PDA

View Full Version : New to programming.

Tortilla
30-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I am 15 and interested in programming and am not sure what language to use. I have messed around a little with basic but I want to try out something more professional. Apparently C/C++ can be difficult as a first language but I want to learn C++ at some stage. If there are some good books or websites or general advice that would be helpful.

Thanks Tortilla.

Cato
30-09-2010, 04:03 PM
It depends on what you want to code.

As always it comes down to, Java vs C# or C# vs PHP.

So, C#'s portability and usability for the win.

utopian201
30-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Never used C#, but it is similar to Java. I started out learning Java.

somebody
30-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I would highly recommend: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/beginner/default%28en-us%29.aspx

They have some excellent tutorials, videos, workshops and exercises on C# and Visual Basic. C# is quite easy to learn, so my vote is for that.

In terms of career opportunities, C# and Java are also quite widely used in industry - I work for an IT company in Wellington and the vast majority of the developers I know, either at my company or working at other firms, are developing Java or C# applications for their clients (this is particularly true of professional services firms - some of my friends work for smaller companies and they use PHP, RoR, Python, and a range of other less commonly used languages). C# and Java are very similar, so if you learn one, you can pick up the other extremely quickly - I've used a bit of both in the last 5 years or so.