PDA

View Full Version : PowerDVD capture problem

MPG
24-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi Guys

Just received a DVD from an overseas friend (historical film taken aboard my Dad's LCT during the RM Commando landing at Westkapelle, Walcheren). Would like to capture some screen shots, particularly of crew members. The DVD runs fine and it appears to allow me to make screen shots but I can't find them anywhere.

PC is running XP SP3 and PowerDVD 6.00.1203 and is an OEM version. I am not sure that I have run this programme before. I think it must have come in a bundle. My first thought was that I needed to register it. Of course to do that I need the key. Tried Belarc but that didn't indicate a current licence. Tried Everest and that shows a licence. Although it gives me 5 blocks of characters, the 6th block only gives me the 1st character followed by dots. Of course the programme won't accept it. Questions:

Is there a way to retrieve the remainder/full licence key?
Should I use another (better?) programme - preferably free?
Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Michael

pctek
24-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Free simple way to capture Images from Windows Media Player

* Open Window Media Player
* Then go to Tools | Options
* In Options, select the Performance Tab
* Way below you click on the Advanced Button
* Uncheck “Use Overlays’
* Click Ok
* And you are ready.

Now run your movie in any size or screen resolution. Use the standard ‘Print Screen Key’ Method as described and you have captured a snapshot from your favourite movie on windows media player without using any special multimedia software. Enjoy!
More Ways to Capture Screenshots from WMP

Update: Some users have given excellent suggestions in the Comments which provide an alternate method if this does not work.

* Instead of the Print Screen Method – try pressing “CTRL+I”. This pops up a save as window after capturing the screenshot
* After you open Window Media Player. Go to Tools | Options | Performance Tab. You will see a picture similar to the first image above. Reduce the “Video acceleration” from the default Full to None, click ok and then close down media player. Next open the file you want to take a still using the Print Screen method – from press ALT and the PrintScrn key to copy an image of media player to the clipboard.

Using VLC (Better than WMP) there's an option called Snapshot for screenshots.

MPG
25-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi pctek

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately I am still having problems. :crying Tried WMP but it doesn't seem to want to even play the DVD. I think it may be a format problem. When I first got the disc I noted that the file format was given as VOB. Saved the file to hdd's on both my laptop and desktop machines. The laptop is using WMP 9 and the desktop WMP 11. Neither will play the file. I notice that when I press "Play", at bottom left the text is cycling between "D" (file is on my D drive) and "Playlist1". Clearly there is something wrong here. The laptop is doing the same thing. I note that the file in question now shows as being an mpeg file (rather than VOB). No problem in opening and playing the file with PowerDVD - just the problem of not being able to save screen captures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
25-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Use VLC player then

MPG
26-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks to you both. Have installed VLC and it runs the DVD without problems. I have been able to capture screenshots - and find them. The only downside is that I haven't found out how to step the film through frame by frame. Do you know if this is possible with VLC? It is highly desireable to be able to do so. The film is historical and of poor quality. Some frames are better than others. I find that even at a slower speed when I hit the "Pause" there is a slight delay before the film pauses. It makes capturing the 'best' frame very much hit and miss. PowerDVD does allow me to step through frame by frame. I just have the problem of not apparaently being able to do frame captures - or at least I haven't found where they are being stored.

Thanks again for your help. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
Michael

pctek
27-09-2010, 08:15 AM
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/8-new-features-in-vlc-10-that-will-make-you-rejoice/

Says it has Frame by Frame......

MPG
27-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks pctek

Have just checked and what do you know, I don't have the latest version of VLC. The 'new' version looks as if it will do exactly what I want. Yeaah!

I'll download it tonight and see what happens. I have high hopes that you have pointed me at a good solution. Many thanks!!!!

Michael

feersumendjinn
28-09-2010, 12:40 AM
This may help