PDA

View Full Version : Wellington - Masterton train wireless

The Error Guy
29-09-2010, 08:21 PM
For those of you who use wellingtons rail network you may have noticed that the Masterton - Wellington train has a wireless network.

But its not your ordinary. it does not (as far as I can tell) have a broadband connection (too little data being sent) and unusually, it is encrypted by WEP. when I asked one of the ticket collectors once (hoping it would give me broadband) he replied that there was no wireless, so either the guards don't know about it or don't want us to go prodding around with it.

A packet monitor we set up indicated little traffic untill about 20 mins into the journey when there is always a large spike in traffic, this spike continues for the rest of the journey.

Several of us who take the train have our theories as to what the wireless is used for.

A: The messages as the end of each carriage that show time/date/next station

B: Uploading the security camera recordings at the end of each day/ or trip.

C: Train use age data such as weight speed stopping times

We have observed at least 3 routers with the same SSID but different MAC's (which fits in with the 3 generator cars so we assume the router is located in the baggage/generator car

But does anyone really know what it is for?

Snorkbox
29-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Nope. Just carry on speculating.

pcuser42
29-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll forward this onto one of the rail groups I'm part of, there's a few KiwiRail employees on there so they may be able to help :)

Snorkbox
29-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I'll forward this onto one of the rail groups I'm part of, there's a few KiwiRail employees on there so they may be able to help :)

Good idea. Then we may find that Laptops can't be taken on trains or find the trains being patrolled by anti terrorist squads. :thanks

wainuitech
29-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Try the connection between the carriages / Guards and the driver in the Loco.

I know they used to do that -- I used to work at the Woburn shops where we repaired/rebuilt those things, Carriages and Loco's ;)

And trust me -- if you saw the state of some of the structures that those carriages had when the sides were pulled off :horrified

Edited: where do you think the Idea for my Sig came from :D

pcuser42
29-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Got a reply:

It is for the security footage. You're right, the SWGs [generator cars] have the main data thing, and cars in the consist all talk to it. Not sure how you tell it which cars are in the consist though.

So you were right with option 2.

wainuitech
29-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Hmmmmmm Wonder when they put security camera's in the carriages ?

ubergeek85
29-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Why not?

I know some truck companies have a similar setup, the drivecam uploads all footage as soon as the truck can connect to the wireless, as it's driving into the yard.

Since it's only WEP, if you could get the key, and if you could run an ARP/APR attack, you could get a copy of their security cam footage. Don't think they'd like that.

wainuitech
30-09-2010, 08:01 AM
I was asking as to when they started putting in the security cameras, never seen any in the carriages before. Not against them only little bit.

pcuser42
30-09-2010, 08:27 AM
More detailed information:

The WiFi network onboard the SW (and SE?) sets are for the security camaras, the main funcion of this network is to allow train staff to view live feed from each camara on the touch enabled monitor/screen in the servery of the SWS.

I understand data from each cars camara is stored in own car. PID (next station, time/date displays) are controled from a main contoller based in the SWG car (or AG?) by a feed via the train line.

In regards to staff knowing about the WEP WiFi network, I personly and with total respect to the wairarapa crews, wouldnt be supprised if only 1 or 2 know of its pressence.

Wired Equivalent Privacy (or WEP) is one of the weekest forms of wireless secuity protocols, it was introduced in 1997. Since 2001 several serious weaknesses in the WEP protocol resulting that today a WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software within minutes.
For the most part it has been replaced in WiFi networks by WiFi Protected Access Protocol (or WPA) and its later development WPA2, which today is the standard for most wireless networks installed by IT Pro's.
Despite its weaknesses, WEP is still widely in use and is often the first security choice presented to users by wireless router configuration tools - including telecom's basic wireless broadband router.

PinoyKiw
30-09-2010, 08:52 AM
The wifi on the train is I believe for the security camera upload to the buffet / servery car so that train staff can get a live feed on there monitors.

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Ah, those servery cars that are handily never used xD.

I've seen security footage off those cams. pretty good quality too.

robbyp
30-09-2010, 01:44 PM
The wifi on the train is I believe for the security camera upload to the buffet / servery car so that train staff can get a live feed on there monitors.

That is very odd. When those new trains were first advertised to the public a few years ago, they were promoted as having free wifi for the users. I assume they have flip flopped on that, so it is now only used for services on the train.

The Error Guy
30-09-2010, 05:47 PM
That is very odd. When those new trains were first advertised to the public a few years ago, they were promoted as having free wifi for the users. I assume they have flip flopped on that, so it is now only used for services on the train.

Probably dropped it as soon as all the school kids started getting laptops. I know pretty much all of 5th form (Y11) get laptops at some time for NCEA lvl 1

robbyp
30-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Probably dropped it as soon as all the school kids started getting laptops. I know pretty much all of 5th form (Y11) get laptops at some time for NCEA lvl 1

The airport flyer still has free wifi. I get a connection each time it stops outside my house.