PDA

View Full Version : New Telstra cable 'T-box' installed today (Wellington)

BBCmicro
30-09-2010, 07:43 PM
TV set-top box with 300GB HDD. Has 3 tuners to allow two programs to be recorded while viewing a third. HDMI, RGB and AV outputs

I like the recording interface, the recording quality, the playback controls (ffwd and rwd x4 to x32 while providing watchable pictures).

There are lots of things not to like. But as with all modern equipment, you just have to get over it. For 50c per day it's good value. The VCR is about to make its last journey...

paulw
01-10-2010, 07:39 AM
So how much does this cost you onto of your Sky sub which TelstraClear resells as their own??

robbyp
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Is it really much different from mysky? From my calculations you are paying over $1k a year, when you could get freeview and a tivo, for just $360, as a one off payment, and you actually own the device. Over 10 years, that is $10,000, vs $360, assuming a tivo will last that long. Sure you can't get sky sport or movies, but you don't get those on skys cheapest plan either.

Safari
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
With freeview basically the only channels of any use are 1 2 3 and prime.
No comparison with sky even on the basic plan.

BBCmicro
01-10-2010, 03:20 PM
So how much does this cost you ontop of your Sky sub which TelstraClear resells as their own??

$15 a month extra. Don't know what the total service comes to

We used to have Sky but the Telstra package saved us $30/month so we changed over to them

We could have opted for buying the box instead of the $15 rental but we wanted to see how well it worked first

pctek
01-10-2010, 03:48 PM
So can you transfer what you have recorded to disk?

robbyp
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
With freeview basically the only channels of any use are 1 2 3 and prime.
No comparison with sky even on the basic plan.

I guessit depends what you watch, but you also get 4, 4-2, 6, 7, 3+, maori, parliment, chinese, etc. This makes the offerings very similar to skys basic backage, which has some of those plus a few other low demand channels such as uktv.

robbyp
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM

You can with Tivo, but not sure if you can with mysky or the t-box.

Safari
01-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I guessit depends what you watch, but you also get 4, 4-2, 6, 7, 3+, maori, parliment, chinese, etc. This makes the offerings very similar to skys basic backage, which has some of those plus a few other low demand channels such as uktv.

Similar to sky basic - are you serious. I could not stand being restricted to free view channels.
I would not call uktv low demand, some good programms on it. Neither would I call the following low demand.

VIBE
ESPN
TAB Tracksid
The Living Channel
Food TV
National Geographic Channel
Discovery Channel
Animal Planet
The History Channel
Documentary Channel l
Crime & Investigation Network
BBC World News
SKY News
CNN
Travel Channel

wellyg33k
02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Don't think freeview is anywhere near sky basic. There's a lot of throwaway channels on freeview, plus not even heartland so you can't watch re-runs of guess who's coming to dinner!

BBCmicro
04-10-2010, 08:44 PM

No. At least not via the USB ports. And there is a 'warranty void' sticker across the case to discourage you from taking the HDD out

But today I captured some of the recordings to my PC using a cheap USB capture stick (Compro Videomate C200). This stick is poor quality (sound 10 dB low, picture dropouts 30 per hour) and doesn't work with Win7pro64 - but results were encouraging

I proved -

- there doesn't appear to be Macrovision on the Tbox analogue outputs
- the composite output parallels the HDMI ie both occur together
- the analogue output is quite good when viewed direct on the TV
- a good capture stick should work fine particularly if it has RGB inputs or s-video (the Tbox has RGB and s-video outputs)

It is desirable to edit any videos kept for archiving to get rid of start-stop time padding (2 minutes before the start and 2 minutes after the end) and to cut out the adverts. Editing means re-encoding. The quality hit caused by re-encoding might mean that the quality hit caused by analogue capture won't be noticed

BBCmicro
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
The following box (Anyware Probox) would appear to be ideal for connecting to the RGB output of the Tbox to capture the recordings: (pricing is Australian and 'old')

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11590&cPath=172#myshopping