PDA

View Full Version : Linux Lovers, now's your chance!!

11-09-2001, 12:30 AM
Well I have been toying with the idea of running Linux for ages but haven't got a clue about this OS (or doing an instillation) except to say that I have heard that it is very stable, so that's good enough for me. I am currently running Windows ME (upgraded from 98SE) with 128 Ram and 5.2 GB free space (11.2 total)on an Amada E500 Laptop.
My questions are:
1. Will most of the Microsoft software (Mainly Office 2000) run ok on this OS as I don't want to retire software that I have already paid a great deal for.
2. Can I dual boot both operating systems (ME & Linux) - How?
3. What is a good site for information about all aspects of running Linux & OS Freebies etc?
4. I see that Dick Smith is selling Limux, good idea to purchase here?
All responses will be read and appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

11-09-2001, 09:28 AM
Some answers:
1. Linux is a completely different system to Windows hence Win software doesn't run under Linux. There are various programs (degree of success varies) that enable Win SW to be used under Linux. If you are prepared for the learning curve and time these may be an option.

2. You can dual boot. How will depend on your installation options. Linux should offer to set up a dual boot for you.

3. Plenty of sites about Linux - use a search engine. Try Linux.org for a start.

11-09-2001, 12:22 PM
1) As has been said, you sort of can, but dual booting is your best bet.

2) Dual Booting is easy with the current distributions. It will shrink your windows partition, and install at the end of your drive, 1.5GB is enough (remember that includes all installed applications). This will be done by the installer.
This is how most new users start out.

If you are near a LUG (linux users group), www.lug.net.nz. They often have 'installfests' where they will do all the work for you.

3) You will get more than enought freebies with the distribution to keep you going for a while ( >2 cds).

Have a look around the Mandrake Homepage (www.linux-mandrake.com) they have a number of links and tutorials that should help.

For a first timer, I recomend Linux Mandrak 8.0.

4) There are two ways to get linux.

Because it is free, you can get a copy off someone, another user, or you could try your nearest LUG.

The other option is to buy it from a shop. eg DSE.

The advantage of a bought version is you get support from the vendor (eg Mandrake), printed manuals, and some non-free software (eg StarOffice, RealPlayer). Also you are helping to fund further development etc.

One thing you may need to check is hardware support. I have heard that the Compaqs are well supported. From the mandrake site : '... has been reported as compatible with Linux-Mandrake by someone in our community of users and developers'.

But, I suspect support for your winmodem will be limited, prehaps none. You could have a look at:

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

and

http://www.linmodems.org/

Unfortunatly winmodems are everywhere now.

14-09-2001, 09:52 AM
Personally I would go for RedHat 7. It is the most stable version and seems to be the world leader.

There is a steep learning curve but it is very fast and stable. The boot up into Linux is about a 1/4 the time of windows.

Try it - have fun.