PDA

View Full Version : New Router Options - Help Please

Petja
26-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi All

I am currently the very unhappy owner of a linksys WAG160N, possibly the worst computer related product I have ever owned!

I am desperate to replace it!

What I am after is a wireless setup for my ADSL2. The devices typically connecting are: Main PC (wired), mine and my wifes iPhone 4's, lounge laptop, ps3 and mine and my wifes work laptops. Soon an iMac too.

I want a setup that will just work and be solid and non flakey.
I like uPNP but don't have to have it.
It must be wireless N
It must have ethernet, but doen not have to have gigabit
It must get on with the mixture of device we have
Range must be suitable for a 2 story timber house.
It doesn't have to be one device, if someone can recommend a pairing thats ok.

The products I am currently kicking around as options are:

Apple airport extreme
- Mixed reviews
- Don't know what to parter it with

There was a netcomm product but that seems to be discontinued, I have heard they make good kit, is there a model thats good?

Bottom line, I am reluctant to pay for the apple, plus modem, ideally the total would be less than $200. Recommendations please :help:

Cheers

Petja

Deimos
26-09-2010, 11:13 PM
In my experience the Apple airport products are not too reliable.
I have a 3com router but it doesn't have 802.11n, only g, but I use a stand alone access point with 802.11n (SMC WGBR14-N) which is great, but I can't recommend SMC routers as the ones I have had have not been great overall.
The 3com is very solid, never have problems with it.

SoniKalien
27-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Linksys are pretty good. What's the problem you're having with it?

I had one running 3 pcs wired and ps3 + laptop wireless with no problems.

Deimos
27-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Linksys are pretty good. What's the problem you're having with it?

I had one running 3 pcs wired and ps3 + laptop wireless with no problems.

I don't agree, I had a $300 Linksys wireless AP/router (no DSL built in) and it would crash every few days, replaced it with the equivilent SMC (about $120) and I rarely have any problems, it also has 5 Gbit ports (one for WAN) and a USB port (so it can double as a print/scan server or even a NAS box), the linksys for more than double the price had only one feature the SMC didn't have - frequent crashes.

Linksys on the whole are fairly average.

Some of the netgear stuff is fairly decent, I've heard good things about thier DSL routers...

Zippity
27-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Funny how some will point the finger and say that XXXXX is the worst brand on the market.

I wonder how much of it relates to the individual setup of the piece of equipment in question.

I have a WAG320n wilth multiple connections and have experienced no connection/transmission issues what-so-ever.

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2010, 09:38 AM
MMmmm... The Linksys N-range of gear is prone to crashing / overheating. Almost everything else is great IMO.

Two suggestions:
1) Linksys AM300 in half-bridge to an Airport or Airport Extreme
2) NetComm NB6Plus4Wn

I've taken my current blog site down for maintenance, but see here (Older archive):
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Might point you in the right direction :)

Personally, based on what you're saying, I'd go for the Airport Extreme + AM300.

Welcome to PressF1!

Petja
28-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Firstly cheers all!

@ Deimos

What have you heard about the apple gear? I have not managed to find any bad press apart from being expensive.

What does SMC stand for? Sounds like good value!

@ SoniKalien

My Linksys drops the connects of any device every 30min to 45min, terrible, seems to be a global problem. Search for WAG160N AP Isolation and you will get hundreds of hits. Great as a wired router though......

@ Zippity

Good on ya, on paper linksys is great and gets great reviews. Unfortunately mines issues blow its otherwise excellent performance sky high!

@ Chilling_Silence

Great nic btw! Cheers for the welcome too.

I had heard about the NetComm NB6Plus4Wn and @ $140 seems great! Does it get on with apple gear? My linksys can't even filter an apple mac address.....

Do you think the AM300 plus Airport extreme is a performance guarantee? At $400 all up (give or take) I would be hoping so.

Cheers

Petja

wratterus
28-09-2010, 11:01 PM
I owned a WAG160N, piece of ****. They do have a 2 year warranty though.

+1 what chilling said.

Petja
28-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Wratterus, what did you get as a replacement, happy?

nedkelly
28-09-2010, 11:08 PM
My linksys can't even filter an apple mac address.....

Um apple mac addresses are the same format as any other device.

wratterus
28-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Mac address and apple mac have nothing at all in common. ;)

Petja
28-09-2010, 11:46 PM
I know, I know but if I look up my mac address on my iphone it starts with 7c and my router won't accept anything other than 00 as the start digits. I may be even more challenged than I give myself credit for.... but really thats beside the point the linksys is still crap!

wratterus
29-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Wratterus, what did you get as a replacement, happy?

Got a NetComm NB6Plus4Wn, so far extremely happy.

SoniKalien
29-09-2010, 12:07 AM
... fair enough :D

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 08:11 AM
The NB6Plus4Wn is a nice all-in-one solution that will largely "just work" straight outta the box, and yes it works fine with iPhones, I had one myself for a couple of years and used it lots while setting up many customers with the NB6Plus4Wn.

Money permitting, I'd go for the Airport Extreme though with the AM300 in half-bridge personally ;)

nedkelly
29-09-2010, 09:32 AM
You seem to always recommend the AM300 in half-bridge just wondering if I would notice any difference if I set mine to half bridge? (Not sure what mine is right now)

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 09:43 AM
It depends on what you're doing with it.
Half-bridge basically just uses the device as an authentication device (It authenticates with your ISP) and converts from your phone connection to an RJ45.

Long story short, it gives whatever device is behind it the public Internet IP Address, which means you don't end up getting stung with things like double-NAT which can be a PITA for gaming and things, not to mention you won't be filling up the limited NAT state table of the AM300.

Provided you have the firmware ending in .04, why not give it a shot? Aside from a few minutes, what do you have to lose? ;)

My only question would be: What device is behind you AM300?

nedkelly
29-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Netgear WGR614v7

Modem
Software Version: 1.19.02
Is that alright?

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Needs to be 1.19.04

It'll mean things like port-forwarding likely work better. Then, it should work a treat, just make sure the Netgear has the WAN port set to DHCP, then in the AM300 tick "Half-bridge" and you're away laughing :)

Actually, double-check that the AM300 has DHCP turned on, at least for 1-2 leases, I couldn't get it working passing the public IP through without it for some reason when I last tried..

nedkelly
29-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Ok think I will just leave things as they are, took me a while to get things to work right

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 11:24 PM
It's easily reversible ...

Deimos
30-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Firstly cheers all!

@ Deimos

What have you heard about the apple gear? I have not managed to find any bad press apart from being expensive.

What does SMC stand for? Sounds like good value!

Personal experience only, returned about 4-5 apple APs within the space of a few months.

No idea what SMC stands for, TBH the quality of SMC products can be a mixed bag, I have 2 Wireless APs that are bullet proof (the model I mentioned) but at the same time I got a couple of DSL Routers that were flakey, so I opted to go for 3Com and have found it to be great, I also have an SMC tiger switch (Layer 2 managed 24 port gig switch, with space for 2 GBIC fibre modules) and it is fantastic, it runs about half the price of the equiv d-link switch.

I think you'll find examples of this no matter what brand you go for, for example, d-link make some really sh!tty consumer DSL routers that are a dime a dozen, but thier corp level equipment is top notch (e.g. the d-link Layer 2 managed switches are a cut above for sure)

3Com equipment is generally very good but sometimes over priced (the DSL router I have was once priced at around $200 but now I think you can get them for around $130 which is still expensive but easier to swallow) and we have a bunch of 3com layer 3 switches at work that are excellent.

As good as 3com is, you might have some trouble getting thier stuff now as I understand they were bought by HP or something, and as such can't be sourced through rennaissance any more (sad).

I've also heard good things about netgear stuff, and back in the day Alcatel stuff was the shiz, I still have a couple of Speed touch pros kicking around, I'd still be using them if they were ADSL2+, there may be a newer Alcatel model that is, but I've never really looked.

Chilling_Silence
30-09-2010, 07:23 AM
It's crazy how much the quality of products varies within the same company

Linksys make the WRT54GL which is the most popular / best router of all times
Yet their N-Wireless AP's / DSL Routers at this point in time pretty much suck...

D-Link, the DSL-320g should never have been made
Yet as Deimos mentioned their higher level stuff is actually pretty decent, and usually a good price too!

Petja
03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Cheers for all the help, at this stage I am going to get the NB6Plus4Wn. If I ever get the time I Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Petja