PDA

View Full Version : YPbPR to VGA

The Error Guy
27-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Partial success in creating myself a YPbPR to VGA adapter for my 360

Mostly because i'm too much of a muppet to spend $8 on trademe for a proper VGA adapter and because I was bored.

Whipped this up for $11 from DSE

Pictures tall the whole story.

At least I know the green pinout is working, obviously red and blue are not!! (hence the green screen)

So i'm feeling very smart but it still far from finished. I need to get a red and blue signal first (then buy the proper thing)

The Error Guy
27-09-2010, 08:29 PM
And it fails now, works (sort of) on the projector as seen in test shots) but fails to even put anything of my 22'' HP v220, ideas?

ubergeek85
27-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Some VGA devices are a bit picky about sync. IIRC the VGA pinout has separate lines for vsync and hsync, with some hardware supporting sync-on-green (just RGB with sync merged into the green line). Try other VGA displays, since component-to-VGA is (technically) out of spec (non-separate sync), support can be hit-and-miss.

Agent_24
28-09-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't know but I am thinking it may not be possible... not without some kind of active circuitry to actually modify the signals...

But I don't understand very well how either of them work really.

The Error Guy
28-09-2010, 08:48 AM
The projector is a portable tank really, an EIKI LC4200. the weird part is, i noticed SOME red is getting in, my gamertag is red and it gets a faint glow but that's it. If I remove all the YPbPR cords and plug them in the blue and the red will flash up for a second before disappearing (about 1 scan) ill check my wiring again.

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2010, 10:10 AM
There's some tutorial on how to do that somewhere on the net

So, it can be done

The Error Guy
28-09-2010, 10:42 AM
i've kinda given up on it now, trying to find some torx screw drivers to get into my 360's case (bloody MS and their dratted torx screws) so I can solder the VGA wires straight from the pinout to a point on the back of the case.

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Here's a hack which includes a VGA port

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/14/how-to-turn-a-standard-xbox-360-video-cable-into-a-vga-cable-fo/

Altho, it'd probably help if you had the cable

The Error Guy
28-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I've seen plenty of these, but I'd prefer to keep the A/V cable intact, I still use it (except at home, I don't have a TV, just my 22'' LCD) I'll just get my some decent torx drivers a proper cable. goof fun whilst it lasted though.