks folding their tent

Vallis
01-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I just received an email from Xmarks this morning. they're shutting down the service in 90 days.

http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1886

White knight needed.

:help:

wainuitech
01-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Its the way of the world -- Lots of people always want things for free. Someone has to do all the work, every one has costs, and someone has to pay.

As the link says:
UPDATE: We’ve set up a Pledgebank page where you can sign up if you’re willing to pay at least $10 a year for Xmarks. No credit card is required, but please only pledge if you are genuinely willing and able to pay: People want to use it, pay for it.

Zippity
01-10-2010, 08:23 AM
what is xmarks?

Vallis
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
what is xmarks?

The best bookmarks/favorites sync service bar none. Started as Foxmarks.

Vallis
01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Its the way of the world -- Lots of people always want things for free. Someone has to do all the work, every one has costs, and someone has to pay.

As the link says: People want to use it, pay for it.

You're correct of course. I, and plenty of other people, would be prepared to pay. Something may come of it.

But there's the obverse too.

Having said that, IT and the web would be much poorer without Open Source, GPL, Wikipedia, Facebook (arguable!), Google, OpenOffice, Gimp, and thousands of others who provide free service including many on this forum.

A big chunk of the web is about people doing stuff for others for no tangible reward. I contribute lot's of time to the Experts Exchange and a couple of other fora, I operate a non-profit website helping PC newbies, I spend much of my retirement fixing people's PCs - including my local Volunteer Center who drive me to despair - and there are a million others just like me.

:2cents:

wainuitech
01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Nothing wrong with free stuff,and people doing what ever for free, just like every one that helps on here on PF1 - its all time given free.

As the Blog mentions
By Spring 2010, with money running tight and options fading, we started searching for potential buyers of the company -- its costing the developers to much to keep it running for free.

Maybe if enough people pay, they will keep it going.