PDA

View Full Version : OneOffice vs Fibre?

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I remember reading a short while ago that some of the PF1'ers had ditched OneOffice (Or were looking at doing-so) in favor of Fibre, for linking offices / branches across the country.

Can't quite remember who it was, but I thought I'd ask:
What were your main reasons for doing-so?
Wat was the pricing like by comparison?
How have you found the reliability of Fibre compared with OneOffice?
Are you doing everything via VPN or just "out over the internet"?

Cheers

Chill.

SolMiester
29-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I remember reading a short while ago that some of the PF1'ers had ditched OneOffice (Or were looking at doing-so) in favor of Fibre, for linking offices / branches across the country.

Can't quite remember who it was, but I thought I'd ask:
What were your main reasons for doing-so?
Wat was the pricing like by comparison?
How have you found the reliability of Fibre compared with OneOffice?
Are you doing everything via VPN or just "out over the internet"?

Cheers

Chill.

Hi Chilli, we are going to be ditchng OO, it is very laggy, I have another client on a OO WAN I built for their network. They have VoIP and find it a wee bit naff also.

We are looking at going Fibre, we got the OO about 3 yrs ago and find that we can get fibre for same price now at waaaay better speeds. Just sorting through proposal tenders which have to go to the national board. So no comparisons for ya mate!

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Who are you looking at getting your Fibre through ?

SolMiester
29-09-2010, 09:28 AM
We have I think 3 decent tenders out of 7, and believe FX networks is looking good!

nofam
29-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but isn't OO more about having seven nines uptime and a self-healing mesh design than raw speed?

I can certainly understand not wanting a laggy WAN when you're VoIP'ing, but my concern would be that it's at the expense of reliability.

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 11:01 AM
99.998% uptime.

VoIP we have, but the speed of OneOffice isn't that great right now, so we're looking at alternatives, factoring in cost and reliability.

Not knowing enough about Fibre, is it really significantly more unreliable?

BTW - Nice display pic Nofam! You have an Android?

SolMiester
29-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but isn't OO more about having seven nines uptime and a self-healing mesh design than raw speed?

I can certainly understand not wanting a laggy WAN when you're VoIP'ing, but my concern would be that it's at the expense of reliability.

Quite, its expensive and slow, but reliable.....

somebody
29-09-2010, 04:52 PM
We went from 1MBit/s OneOffice to 10MBit/s Vector Fibre (for roughly the same monthly cost - maybe +/- $50 difference). Admittedly one of our offices already has a decent connection via Citylink, so there was no cost difference at that end.

According to users in that office things like Windows file sharing and so on are much more usable now.

nofam
29-09-2010, 05:38 PM
99.998% uptime.

VoIP we have, but the speed of OneOffice isn't that great right now, so we're looking at alternatives, factoring in cost and reliability.

Not knowing enough about Fibre, is it really significantly more unreliable?

BTW - Nice display pic Nofam! You have an Android?

Fair call - our OO connection is for mission-critical authentication services etc (a lot of very small transactions), so reliability is more important than speed. We use regular ADSL connections where uptime isn't vital.

To be honest, I think 3G failover is going to really take off soon, so mesh topography isn't quite so important.

And no, no Android device yet, but will be getting a Galaxy S soon I hope! :D

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 06:17 PM
And no, no Android device yet, but will be getting a Galaxy S soon I hope! :D

Good man :D :pf1mobmini:

SolMiester
29-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Have to say I'm enjoying being able to join in while the wife commandeers the home office pc. Couldn't do that on the pearl!

:pf1mobmini:

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 09:42 PM
What are you on now ?

I've blown my 3G usage for the month, but I wanna start using F1 from it more, coz it's so much faster, even compared to Chrome on the desktop...

zqwerty
29-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Reported

SolMiester
30-09-2010, 07:12 AM
What are you on now ?

I've blown my 3G usage for the month, but I wanna start using F1 from it more, coz it's so much faster, even compared to Chrome on the desktop...

Iphone...but when at home use the house wi-fi!....but do have a 3GB plan on vodaphone, so dont think Ill blow it that quick anyway!

SolMiester
30-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Reported

What are you reporting?:illogical