PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone OS Faceoff

xyz823
27-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Found the following comment on a MaximumPC article, and thought it made for interesting reading.

In comparing the iPhone 4 and other phones you shouldn't just be looking at the phones by themselves, you should also consider the ecosystem around them and also the wider platform capable of running those apps. In the case of the iPhone, that includes the iPod Touch and the iPad.

Apple has now turned into the "Windows" of the Tablet and smartphone markets in terms of number of software titles and amount of third party hardware peripherals.

in contrast, Google is turning into the "Windows" of the tablet and smartphone in terms of malware, incompatibilities, fragmentation and pre-installed crapware.

It is also iOS that has all the hardware (walk into any store and what do you see? Rows and rows of iPod and iPhone cases, iOS dock connector equipped HiFi systems, clock radios, car kits and other peripherals.

Apple dominates all of the following metrics compared to Android, Blackberry and Maemo:
- Unit sales: 230,000 iOS sales per day vs 200,000 Android activations worldwide.
- Mobile OS installed base: 120 million iOS devices vs 10-20 million Android devices.
- App download rate: 17.7 million iOS app downloads per day vs 3 million from no.2 store, GetJar
- Total App downloads: 6.5 billion iOS app downloads in 2 years vs 1 billion GetJar downloads in 7 years
- Mobile developer income: $1 billion to iOS devs vs $21 million from Android Marketplace over similar time frame
- Entire cellphone market profit share: Apple captured 48% of the entire industry profit vs 1% share to Motorola and 2% for Samsung vs 20% for Nokia vs 17% for Blackberry
- Mobile OS web browser share: 50-60% for iOS, vs 11% for Android. iOS now has greater share than all Linux distros put together (inc Android), and far greater share than Blackberry or Maemo
- Number of Free apps: 70,000 in iOS App Store vs 50,000 in Android Marketplace
- Number of Paid commercial Apps: 180,000 iOS apps vs 30,000 Android apps
- Total number of Apps: 250,000 iOS Apps vs 80,000 Android apps vs 10,000 Blackberry Apps vs a tiny number of Maemo apps
- Total Tablet Apps: 25,000 iPad apps vs 0 tablet-specific Android apps
- Tablet sales: 14 million iPads in 2010 (est) vs rounding error for competing tablets
- Mini Tablet sales: 45 million iPod Touches sold, no Android equivalent
- Stock Market Valuation: Apple second largest after Exxon Mobile
- Hardware peripheral market share: thousands of cases, docks, iPhone/iPod/iPad-dock connector compatible sound systems, chargers, insulin pumps, aircraft seat dock connectors etc
- Car Integration: 70% of new cars with iPod dock connector and steering wheel control integration
- Music and Media Store: 70-80% marketshare
- One-click credit card accounts: 160 million iTunes accounts vs ...

Now the total number of Android devices may indeed exceed the number of iOS devices sold in the future, but with Android developer income 50x lower than iOS app developers, piracy rates of 50-97%, a marketplace riddled with spam apps, a growing malware problem and just plain low-quality apps, virtually no hardware peripheral ecosystem and far lower installed base for years to come, that metric turns out to be pretty meaningless.

With Google not making any money on Android activations and carriers like Verizon choking off Google's ad-based income by exclusively licensing Microsoft's Bing as the default search engine, and the potential for massive Java licensing fees courtesy of the Oracle lawsuit, the increasing unit sales of Android devices is turning out to be a very hollow victory indeed.

If you don't consider these platform issues when choosing between phones, you could find yourself with another Palm or Kin or Nexus One down the track.

johcar
27-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Link?

Erayd
27-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Good grief, that's one hell of a biased review. Nor does the writer seem to have done much (if any) fact-checking.

johcar
27-09-2010, 11:24 PM
That's why I wanted a link - so I could Google the author to find out how long he'd been working for Steve Jobs... :D

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2010, 07:23 AM
I found it in the comments section here:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/smartphone_face-_ios_vs_android_vs_blackberry_vs_maemo

Found the following comment on a MaximumPC article, and thought it made for interesting reading.
And also very un-educated. I had a few minutes to spare before work, so here's a blow-by-blow response from somebody who would consider themselves more "Educated" than the author in this instance, who is simply some smart-mouthed apple fanboy posting in the comments section of the article, and not the author of the MaximumPC Article.

There's information about Android in the latest PC World, however personally I felt that also wasn't well educated enough with SFA mention of the fact that Froyo is actually a truckload faster than 2.1, not to mention the Milestone somehow scores the highest, and the HTC Desire gives absolutely no mention that it's basically a N1 / Passion clone without the Google branding. Very well researched, but I digress.

In comparing the iPhone 4 and other phones you shouldn't just be looking at the phones by themselves, you should also consider the ecosystem around them and also the wider platform capable of running those apps. In the case of the iPhone, that includes the iPod Touch and the iPad.
Potentially, I can see there could be merit to that method.

Apple has now turned into the "Windows" of the Tablet and smartphone markets in terms of number of software titles and amount of third party hardware peripherals.

in contrast, Google is turning into the "Windows" of the tablet and smartphone in terms of malware, incompatibilities, fragmentation and pre-installed crapware.
Somebody recently commented about fragmentation stating "Would you rather everybody simply drove around in the same year Ford Model T? You say fragmentation, I say choice, and it's something to be embraced!"
Incompatabilities is a joke from a hardware / software maker who's locked down their device in the past so that software can only be authored from its own desktop OS. Then, add in to the fact that even though additional foistware is installed, the OS is able to handle it incredibly well because its multitasking is so well done, that even if you have the Facebook or MP3 store app open or "running" in the background, it makes absolutely zero influence on battery life. See here:
http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

Don't forget that the same fragmentation is now also hitting iPhones / iOS. Phone has a Gyro? Doesn't have a Gyro? Has the faster CPU / RAM of even the 3GS vs the 3G? How do you know if an app will run? You don't ... Apple is really no better off at all by comparison. Some retard came up with that idea about a year ago and the media seems to have run with it, the highly uneducated lot that they are.

It is also iOS that has all the hardware (walk into any store and what do you see? Rows and rows of iPod and iPhone cases, iOS dock connector equipped HiFi systems, clock radios, car kits and other peripherals.
All in that store because of the proprietary Apple connector on the bottom of the iPod / iPhone / iPad.
It's called a 3.5mm headphone jack, and we've been using it for decades, and it's "standard".

Apple dominates all of the following metrics compared to Android, Blackberry and Maemo:
- Unit sales: 230,000 iOS sales per day vs 200,000 Android activations worldwide.
Actually it's been proven recently that the number of Android activations have surpassed iOS. If you're still in denial, check growth trends and there is absolutely *no* denying that it will be within the next month or two, if you somehow manage to hold onto the belief it's not already. (At least in the US)

- Mobile OS installed base: 120 million iOS devices vs 10-20 million Android devices.[/QUOUTE]
Wrong.
Doing over 200,000 devices per-day, up from 160,000 in May (Announced at Google IO), there's well over 20 million Android devices.

[QUOTE=darkstar09;952841]- App download rate: 17.7 million iOS app downloads per day vs 3 million from no.2 store, GetJar
- Total App downloads: 6.5 billion iOS app downloads in 2 years vs 1 billion GetJar downloads in 7 years
You could also argue that users are more inclined to download apps that fulfill functionality left out by the OS, but I'm in a good mood so we won't go there.
Besides, there's only so many fart applications you can download onto one device before the world labels you as just plain "stupid". Even Jobs shares my sentiments there.

- Mobile developer income: $1 billion to iOS devs vs $21 million from Android Marketplace over similar time frame
Yeah fair call, but it's still not quite accurate.
1) You're on the money, less is made from sales, again due to the sheer volume of crapware in the AppStore, people seem to find it worthwhile paying $1.29 to buy a fart machine, though there's no hiding there is some elements of truth to those numbers.
2) More Android apps rely on Ads, or external payment methods for activation. Take ChompSMS for example, my favorite SMS app.

- Entire cellphone market profit share: Apple captured 48% of the entire industry profit vs 1% share to Motorola and 2% for Samsung vs 20% for Nokia vs 17% for Blackberry
Wrong! It may have been true 12-24 months ago, but not now:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/16/iphone_drops_to_23_8_smartphone_market_share_andro id_jumps_to_17.html

- Mobile OS web browser share: 50-60% for iOS, vs 11% for Android. iOS now has greater share than all Linux distros put together (inc Android), and far greater share than Blackberry or Maemo
True, but it's a cut-down browser, and as mentioned Apple have had essentially close to a 2-year head-start vs Android.

- Number of Free apps: 70,000 in iOS App Store vs 50,000 in Android Marketplace
Again, even Jobs is sick of Fart apps, and half of those are triple-ups.
1) Trial / Lite version of App1
2) Full version of App1
3) "HD" version of App1 for the iPad

With Android, you're more likely just to get either the full, free version with the option of donating inside the app, Ad-sponsored, or at most you'll have a Free and a Paid version. None of this "HD" crap.

- Number of Paid commercial Apps: 180,000 iOS apps vs 30,000 Android apps
See before ;)

- Total Tablet Apps: 25,000 iPad apps vs 0 tablet-specific Android apps
The apps don't need to be re-written as "HD", as the Android toolkit allows for varying screen resolutions much better than iOS.
Basically, with Android you have a solid OS that doesn't require rewriting apps for the new sizes:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/7400

- Tablet sales: 14 million iPads in 2010 (est) vs rounding error for competing tablets
True, the authors right there, but give it 12 months and we'll see who's laughing.

- Mini Tablet sales: 45 million iPod Touches sold, no Android equivalent
Also true

- Stock Market Valuation: Apple second largest after Exxon Mobile
Microsoft is also huge, but they still managed to make Windows ME and Windows Vista. Just because you have a high share price doesn't equate to a good platform. That's just retarded...

- Hardware peripheral market share: thousands of cases, docks, iPhone/iPod/iPad-dock connector compatible sound systems, chargers, insulin pumps, aircraft seat dock connectors etc
- Car Integration: 70% of new cars with iPod dock connector and steering wheel control integration
Industry standard USB & 3.5mm headphone jacks and bluetooth puts all that proprietary crap to shame.

- Music and Media Store: 70-80% marketshare
Credit where credits due, they changed online music for sure!

- One-click credit card accounts: 160 million iTunes accounts vs ...

Now the total number of Android devices may indeed exceed the number of iOS devices sold in the future, but with Android developer income 50x lower than iOS app developers, piracy rates of 50-97%, a marketplace riddled with spam apps, a growing malware problem and just plain low-quality apps, virtually no hardware peripheral ecosystem and far lower installed base for years to come, that metric turns out to be pretty meaningless.
Actually piracy is much higher on iOS, with respect to Jailbreaking etc
There's less need to pirate when many solid apps are available for cheaper / free, and you don't have to buy apps to replace missing functionality in the phone.
Again, pretty much all completely *wrong*.

With Google not making any money on Android activations and carriers like Verizon choking off Google's ad-based income by exclusively licensing Microsoft's Bing as the default search engine, and the potential for massive Java licensing fees courtesy of the Oracle lawsuit, the increasing unit sales of Android devices is turning out to be a very hollow victory indeed.
I think this guys been living under a rock. Verizon make money off putting Bing in the phone. Good for them! Nothing wrong with that!

If you don't consider these platform issues when choosing between phones, you could find yourself with another Palm or Kin or Nexus One down the track.
Clearly the author has never used an N1 ;)

Rant over (for now).

In closing, I leave you with Johcars signature (In his previous post):
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

xyz823
28-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Rant over (for now).

In closing, I leave you with Johcars signature (In his previous post):
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

I'm no apple fanboy, just wondered how many of his points had any substance behind them.

Only reason I ended up buying an iPhone was the price. (Managed to get a 3G for $400). Thats my phone, GPS, iPod, games, mobile web browsing all in one. I've jailbroken it to enable all the features of an iphon 4 and although it takes longer to load apps, and isn't as smooth as a 3GS... it was definatly worth the money.

If you can name an android phone that I can get for under $500 (second hand) that runs the latest software and not 1.6, and can do all of the things listed above... then I'll sell my iPhone and buy it.

Nomad
28-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Well for me and I assume many others, we don't need the most elaborate Android phone even if that is better or even if it was cheaper. iPhone wins out due to marketing, it looks great and does what I need and more.

xyz823
28-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Although after I've paid off my trip to Aussie and brought a ps3 and TV. I may look into a phone like this (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/galaxys). Unfortunatly, working 10 hours a week at McDonalds, its gonna take me a while to afford all of this.

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2010, 11:26 AM
iPhone wins out due to marketing, it looks great and does what I need and more.

Though even with all its marketing, iPhone is still losing out in the USA to other Android-based smartphones, for a variety of reasons.

Use an N1 for a day and you'll never want to go back, that's the honest truth! :D

(Note: By that, I mean actually use it. I fear that with the Motorola Milestone being given a 9.0 while the N1 only got an 8.5 in the latest PCWorld, that it was quite probably barely used, nor its features / functionality explored & appreciated...)

Yeah the Galaxy S is freakin awesome. Very similar to the N1 (Though most top-end smartphones now have very similar hardware specs anyways), it's definitely well worth the look!!

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh yes, I forgot that the Mini Pro is getting a 2.1 update in Oct:
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=563570

Or you could go for something along the lines of: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=HHDACN041