View Full Version : WiFi Security

Poppa John
27-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi All,

Using a Belkin 54G Router.

How do i test the security of it? As in can anybody access it? Thanks. PJ

kahawai chaser
27-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Do you mean if your signal in the system tray, is displayed as secured with the encryption type? There may be utilities to test security.

Poppa John
27-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Do you mean if your signal in the system tray, is displayed as secured with the encryption type?

Sorry...don't know what you mean. We want to know if our WIFI is safe, in that noboby can sit outside our place with a Laptop & pinch our broadband. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2010, 09:54 PM
You have to use WPA or WPA2 (enable it in the router, and the wireless adapters you're using (if they've got the option), then give all of them the same key

If you havent done this / didnt do this, then it wont be secure

Poppa John
27-09-2010, 09:57 PM
You have to use WPA or WPA2 (enable it in the router, and the wireless adapters you're using (if they've got the option)/ then give all of them the same key

If you havent done this / didnt do this, then it wont be secure

I believe this has been done, but how do we test it? PJ

Poppa John
27-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Just noticed summat. On the belkin router there is a word, Security, & an illuminated lock. Is that indicating that our wifi system is thief proof? PJ

kahawai chaser
27-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I just set up WiFi for our family internet sharing, and had to enter a encryption WPA key for all our pc's - a long number - to allow access. Did you enter a encryption key number? Is the WiFi icon/symbol visible along the bottom of your screen? If so right click to try see available networks, including from your pc.

I can pick up (i.e. display them) other signals but they are encrypted, except our local school which is non encrypted, as they allow local access to school based projects.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Netstumbler??

Poppa John
27-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks People...in the morning. PJ

tutaenui
27-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Left click on the wireless symbol on the task bar, this should bring up a list of wireless networks available in the area.Place the cursor over your wireless connection and an information box should pop up and amongst the info should be something like Security type wpa2 - psk. If your connection is unprotected it will say Security type unsecured.

Poppa John
28-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I just set up WiFi for our family internet sharing, and had to enter a encryption WPA key for all our pc's - a long number - to allow access. Did you enter a encryption key number? Is the WiFi icon/symbol visible along the bottom of your screen? If so right click to try see available networks, including from your pc.

I can pick up (i.e. display them) other signals but they are encrypted, except our local school which is non encrypted, as they allow local access to school based projects.

What type/brand of router did you get? PJ

Poppa John
28-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Our set up is...Phone into a D-Link DSL-504T ADSL Router.From output of that into a Belkin 54g G Wireless Router with the WiFi outlet & 4 outputs for hard connected PCs. A Toshiba Laptop will connect to the Internet ok. We cannot get the W7 laptop to "TalkTo" an Epson printer.

It has been suggested that out Modem/ Router set up is the cause & we should get a single WiFi unit. PJ

kahawai chaser
28-09-2010, 09:42 AM
What type/brand of router did you get? PJ

The router a Thomson TG585 v8, came free with Telecoms Home Lite Plan. Seems ok so far. Found a UK online pdf manual, and NZ telecom emailed how to configure for personalized settings, after I tried to personalize settings. Their service was quick and helpful.

Poppa John
28-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok Thanks, not an option then. PJ

Nomad
28-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Use something like a wifi cellphone that hasn't connected to your router and try to connect, it should ask for a password or alternatively use a computer but erased the stored passwords first.

Well I don't know and don't wanna get into purposely breaking the security with other stuff ... :p

kahawai chaser
28-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Our set up is...Phone into a D-Link DSL-504T ADSL Router.From output of that into a Belkin 54g G Wireless Router with the WiFi outlet & 4 outputs for hard connected PCs. A Toshiba Laptop will connect to the Internet ok. We cannot get the W7 laptop to "TalkTo" an Epson printer.

It has been suggested that out Modem/ Router set up is the cause & we should get a single WiFi unit. PJ

Well I think our Thomson is a combo unit - modem/router/wireless access point. Search some threads within this forum, I have read some recent descriptions from Wainutech about connecting modems, printers, etc.

Poppa John
28-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Well I think our Thomson is a combo unit - modem/router/wireless access point. Search some threads within this forum, I have read some recent descriptions from Wainutech about connecting modems, printers, etc.

Will be going down town later & will look im DSL & Warehouse Stationery to see what they have.PJ

Trev
28-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I bought a Linksys WAG120N ADSL2+ Modem Router from DSE about a month ago, what is it you want too know.
:)

Poppa John
29-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Problem not resolved yet, on hold for now. Thanks all. PJ

The Error Guy
29-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Ok, NOTHING is "theif proof" completely, strong passwords are essential and NEVER use WEP, its about as strong as a soggy paper bag

However, if you have enabled WPA or WPA2 encryption then you will have to enter a password in order to connect to the network for the first time.

Settings can be edited by going to 192.168.1.2 in your browser, find the security or wireless section and there should be options for passwords ect.

Personally I use a network auditing package called backtrack although its probably a bit excessive for you. many hours of trying to crack and gain access to my networks xD

In windows xp/vista/7 it should tell you if a network is secure or "open" if it is open then there is no encryption. This info is found in the wireless connection dialog (as seen in my screen shot of windows 7 attachment, unsecured will have a ! in a shield and secure will be green bars only)

linw
29-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Your setup can be made to work fine. Networkwise it is the same as mine (Telecom adsl modem/router into a wireless router/switch. But you have to make sure that you don't have two routers/dhcp servers active. My wireless 'router' is setup as an Access Point with DHCP coming from the Telecom modem. Admittedly, a combined unit gets over some of the configuration issues.

Poppa John
29-09-2010, 09:33 PM
There is a shortage of Independent technicians in Wanganui, but we have one coming on Monday. Computer Repair Shops charge an arm & a leg. There is one outfit in Palmerston North who is cheaper than the two most expensive in Wanganui yet are willing to travel here!!! I assume they would spend a day here to make it worthwhile. PJ