PDA

View Full Version : "No IDE Master HDD Detected" Asus MoBo

Thebananamonkey
24-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is one or multiple problems but here goes.

I've got:

Asus P5K-E Wifi
Q6600 G0
2x 5770
620W Enermax Liberty PSU
2x Seagate Barracuda
1x Seagate Momentus XT

When I turn the computer on, I have a warning come up that says "No IDE Master HDD Detected" and then asks me to press F1 (Coincidence?). I do that, the computer doesn't boot. If I disconnect one of my Barracudas then it boots.

I recently bought another 5770 as a present to myself and only noticed this warning when I was installing the new card. Apparently it was happening when I was away over the weekend though (ie: before the new card).

So I want to be able to see my second HDD (With all my music, non backed up OF COURSE!) and want to be able to use both of my 5770's in Crossfire. Hopefully without having to buy a new motherboard, although I'm kind of open to that if needs be.

I'm going to flash my BIOS now to see if that helps. Was wondering if it was something to do with the PSU, but not sure how to check.

Anybody have any ideas? The net seems full of this question being unresolved and changing settings in BIOS/Changing SATA ports doesn't seem to be helping this issue.

Cheers,
BM

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Change the bootdisk to the one thats got the OS on it.

Thebananamonkey
24-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Bootdisk is the only one connected at the moment.

Have been through the BIOS looking at every setting.

This seems to have come out of the dark, as I haven't changed any settings recently. One minute (~2.5 years) is was working fine, now it's acting up.

I forgot to mention that Wellington has been having power issues the last couple of weeks. It was turned off most of the weekend, but I wonder if a spike got it anyway. Does insurance usually cover this sort of thing?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 06:44 PM
So, are there any IDE devices in the case? Is the CD/DVD IDE?

Snorkbox
24-09-2010, 06:47 PM
You have 3 Seagate hard drives. Which of these are IDE and which are SATA? And which is the boot disk with the O/S on it?

Thebananamonkey
24-09-2010, 07:21 PM
All are SATA. No IDE on this computer. The Momentus has the OS on it.

Have flashed BIOS and find that if I only connect the Momentus into SATA-1 with no other disks connected then I can get into Windows no probs with no "press f1".

Wondering if I should get another motherboard really, as I just read P5K-E on Crossfire is a pretty unspectacular affair. Really disappointed.

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Set the settings to their default settings. Then reconfigure the BIOS. If there's an IDE option in the BIOS disable it

Thebananamonkey
24-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Suggestions for a new LGA775 board with DDR2 and two PCI-E slots would be much appreciated.

Must be at least 16x/8x when in Crossfire.

Would like not to have to upgrade CPU/MoBo/RAM at this point, so sticking with 775 if I can.

Snorkbox
24-09-2010, 07:31 PM
So I take it that you can now access all hard drives?

If so then back up your MUSIC NOW!!!

Before we have to suggest free data recovery methods. :)

Thebananamonkey
24-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Not able to see my music yet.

May take the HDD around to my fathers house and see if I can save it there... fingers crossed for 110GB of music.

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Same prob, same mobo.

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/529006-no-ide-master-h-d-d.html

The hdds should be in ports 1,3 or 5.

And http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5E-V+HDMI&id=20080703222108656&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Is it on AHCI or IDE mode in the BIOS? Because this will make a diff WHAT SATA ports you plug them into

Must be a common issue with this mobo

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/683919-start-up-error-no-master.html

Thebananamonkey
25-09-2010, 06:24 PM
It seems to go away when I disconnect a particular HDD, which may possibly be dead. Crossfire doesn't work and the Wifi is dodgy on this motherboard.

I'm buying a new MoBo/RAM and a wifi adapter through Ascent:
Intel DP45SG
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2x2GB 1600Mhz CL9

Current MoBo defaults second PCIE-16 slot to x1 and won't accept Crossfire. New motherboard will. Hopefully it will accept the HDD too... won't be too surprised if it doesn't though.