PDA

View Full Version : Urgent fix (I've done it this time)

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok, I won't say too much about HOW this happened (last time I mentioned it I was temp banned, lesson learned) anyway. I was installing an OS onto a 7.6gb partition on the start of my internal drive, the format failed for some reason (of the 7gb partition) and when I opened the installers disk utility only the main 149gb HDD showed up, no partitions. I ignored this. shut down and left my laptop.

Several hours later I tried to boot, no boot media present (epic sinking feeling) :eek:

Now, the only OS i can boot into is Leopard (which was on my external) on boot into leopard it gives an error stating that my internal drive cannot be mounted. when the disk utility is opened is states that the drive is unformatted :annoyed:so I am assuming partition/file system damage has occured.:crying

Is there any possibility of getting quite a lot of data back of this thing or have i busted it?

Is there a reliable recovery center around wellington someone could recommend for attempting to scrape my digital life back together? or at least some apple based recovery software I could try to see if I can get anything.

Cheers for help, a curse on apple for screwing this over xD (and myself for trying in the first place)

Petja
30-09-2010, 10:43 PM
If you can get your hdd plugged into another computer you should be fine. Most recovery software should be able to bring it back. I have had good experiences with getdataback for ntfs, from memory it was pretty cheap, maybe US $30. I am sure there is free stuff out there somewhere too.

Good luck!

Snorkbox
30-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Why don't you restore your backup that you make on a regular basis?

I think I know why not so don't bother answering that.

If anyone can do it I suggest these people.

http://www.datarecovery.co.nz/datarecovery.html?gclid=CK6djMHtrqQCFRxUgwodySX6xw

Hope you have lots of cash. Fill in the form and query them.

Snorkbox
30-09-2010, 10:46 PM
If you can get your hdd plugged into another computer you should be fine. Most recovery software should be able to bring it back. I have had good experiences with getdataback for ntfs, from memory it was pretty cheap, maybe US $30. I am sure there is free stuff out there somewhere too.

Good luck!

Does getdataback work with Apple file formats?

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Extra info, the windows partition was NTFS, so what I need is NTFS software that will run from apple or a 2.5'' sata adapter to get it working on my old desktop.

I got tired of windows trying to back up large filed that didn't need backing up and not backing up my desktop (where I usually keep my current projects) so I gave up. it was easier to lump it all over at the end of the month.... I just forgot for about 2mths

As for the data recovery, I was hoping something cheap, haha. i guess yuo pay for what you get

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2010, 11:04 PM
This trial may work, if you want it for a mac?

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

If its formatted in HFS you could try HFS for windows 7.5 (its free from Paragon). Connect it to a windows system. Request a serial. http://www.paragon-software.com/registration/hfs-windows75.html

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 11:08 PM
ach, its in a dmg, i get bloody kernel panics with dmg's. anyway, game plan - get the 2.5 out of my laptop and into my HP poket media drive enclosure for use with desktop or, make an image of the HDD and put onto windows PC for editing

on a side note, can you put a 2.5'' HDD straight onto the standard SATA in a desktop?

ryanjames.powell
30-09-2010, 11:15 PM
on a side note, can you put a 2.5'' HDD straight onto the standard SATA in a desktop?

Yes, you can.

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 11:25 PM
cheers ryan.

anyways its in my media drive now (very easy to dissemble) won't show up on win explorer, trying getdataback

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I think i can see a problem!! according to GDB (get data back) the partition chain is too long. all it sees is a massive group of 7.6gb partitions (and blast it all it can't see my main partition!!)

Any ideas

attaches is screen of the partition stack

fred_fish
01-10-2010, 12:03 AM
testdisk

Paul.Cov
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I recently had issues with the HDD in my brothers laptop, which seems kinda similar.

From his perspective it was simply failing to load Windows. What I saw was a deterioration from getting part way into loading down to not even getting to the point of booting at all.

Took the drive out and attached it via an adapter to my Desktop. Drive data was fine apart from a FAT area error. Backed it all up and scandisc reported all ok.

Put it back into the laptop and still no go.
Anyway, long story short, it seems to have been an issue with the HDD/IDE controller within the laptop. Data is fine. Laptop is history. Arguably a better outcome than a dead drive as far as data is concerned.

DeSade
01-10-2010, 12:47 AM
I always use Puppy Linux to recover from boot errors.

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Ah did it change it to a dynamic disk?? Because that will make one partition bootable only. And you wont be able to install on any other partition. I did that once by formatting a part of the hdd (with Win7). And stuffed things up. I could only use 200GB of a 1 TB hdd !

Only way I could fix it, I had to delete all of the partitions (and start all over again, so I could install on more than 1 partition)

Chilling_Silence
01-10-2010, 08:03 AM
...that's what happens when you play with fire and make a Hackintosh ;)

As DeSade mentioned, try a bootable Linux CD. Specifically, this one: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

There's software on there which scans your HDD and guesses your partitions based on the data and other things. It's brilliant.

After that, no more software piracy, yeah? The phrase "slow learner" comes to mind, yet I also find myself wanting to congratulate you for being a tinkerer, and trying new things...

linw
01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Chill, looks like a keeper for the disaster recovery library! Downloading as we speak.

Good luck, Error Guy.

fred_fish
01-10-2010, 09:37 AM
There's software on there which scans your HDD and guesses your partitions based on the data and other things. It's brilliant.

Yep, that's Testdisk.
It's on most rescue cd's of note and is available separately for Linux & Windows.

The Error Guy
01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm currently recovering most of what I can from the drive, ill try the linux version when thats done. When the HDD was still in my laptop I tried a linux live CD but got a never ending stream of I/0 errors, i had no idea what was actually wrong with the drive so I thought that the drive must be damaged and linux couldn't read write to it, now its in my desktop I can have a good prod around.

As for why, well I wanted to learn how to use a mac without destroying it and write some programs, as with most people i'm not that keen to part with $2000 for an entry level computer so the not so legal side was a better option :devil (or so it seemed) I guess steve and bill just don't want to play nice

or as steve would say, just don't use it that way. I think its time I got my old test rig working, or rather stop testing this stuff on my "good" computers:rolleyes:

Cheers for the help and suggestions

Also, how would I recover the registry from the HDD? getdataback seems to have found pretty much all my files but would the reg be in there? I can't remember much about the registry except it was good for removing values that relate to "rundll32", good old days of seeing how much you could put win98 through before it gave up and BSOD itself

mikebartnz
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Not on Windows at the mo but have a look in the directory for recovery and the files will be there although with a different file name.

The Error Guy
01-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Turns out the recovery wasn't needted (athough helpful if i had needed it) test disk and a few terminal prompts have fixed it up quick-sharp.

Thanks for your help, won't do it again for at least a month ( i won't lie and say i never will because I can't stop tweaking and mucking around)

Now, to make a back up and tidy up the bootloader (12 entries, no grub)

Rod J
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
+1 for Testdisk :thumbs:

I needed it a couple of weeks ago after a partition resize/move disaster left me with a corrupted partition table. I had been using GParted but it was my fault for not reading up about cylinder alignment and not going with GParted's default setting for my drive. It's certainly a sobering moment when you see your hard drive has no partitions on it! :(

Anyway, a run with Testdisk found the partitions and restored them perfectly (luckily the partition move I had done wasn't an overlapping move).

The Error Guy
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh, the joys of GParted, so MANY fails with that, wrong drive, wrong partition, power cuts in the middle of partitioning

ahhh!

mikebartnz
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Parted Magic is a good ISO for partitioning, recovery(testdisk) ETC.

Erayd
02-10-2010, 12:55 AM
....and if testdisk can't sort things out for you, take a look at photorec - it's a signature-based recovery program bundled with testdisk, and it should be able to get most if not all of your files back, provided you haven't overwritten them.

Agent_24
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
...that's what happens when you play with fire and make a Hackintosh ;)

Worked great for me, but then I was sensible and used a completely separate hard drive, and unplugged the others.

Even if the drive had gone up in flames I wouldn't have had any problems (except loss of a drive and a horrible smell)

The Error Guy
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I thought I was safe, worked fine 3x over on my external, now I just wanted to be able to use on the move. didn't work out, has now though. waiting for some bad weather. this sun is too good to waste mucking with the bad apple

Petja
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Mate I haven't seen that before!

Can it see other partitions properly? If yes by elimination what partition is it not picking up properly?

Perhaps look for a partition management tool to fix this issue (after rescuing the partitions you can see). There are plenty of free bootable linux based tools..... hang on you are working in an enclosure aren't you.... There must be some free windows based ones too.

@ Snorkbox

Not sure how it deals with apple.

The Error Guy
04-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the tip petja, its all ready fixed. after recovering as much as I could (in case I screwed up with testdisk) I managed to rewrite the partition table and MBR without loosing anything. a quick auto fix from the win7 boot disk and I was fine (aside from my bootloaders being screwed aesthetically)

Petja
04-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Good to hear its all sorted, glad I could be of service.

Beware the dual boot in future! If you run windows 7 get an external hdd and set up an auto backup so easy, so efficient, haven't had to call on it but I know I am safe.

Cheers

Petja