PDA

View Full Version : small laptops with no optical drive

Misty
28-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Mrs Misty and I are planning on buying a small laptop - something like Toshiba or Asus, 12" or 13.3" (I prefer the latter - but SWMBO the former).

We see that often (or always) small laptops such as these have no optical drive. To me that seems a disadvantage. I like to do backups on two mediums - currently use DVD's and external drive. We could get an external DVD, but that seems messy !

Any comments about the lack and advantages/disadvantages of not having optical drive please ?
Misty :confused:

Zippity
28-09-2010, 10:12 AM
It is all about keeping the initial purchase cost low :(

wainuitech
28-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Being a small unit, the optical drive is one thing they are leaving out, smaller size means less components, less cost.

Using a USB drive is no real problem in most cases. The only real down side is if you have a CD that you want to load, you have to copy the contents to a USB drive from another Computer.

I had that a few weeks back, had a customers netbook,Windows XP, No Optical Drive.

Had to run chkdsk,to fix a startup problem, so I loaded up a USB drive with W7, and ran the chkdsk from that - since W7 was a lot easier to get booting from a USB drive than XP was.(Plus I already had W7 on a USB Drive- Lazy eh) :D

kahawai chaser
28-09-2010, 10:18 AM
well I read a recent thread where someone (Agent 24?) uses a 8 GB SD card for backing up, which I am now considering for my daughters net book.

Misty
28-09-2010, 10:25 AM
well I read a recent thread where someone (Agent 24?) uses a 8 GB SD card for backing up, which I am now considering for my daughters net book.

Relying on an SD card seems risky to me, or am I over-cautious ? I suppose if you also have an external drive too, that might be reasonably safe.

I have lots of photos, an increasing number of them in RAW.
Misty :illogical

Misty
28-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Being a small unit, the optical drive is one thing they are leaving out, smaller size means less components, less cost.

Using a USB drive is no real problem in most cases. The only real down side is if you have a CD that you want to load, you have to copy the contents to a USB drive from another Computer.

I had that a few weeks back, had a customers netbook,Windows XP, No Optical Drive.

Had to run chkdsk,to fix a startup problem, so I loaded up a USB drive with W7, and ran the chkdsk from that - since W7 was a lot easier to get booting from a USB drive than XP was.(Plus I already had W7 on a USB Drive- Lazy eh) :D

Hi and thanks Wainuitech
Do you happen to know offhand, at which size is there a crossover where most laptops have optical drives - eg, is it at 14" perhaps ?

Do some 13" have optical drives ?
Misty :)

kahawai chaser
28-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I back up pics on Picassa Online in albums, but don't know if RAW mode can be backed up.

Nomad
28-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I love to have a portable computer.
But hey, how often do normal laptop users carry external drives? How often do normal laptop users or even PC users use a DVD disc?

For backup, you can use W7 to create a systems image and plonk this onto a external HD or USB stick. You can convert W7 CD to ISO and then create this into a bootable USB stick and leave aside for an emergency. This will boot the computer and access your system image.

How often do people go out or go on travel and take their windows DVD and their systems image DVD just in case?

Nomad
28-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Relying on an SD card seems risky to me, or am I over-cautious ? I suppose if you also have an external drive too, that might be reasonably safe.

I have lots of photos, an increasing number of them in RAW.
Misty :illogical

Mem card might be a bit better than a normal HD given their solid state design.
You can always have 2 copies.

wainuitech
28-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi and thanks Wainuitech
Do you happen to know offhand, at which size is there a crossover where most laptops have optical drives - eg, is it at 14" perhaps ?

Do some 13" have optical drives ?
Misty :) At a guess, and it is only a guess, I would say the 13" are the round about cross over point.

Some 13" laptops still have Optical Drives, some dont.

For Example the "TOSHIBA Sat Pro U500 i5-430M 4GB 500GB 13.3 W7P" Does,Basic Specs (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Toshiba.txt) - Yet the lower priced "TOSHIBA Sat Pro T130 SU7300 1.3GHz2GB 250GB 13.3" Doesn't.

Cellux
28-09-2010, 11:47 AM
An alternative is an online backup.

I have a $14/month website that I don't use for anything but personal backups and image sharing.
Infinite (Says the web-host) hard drive space and bandwidth.
Got nearly 1TB of data on there atm. And a free domain name.

Acronis full HDD backup -> Upload.

Local HDD storage as well.

Crazy Toshiba i5 netbook, Wainui.

4GB Ram, 500G HDD, i5-430. Not bad.

How much do they go for?

wainuitech
28-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Around 2K give or take.

Misty
28-09-2010, 04:46 PM
For backup, you can use W7 to create a systems image and plonk this onto a external HD or USB stick. You can convert W7 CD to ISO and then create this into a bootable USB stick and leave aside for an emergency. This will boot the computer and access your system image.

Hi Nomad
Does W7 operate like Acronis True Image in that respect, then ??
Misty

Misty
28-09-2010, 04:56 PM
For Example the "TOSHIBA Sat Pro U500 i5-430M 4GB 500GB 13.3 W7P" Does,Basic Specs (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Toshiba.txt) -
Thanks wainuitech
We don't want to spend 2K however. Somewhere around 1k is our budget. So looks like we need to think in terms of backing up on an SD card + backing up on an external HDD. At least the possibilities are crystalising ! Am slowly changing my thinking (why can't the world move a bit slower !! ;) )
Misty

Nomad
28-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Nomad
Does W7 operate like Acronis True Image in that respect, then ??
Misty

Yes, exactly the same. I have used both Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost in the past but Windows 7 Backup (it's called) is free :clap

Basically with my PC, I boot with a CD that gets created running MS Backup (control panel) or just the Windows 7 Setup DVD, can also be done with a USB bootable stick (Windows 7 setup). Creation utility provided by MS via an install.
Boot the PC up and stick in a CD/DVD or USB stick or USB HDD or eSATA or internal HDD with the image and it does its thing. Works via the network too.

The only hassle is that when you create another image, it overwrites the other and you cannot specify a different folder destination. It always create it in the root directory in a folder it names it ... You can just rename that folder with a date.

Doesn't have some of the features like cloning from drive 1 to drive 2. Or open image file to extract one file.

No USB these days is not a issue really, MS provides a thing to create W7 Setup DVD onto USB stick. If you bought Office and don't have a DVD drive, afaik you can even download this from MS and use the DVD key from your packaging. Just checked. It's possible :thumbs:

plod
28-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Can you not backup over your home network? Some burning software allows you too use DVD burners on the same network if you don't have one installed

gary67
28-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Win 7 home premium will not natively backup over a network

plod
28-09-2010, 08:05 PM
ok, but there are plenty of programs that will

gary67
28-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I know it's just I was caught out by this and so were a couple of friends

plod
28-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't let the lack of an optical drive turn you off a laptop. I probably use mine once every 6 months. In fact I was thinking of ripping it out and putting a SSD in instead. Plus a usb external can be had for what $100?

Misty
29-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Can you not backup over your home network? Some burning software allows you too use DVD burners on the same network if you don't have one installed
Thanks Plod, will Burnaware Free do this ? (must check !)

plod
29-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Plod, will Burnaware Free do this ? (must check !)
I'm not sure, my experience is on the mac side, but can't see why burning software for windows won't do it..