PDA

View Full Version : Arrange Photos

DavidW
30-09-2010, 07:55 PM
For a 90th birthday I am photographing old photos and items from scrapbooks as well as selecting current digital photos. To view these I need to be able to shuffle the photos around to get the sequence I want. Then download onto a disk or memory stick keeping that order.
Is there a programme that will let me do that?
All the graphic programmes I have want to sequence the photos by name,size,date taken etc which mucks up the order I want. Thanks for suggestions David

gary67
30-09-2010, 08:04 PM
change the name to a number but if you do start with 01, 02 etc as just going 1, 2 doesn't always work

wainuitech
30-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Garys suggestion should work fine, :thumbs: then right click the folder / Arrange by Name.

Just a suggestion to add to gary's, if you are going to do over 100 photos, use 3 digit, Eg: 001,002,003

mcginty
01-10-2010, 07:10 AM
This is a problem that has bothered me for some time. You can rename photos in a folder quickly by dragging them into the order you want, selecting them, and right click one of them and rename. They will be given the new name and a number to keep them in sequence. However it seems that when they are copied they are done in the physical order in the folder not the arranged order, am I right? This is a problem for me because my photo frame only displays in the order they were copied not by name.

Nomad
01-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Can you not sort by "name"?

Failing that you could look into one of the many image editors which have more options but can be a bit of a learning curve.

Some software allow filtering via color labels, star grading, keywording, flagging, or double / triple flagging, EXIF data filtering ie., by camera shot or settings shot etc.

linw
01-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Would a slideshow program fit the bill? I certainly would do it that way. I bought Pro Show Gold and it makes excellent shows with transitions, music, animations etc.

Picasa can create movies as well but I like the power of Pro Show.

feersumendjinn
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
If you're using Windows 7, it will not allow file naming (alphabetical or numerical) to be out of sequence and will always auto-arrange (which cant be turned off).:groan:. Shouldn't be a problem in XP or Vista.
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/windows-7-disabling-auto-arrange/440.html

fnphoto
02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
For a 90th birthday I am photographing old photos and items from scrapbooks as well as selecting current digital photos. To view these I need to be able to shuffle the photos around to get the sequence I want. Then download onto a disk or memory stick keeping that order.
Is there a programme that will let me do that?
All the graphic programmes I have want to sequence the photos by name,size,date taken etc which mucks up the order I want. Thanks for suggestions David
How are you photographing these photos? Digital camera or film? If you photograph them digitally in order they will automatically be saved on camera in order then you can rename just the current digital photos to slot-in the sequence (i.e add a,b,c,etc to the file name) after you save to computer or memory stick.
The same could be done but in better quality by scanning the photos. Most good scanning software will save in sequence.