PDA

View Full Version : Paint questions DIY the beetle way:)

beetle
29-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok i have managed to paint both my chidlrens rooms, and they dont look too bad if i may say so.........:p

but what i want to know is how the friggen heng does one clean the rollers successfully to reuse them? i have reused some and in the end just bought new ones and carried on......

help please.

:)

beetle

pctek
29-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Water based or oil? Oil - throw them.
Water - lots of soapy water to start, then rinse, rinse, rinse.

Gobe1
29-09-2010, 02:16 PM
You can buy roller cleaners now too you just hook up a hose to. Water based only as pctek mentioned :)
I have never used one so cannot comment on how effective they are, or messy.....

beetle
29-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah water based............ i rinse them lots and then give up and sit them in a bucket of water till i decide what i want to do or if i need them again....

sigh........ the paint guy must love me ......:p

i have done 2 rooms and have 5 to go........:(

so much for being on holiday for a week....

beetle

Trev
29-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Get Sixty Minute Makeover in. To bad they are from England. :lol:
:)

Jayess64
29-09-2010, 04:50 PM
The advice you have been given is correct: lots of water - soak in bucket for a couple of hours if you can spare the time, then under running water until the paint stops coming out.

I usually stand the roller on end under a tap and let the water fill it up and overflow down through the felt. The tap just needs to be on enough to keep an overflow going - some water will leak out the bottom. Half an hour of this works a treat (unless you have metered water...)

Bryan
29-09-2010, 05:09 PM
What you do is rinse the roller until most of the paint has gone. Then use hot water and a washing powder (Persil or the like - Drive is very good). Work the powder into the napp, some more in the hot water in the tub. Take the hand device off and then give the roller a jolly good work over. Use the water in the tub to help work the suds through the roller. Let the water go and then rinse the roller cover in cold water. Store the cover in a plastic bag if you are going to use it soon - say three days or else allow the cover to dry. Can use this method on enamel paints too. It is important to remove the hand piece early or else it will become stuck on by the dry paint.

SP8's
29-09-2010, 05:20 PM
If you wrap the roller in a plastic shopping bag and make sure there's not too much air inside, they wont dry out for weeks. Most painters don't wash brushes or rollers. Oil based, put in water and flick, roll or brush water out before re-using. Water based, wrap in plastic - goes for brushes or rollers. As long as air doesn't get circulating, they wont dry out in a hurry.

lakewoodlady
29-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Paint rooms all the same colour?

LL

Roscoe
29-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I am painting my house throughout and simply leave the roller covered in water, in the roller tray, overnight. No worries. Just remove the excess water before painting.

As for cleaning up to store, as Pctek says, rinse, rinse, rinse until no more paint. Simple enough, just time consuming.

What I wonder is how long did the painting take, using a brush, before some smart cookie invented the roller?

Billy T
29-09-2010, 05:40 PM
You can buy roller cleaners now too you just hook up a hose to. Water based only as pctek mentioned :) I have never used one so cannot comment on how effective they are, or messy.....

They are very effective, I've had one for years and use it for both acrylic and oil based paints, but the method required differs.

To start with I have a loop with a handle on it that you put over the roller and push it to the bottom and it forces out surplus paint, but if I can't find it on the day, I use anything I can find that has a curve in it, the ring is just faster.

Then I put the roller (still on the handle) into the cleaner and let it rip at full water pressure. You have to position it right, but the roller spins at a heck of a speed and is clean when the water runs clear, simple as that. Then I wash it in warm soapy water (off the handle so that paint inside the roller is cleaned out too) and spin it again. Some of my paint rollers are many years old and still good as new, better in fact as they don't shed fibres any more.

Oil based paint is a bit different, I still use the ring to get the paint out and back in the can, then I rinse the roller in used turps which also cleans the paint tray. Keep the used turps in a plastic milk bottle, properly labelled, the paint settles out over time and it is ready for the next time you paint. Then use clean turps (save again) followed by paintbrush and roller cleaner which is water soluble, and finally wash thoroughly in warm soapy water and rinse clean in the roller cleaner.

I usually spin both types on my lawn and it doesn't seem to hurt the grass at all provided you get as much of the oil based out as possible, acrylic is not so critical, if anything the lawn thrives on it!

If you are going to use the acrylic roller again the next day, don't clean it, just put it in a plastic shopping bag, wrap it up tight and tie the handles to keep the air out and bung it in the fridge, it will stay usable for a couple of days.

Don't do that with oil based though, it will taint all the food in the fridge (Mrs T was VERY upset when I spoiled her carefully matured Xmas fruit-mince she had hidden in my garage beer fridge!!) best to just rinse and wash properly then leave to dry.

I find that rollers are not always so good when new, but settle down with use, just like a paintbrush does, so cleaning is better than throwing away after one use.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ubergeek85
29-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I've done a bit of contract painting work, the boss had one of these (http://www.fingo.com.au/images/portfolio/paintcleaner_large.jpg) and it worked like a charm. Only really good on water-based though. Just pop the roller in (with handle), it has a small clip on the plastic to stop it popping out, turn on the water, when the water runs clear, take out, turn slightly, pop back in, if the water still runs clear, it's clean. Got months out of the same roller.

Doesn't hurt lawns at all, either, so long as you don't mind coloured grass for a day or two.

Jayess64
29-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I've done a bit of contract painting work, the boss had one of these (http://www.fingo.com.au/images/portfolio/paintcleaner_large.jpg) and it worked like a charm. Only really good on water-based though. Just pop the roller in (with handle), it has a small clip on the plastic to stop it popping out, turn on the water, when the water runs clear, take out, turn slightly, pop back in, if the water still runs clear, it's clean. Got months out of the same roller.

Doesn't hurt lawns at all, either, so long as you don't mind coloured grass for a day or two.

Looks a bit like a...

How can I put this?

Oh well, never mind.

ubergeek85
29-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Yes, yes, I am well aware of that...

Reminds me of Jackass 2.

Metla
29-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Looks a bit like a...

How can I put this?

Oh well, never mind.