PDA

View Full Version : What Ipad should I buy?

taxboy4
27-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Is it worth getting the 3g part, will 32G be more than i need?

Cheers

somebody
27-09-2010, 08:43 PM
1) Are you willing to pay for mobile data? Do you need internet wherever you are? Several coworkers have 3G versions and use it for "work" purposes, including notetaking and checking emails in meetings or at client sites.

2) What do you intend to put on it? Would you want to store lots of video or music on it?

taxboy4
27-09-2010, 09:43 PM
1) Are you willing to pay for mobile data? Do you need internet wherever you are? Several coworkers have 3G versions and use it for "work" purposes, including notetaking and checking emails in meetings or at client sites.

2) What do you intend to put on it? Would you want to store lots of video or music on it?

It will be for mainly home use but maybe to use for emails when on holiday and away from wireless.

Happy to pay for 3g if need it.

Will put mainly movies on it, music will stay on my iphone.

Do you think will be able to buy a 3g adaptor later?

plod
27-09-2010, 09:47 PM
No, but you could get a mifi or something similar, well thats what I would do, or tether from a cell phone

taxboy4
27-09-2010, 09:52 PM
No, but you could get a mifi or something similar, well thats what I would do, or tether from a cell phone

Just googled those mifi...how handy is that!

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2010, 06:24 AM
You think that's handy, you should try having Android-2.2 with WiFi Tethering, it's even more convenient ;)

When I had an iPhone, I found 16GB was a lot, even with several movies on it, however because the memory is not expandable, if you can afford the extra and worry you may use it, then why not.
In my experience however, most people I know *don't* use 16GB...

gary67
28-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Don't buy the rip off one without so many useful features wait a few weeks and get the Android Toshiba version that will have the features

taxboy4
28-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Don't buy the rip off one without so many useful features wait a few weeks and get the Android Toshiba version that will have the features

You saying, don't buy a ipad and wait for the Andriod tablet?

It is mainly for my missus, who loves her imac and iphone

Safari
28-09-2010, 07:27 AM
You saying, don't buy a ipad and wait for the Andriod tablet?

It is mainly for my missus, who loves her imac and iphone

She will love her iPad as well.
Don't worry about Gary he is just anti Mac.

taxboy4
28-09-2010, 07:30 AM
She will love her iPad as well.
Don't worry about Gary he is just anti Mac.

Cheers, the trouble with i-stuff is that they make it sooo easy to use and so good looking that you forgive the lack of functionality...

Nomad
28-09-2010, 08:42 AM
IMO if you moan about ipads then you do the same to non apple pads.

For general people, the pads are ideal. Most people are probably going to use it for basics. 3G is great when one travels, I have visited the north and south island while staying in motels and hostels, wifi is not free, some of the places use a national provider so when you jump from one accom to the next you can continue using your credit and it may not be that cheap. I think it's cheaper to get internet thru a 3G provider and you can use it much more places.

Some motels have it for free thou but then one may be paying $100-150 for a night.

If I not got my tablet PC (ultraportable) that weights 1.5kg or measured 1.7kg I would of gotten a pad. So much more portable and it does what I need.

And talk about a ripoff, please correct me but approx the non apple pads are priced quite similar to the iPads. Need more features? A Netbook would suit them better than have all those wire tangles.

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Well said Nomad.

Having recently played with the Eken M001, they're in a totally different league to the iPad, it's not really a fair comparison because the iPad smashes them in every area aside from pricing.

28-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Well said Nomad.

Having recently played with the Eken M001....

Hi CS. What's your opinion of the Eken M001?
I was thinking of getting one. Would it make a descent ebook reader??
It does have the 'toy' sort of look to it, but its Sooo cheap .
Cheers

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah I got mine for $150.
It's slow compared to the iPad and my Nexus One, but still quite usable.
Battery life isn't that hot, 3 hours, but it's still not bad all things considered.

Highly recommend putting some custom firmware on it, it's dead simple to do and only takes a few minutes.

Not a replacement for using the iPad / iTouch as a games device though, as there's no accelerometer, only a gravity sensor which is pretty crappy, and the CPU in it's too slow for most games.
Other than that, for browsing / Facebook / Email etc it seems good, and it's even better with Swype!! :D

Driftwood
28-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Regarding M001 as eReader.
They work good but I wasn't able to get the default reader to work.
I use the Aldiko eReader from SlideMe market place.
Anything you want to know, go to this site.
http://www.slatedroid.com/eken-m001-android-tablet-discussion/

Sue
29-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I find my 32G iPad about the right size for me. Bit like always getting three quotes and picking the middle one..
I already use XT 3G network for all my internet so purchased a WiFi only one. So I either set the MacBook Pro up as a WiFi hot spot which takes a couple of seconds or use the NetComm 3G travel Router.

If you get a 3G model iPad put it on XT if you travel around. XT coverage countrywide for the iPad is far better than Vodafones.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/images/blog/iPadCoverage.jpg