PDA

View Full Version : DLNA pc blu ray drive

borax
30-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a new TV thats supports DLNA. At the moment i am plugging my Dell XPS laptop into it ,via an HDMI cable, to play blu ray discs. Is it possible for it to be recognised as a DLNA blu-ray player, and stream it over my wireless network?
I dont really want a dedicated blu-ray player, so if the above does not work, is it possible to get a blu-ray drive for my PC to be used as a wireless DLNA device??
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Even if you could stream it I wouldnt use wireless. If it doesnt support DNLA, I doubt you'll be able to change it. And, I doubt any other blu-ray player you get for it will work

borax
01-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Ok, so i cant get the laptop to stream Blu ray via dlna, but is there a way of doing using a blu-ray player for my PC tower?
The only other option is buying Sonys blu-ray player that has built in wireless n?

decibel
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
What OS is on your Dell machine?

My new Samsung TV supports DLNA and can "see" my wife's Windows 7 laptop.

But the TV also came with an app. which I can run on my main XP machine and that allows it to be seen by the TV as well.

borax
06-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Im running Vista Premium. The TV can see my machine and most of the media files but i have been looking at trying to stream directly from the Blu ray disc itself, which i have come to the conclusion is not possible.
I have a trial version of Mezzmo media server which i have been messing around with, this allows me to stream DiVx stuff, which is handy.
The only way i can see of strewaming blu-ray, is by buying a dedicated dlna blu-ray player (which i was trying to avoid) or ripping the discs to the PC running the media server.
We shall see.....