PDA

View Full Version : Heres a tough one

10-09-2001, 10:07 PM
Right. I am running a AMD K62-500 processor, with an Sis5595 chipset. Just recently, i removed a hard disk, and without paying much attention, booted windows (xp beta), where i was halted with a prob at mem add. 00000. No other helpful details. So i reboot, and find that my computer has detected a 550MHz processor, weird because the clock multiplier etc is jumper set, and the jumpers were all in their right places. The next time I start up, it has found a 350MHz processor and windows starts fine. SO far, it has swapped speeds around a few times. I pulled all of the hardware out of my machine, reverted to the onboard video etc, and it worked fine. so i switched off, plugged CDROM in and 550MHz, no windows, unplugged it, same again. SO here i tentativly sit, just waiting for something weird to go wrong (I turned bios memory parity checking on, and just before sys halted due to parity error)...
Any help, ideas... or shall i condemn it to the bathtub.... plugged in to mains?!

Thanks, Seamus

10-09-2001, 10:35 PM
Have a check of the jumpers on the cdrom.
It seems odd that it would affect your system like this though.

Another thing to check is any look screws, or the metal shavings from them. hold the system upside down and give it a shake.

Also the ECC Parity checking for main memory need you to have ECC memory installed.

11-09-2001, 01:24 PM
No, its not the CDROM, it just seems to be some coincidemce related to it... it stuffed anyway. Even without the CDROM it plays up, although it worked @ 550Mhz this morning. The RAM parit checking i Dont think is for ecc ram only (it doesn't specify this anyway). My computer has had a long history of playing up (eg, sporadically rebooting) and i think this could be related to the ram parity errors.
I think there is something wrong in the motherboard or something... ?

Oh well