PDA

View Full Version : USA pages not connecting - TelstraClear cable Wellington

annie
25-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Is anyone else having this problem? For several days I haven't been able to connect to some USA websites - seems to be different sites on different days, with the connection timing out in firefox and IE.

I can't find anything in firefox settings to explain it, TCPview shows nothing much else going on.

Any suggestions appreciated

pctek
25-09-2010, 08:39 AM
No problems at my end - have you rung Telstra?

Safari
25-09-2010, 08:43 AM
No problems at my end - have you rung Telstra?

I think comment was wanted from people using Telstra cable.
Have you got an example of a web site that is not loading, not using cable but can check if any problem with a website you are having trouble with.

golfer
25-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I can't get to this site on Telstra Cable . Quite a few MS links are not working. All other normal connections seem fine.http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=55696

annie
25-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the replies -

pctek: I haven't phoned TelstraClear, from comparative past experience I'd rather have root canal work. I'd really prefer not to spend half a day on the end of a phone at this stage. Since the problem seems to be transient with individual websites, I'm hoping it'll clear eventually.

Safari: The problem has been with different websites over the past few days - if I can't access a website one day, it'll be fine the next and another will be off. One of the sites is www.jinnybeyer.com - my sister is looking for some material, this is the designer's site.

However, I'd be inclined to leave it rather than look into it - if it persists, it might be worth it. I do find that TelstraClear's little cable problems do have a habit of sorting themselves out after a few weeks - usually after one of the neighbours goes through the hassle of getting them round. There is a bit of a dodgy connection in the overhead cables up the road.

fred_fish
25-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Works fine here, TC cable in Chch.

annie
25-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I can't get to this site on Telstra Cable . Quite a few MS links are not working. All other normal connections seem fine.http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=55696

Hmm. I can get to this page no trouble on Telstra cable. Goes to the page to personalise Windows Vista sidebar.

wainuitech
25-09-2010, 09:54 AM
No Problems with any sites anywhere - Telstra Cable Wgtn.

Have you tried rebooting the Modem and if you have one - router, and is it only USA sites ?

annie
25-09-2010, 10:12 AM
No Problems with any sites anywhere - Telstra Cable Wgtn.

Have you tried rebooting the Modem and if you have one - router, and is it only USA sites ?

1. I've just rebooted, and have reseated the TelstraClear cable connection, still no luck.

2. Yes, only USA sites. The message I get is a time-out - eg "The connection has timed out. The server at www.jinnybeyer.com is taking too long to respond."

I've also noticed the last few days that the connection is pretty sluggish - page loads are taking longer, downloads are really down in speed. It can't be a traffic load thing either, it's the same overnight and at 6am, which are usually very fast.The sites involved are ones that are often relatively slow to load - maybe TelstraClear have changed the timeout settings, or there is a problem with the US.

I'll try later today on one of my family's Telecom connections.

annie
25-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I've got to clear off for a few hours - thanks for the suggestions though. I'll try again when I get back.

wainuitech
25-09-2010, 10:21 AM
The site loads in about 1 second here. 9.15am Saturday.

Try this -- Open a command prompt.

Type in ping www.jinnybeyer.com <press Enter> does the site reply ?

What ever it does, then type in ping 67.19.224.233 <Press Enter> does it reply ( thats the sites address) -- you should get similar to This here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Ping1285363149.jpg).

IF the pings are working but the normal browser isn't there could be something not rendering the site name correctly.

annie
25-09-2010, 10:44 AM
1. Pinging www.jinnybeyer.com works fine, with replies in 180-189 ms

2. Pinging 67.19.224.233 is also fine, with replies in 179-201 ms. 4 packets sent and received in both cases.

Site rendering is a new concept for me, I'll have to read up on it.
Thanks - very helpful.

wainuitech
25-09-2010, 03:19 PM
The term rendering may be the wrong term, What I mean is when you type in the actual name of the site it is converted to a web IP address by a DNS (domain name server) to something a Computer can actually read. A computer cant read jinnybeyer.com, but it can read its IP Address.

Try this, open your browser, type in http://67.19.224.233 press enter, does the site load ?

BBCmicro
25-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Tried the jinnybeyer site just now (3:15pm) with IE8. It did not connect. The Win7 diagnostic says
"website (www.jinnybeyer.com) is online but not responding to connections on port 80"

I'm with Telstra (cable)

Erayd
25-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Just checked that site on T/C cable in Wellington - works fine for me.

BBCmicro
25-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Well I just checked again. Still wouldn't connect. Same diagnostic. Also said no problem with (my) firewall

annie
25-09-2010, 05:32 PM
The term rendering may be the wrong term, What I mean is when you type in the actual name of the site it is converted to a web IP address by a DNS (domain name server) to something a Computer can actually read. A computer cant read jinnybeyer.com, but it can read its IP Address.

Try this, open your browser, type in http://67.19.224.233 press enter, does the site load ?

Yes, it works. But so now does the direct address www.jinnybeyer.com.

Thanks everyone for your help, I think the cause may remain a mystery. From the randomness involved, it sort of sounds like a problem offshore.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it
Cheers

tutaenui
25-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Just to confirm its not just you, I had the same problem with US based sites for most of the day with Telstra cable in Wellington, it appeared to come right about 1600 hours.

Jayess64
26-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree that something seems to been going on, but I doubt that it was TelstraClear. I found various US sites seemed to be unreachable, as others have described, and this situation appears to have existed since at least Friday. Other sites loaded without any problem.

My wife could not access Arts & Letters Daily on Friday, nor could I. Yesterday (Saturday) she appeared to open A & L through a link from a different site, but the date showing on the page was Thursday - presumably the page she opened was cached on a different server. Yesterday afternoon the problem disappeared and everything seems back to normal.

wainuitech
26-09-2010, 12:58 PM
More than likely a server someplace overseas was down.

When going to any web site, you can go through quite a few different servers before you actually get to where you want to go.

The request to open a certain web page, doesn't always go through the same servers for everyone. And the request doesn't always take the shortest route.

annie
26-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm glad it's not just me - I'm quite happy to wait out a problem.

Interesting pattern though - for instance Jayess64 couldn't get Arts and Letters Daily, which was one of the sites I was having no problem at all with - and it's one of my home pages, so I load it several times a day.

Thanks all

Erayd
26-09-2010, 09:24 PM
There's currently a known issue for TelstraClear customers browsing to international sites (according to their phone system) - noting the symptoms, I strongly suspect they're having problems with their proxy / cache system.

Fingers crossed that this means they're finally going to fix the DNS/proxy/CDN issue, although noting they've known about it and done nothing for over two years, I can't say I'm too hopeful about this.