PDA

View Full Version : Local computer shops miss out

Digby
29-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Guys

One of my hard drives gave up the other day.

I decided to get a new 1.5TB drive to use as my D: for my data. (up from my present-ex 1TB)

I live in Tauranga and usually get my stuff from elive or Arche.

I deceded that it was urgent so I thought I was drive to town and pick one up. So I phoned Dick Smith and they only have 250 gig internal drives.

I phoned two local computer stores, one had hardly any drives in stock as it was the end of the month, the other only had a 250 gig drive.

So I orderded from elive.

So these shops must be missing out on lots of business.

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Most people probably dont buy 1.5 TB hdds, so the local shop/s dont stock them. And it would be a waste of money stocking them (anywhere), if no-one brought them.Its like 4 GB sticks of ram, they're pretty rare around here. Thats why most of the shops dont stock them. it'd probably cost too much for most people. And if the shop ordered some (BUT no-one brought them), the shop would probably lose money

pctek
29-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Local computer shops miss out

thought I was drive to town and pick one up. So I phoned Dick Smith and they only have 250 gig internal drives.

Dick Smith isn't a computer shop, and they sure aren't local either.

Snorkbox
29-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Did you ever consider Digby, that as you do not NORMALLY buy locally, that the Computer shops do not NORMALLY stock items just for the odd time that YOU decide it happens to be urgent?

Or is this concept too difficult for you to understand?

Just the other day I felt an urgent need for one of those thingies in your Avatar but for some reason the supplier does not appear to have an outlet where I live. I suddenly decided it was not as urgent as I first thought.

CYaBro
29-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't usually keep HDD's in stock, or anything really for that matter, as I can get stuff up overnight from suppliers.
9/10 people are happy to wait and those that can't wait we probably don't want to deal with them anyway.

fred_fish
29-09-2010, 01:30 PM
For a low turnover item, if they did stock them, their prices would have be a lot higher to cover the cost of capital sitting on the shelf instead of in the bank, and also the cost of unsold stock going obsolete.

You would also then buy from elive because of the cheaper price...

Good local service relies on good local customers.

CYaBro
29-09-2010, 01:46 PM
And good luck getting it repaired/replaced by elive if something happens to the HDD under warranty!

Battleneter2
29-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Most retailers cannot afford to hold a lot of stock esp anything that can devalue fast due to price drop.

The disadvantage with Tauranga is it has no Wholesalers, well that I can think of. Many retailers in Auck/Welly/Chch will get stock same day as required for customers.

wainuitech
29-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't usually keep HDD's in stock, or anything really for that matter, as I can get stuff up overnight from suppliers.
9/10 people are happy to wait and those that can't wait we probably don't want to deal with them anyway. Basically the same :thumbs: I do carry the odd commonly used drive in stock, often I will have the odd 250, 320 and sometimes a 500 GB laying about, but they are also usually sold within a month from purchasing.

IF I need a particular HDD URGENTLY - then I can get it from my wellington Supplier within 45 Minutes.

Trev
29-09-2010, 04:36 PM
What about Tauranga Computers (http://www.taurangacomputers.co.nz/) 177 Eleventh Avenue just down the road from McDonalds.
:)

robbyp
29-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi Guys

One of my hard drives gave up the other day.

I decided to get a new 1.5TB drive to use as my D: for my data. (up from my present-ex 1TB)

I live in Tauranga and usually get my stuff from elive or Arche.

I deceded that it was urgent so I thought I was drive to town and pick one up. So I phoned Dick Smith and they only have 250 gig internal drives.

I phoned two local computer stores, one had hardly any drives in stock as it was the end of the month, the other only had a 250 gig drive.

So I orderded from elive.

So these shops must be missing out on lots of business.

Dick Smiths is actually owned by Australian Woolworths, so you are better buying it online from a NZ company, then supporting the Ozzies, in terms of supporting the NZ economy. However I can understand supporting a local shop for the 'employing locals' thing, but you did the next best thing, supporting a NZ owned business. AS others have said, it costs a lot of money to keep that sort of stock on hand, which loses value quickly, and may never sell.

Cicero
01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
IF I need a particular HDD URGENTLY - then I can get it from my wellington Supplier within 45 Minutes.

Not everybody has helicopter sevice, very nice.

I used to drive from Welly to Wai at 4 in the morning to shoot ducks with my mate Neil Hayes,and it took more than 45 mins.:thumbs:

wainuitech
01-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Last time I had to get something quickly - I rang Dove In wgtn, told them I was on my way and would be there asap. Left here at 11.20ish, and got there just after 12. Good run in, no traffic holdups, and the new road layout going through wgtn runs right by dove(almost) its a lot quicker.

Normally when calling before going to a customers place in wgtn, to make sure they remembered I'm coming or confirmed someone is actually there, I always say 45 minutes approx, normally I'm about right for time.

KarameaDave
01-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Did you ever consider Digby, that as you do not NORMALLY buy locally, that the Computer shops do not NORMALLY stock items just for the odd time that YOU decide it happens to be urgent?

Or is this concept too difficult for you to understand?

Just the other day I felt an urgent need for one of those thingies in your Avatar but for some reason the supplier does not appear to have an outlet where I live. I suddenly decided it was not as urgent as I first thought.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::thanks

PaulD
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Not everybody has helicopter sevice, very nice.

I used to drive from Welly to Wai at 4 in the morning to shoot ducks with my mate Neil Hayes,and it took more than 45 mins.:thumbs:

Sure you're not thinking of Waikanae? Wainui to Wellington by bus changing at Queensgate is only 50 minutes.

Cicero
01-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Sure you're not thinking of Waikanae? Wainui to Wellington by bus changing at Queensgate is only 50 minutes.

It must be different since I did it in 1968!

I can tell you are not a duck shooter,or you would have known Neil.