PDA

View Full Version : Beneficiary bashing

pctek
27-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Normally I'm the one saying they're not all like that, and some mothers are legit but this one:

Ms Bowden, 36, is one of 43,000 sole-parent beneficiaries who have received letters requiring them to look for work from today.

Her eldest son, aged 16, has left school but lives at home and attends a business administration course at Best Pacific Education, which Ms Bowden also attends two afternoons a week.
Her daughter, aged 14, has a 1-year-old son. Ms Bowden shared the childcare with her daughter until recently when the daughter and infant were removed by Child, Youth and Family Services because of the criminal history of Ms Bowden's former partner.

Her youngest son, aged 12, has had a chequered school career and is in alternative education.Ms Bowden has worked fulltime twice in the past three years - as a security guard for six months until April 2008, and looking after disabled people for four months later that year.Both times she stopped work because of her son.
"On the days when he went to school, something would come up to get him not in the right mood for school, and the teachers couldn't leave him with the other kids," she said.

Ms Bowden has been on and off the benefit since having her first baby when she was still at school in 1989. That child died aged 6 in a car accident.
She went back to school for a while but had to leave because her mother had a new baby and needed her to look after him.

Her social worker has arranged job interviews for her and her eldest son at Eden Park tomorrow for catering work at weekend functions and during the Rugby World Cup.

However, her budget adviser is helping her to apply for bankruptcy through the fast-track no-asset procedure because of debts totalling almost $50,000.

What can you say? Geez, some people................

kenj
27-09-2010, 08:37 AM
As in all things pctek, there are rights and wrongs. The trouble is that the "wrongs" colour the world.

We were at a school cricket day some 25 years ago where there were some 250 kids playing a knockout competition when the comment was made by the organiser that "...this will not make the news as there is no bad things about today..."

Sad but true that the negatives get all the publicity. :dogeye:

Ken

johcar
27-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Almost gives eugenics a good name...

leonidas5
27-09-2010, 10:11 AM
An incompetent parent shacked up with a serious crim. What does she spend her time on?
Oh, raising more incompetents to be parents! No wonder she doesn't have time to work.

SolMiester
27-09-2010, 10:15 AM
As in all things pctek, there are rights and wrongs. The trouble is that the "wrongs" colour the world.

Ken

No sure why you are so blasť about it Ken....Not only has this lady screwed her own life, but that of her daughter, son, cost to the taxpayer and to top it all off $50k to retailers!!!

Beautiful work!...no colour about it mate, black and white!

utopian201
27-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I was watching a thing last night about the indian workers who are building the commonwealth games infrastructure. The subtitles shows (as she was speaking):
"I need to work. If I don't work, I don't eat".

kenj
27-09-2010, 12:51 PM
No sure why you are so blasť about it Ken....Not only has this lady screwed her own life, but that of her daughter, son, cost to the taxpayer and to top it all off $50k to retailers!!!

Beautiful work!...no colour about it mate, black and white!

Ah... I wasn't saying she had done some things right. She doesn't deserve a cent from the taxpayers.

I was just generalising on life :o

Ken

pctek
27-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Sad but true that the negatives get all the publicity. :dogeye:

True.
Makes me guilty of it too.

Cicero
27-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I was watching a thing last night about the indian workers who are building the commonwealth games infrastructure. The subtitles shows (as she was speaking):
"I need to work. If I don't work, I don't eat".

That is good thinking,pity the do gooders can't see that simple point.