PDA

View Full Version : SATA boot problem

linw
24-09-2010, 12:51 PM
mobo ECS KT600-8237.

This machine had a single 80GB SATA drive but I added a 40GB WD IDE drive to relieve a disk space problem. I added a data cable for it, the second IDE socket being used for the DVD ROM. No jumpers on drive.

Problem is getting it to boot every time to the SATA drive. It really wants to go to the IDE drive. The BIOS boot sequence has been set to CDROM then SCSI and I thought this fixed it but I find it doesn't work every time. Mostly it goes to the SATA but now and then it just gives a black screen and hangs. Sometimes it gives a NTLDR missing as well.

I've done searches and most say set to SCSI but it has to work EVERY time!

Any ideas, folks?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 12:57 PM
You should put a jumper on it, if the writing on the hdd says it needs one. Or you may have probs. What are the other options under the boot menu? Just cd and scsi? If its on cd, remove any cd's

linw
24-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I did put a jumper on the master pins but that was no answer.

The HDD boot options are basically SCSI or HDD0-3.

I am not going to waste any more time I have decided. A 500GB SATA drive is only $75.

I think the real problem with these boards is that SATA got added as an afterthought.

Thanks.

linw
24-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Took the 40GB drive out as I have ordered a new 500GB.

Restarted. And wouldn't you know it, I still have the ntldr and black screen problems!! Aaaaarghhhh. Bloody computers. Glad I have an image of that drive.

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Did you change it to HDD in the BIOS??

linw
24-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Yep, I did. Tried to boot with two Linux CDs and both failed with similar errors. Funny.

Re-seated the RAM and now it is booting properly. I think the RAM chips were held in by the dust and when I removed it, .............

Anyway, I have convinced the owner to buy a new 500GB drive and it is ordered! Better solution, anyway.

pctek
24-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I would make the CD master and the new IDE drive salve. SO the BIOS doesn't try an make it be boot drive.

linw
24-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that, pctek. I really think, now, that the unreliability factor was due to the RAM seating problem. We are going down the new 500GB route which, really, is where we should have started! Especially with the drives getting down to $75!

linw
30-09-2010, 12:08 AM
The new 500GB Seagate drive arrive today but I wasted time finding out why the drive couldn't be seen. After a couple of hours messing around I discover the SATA 1 jumper which is needed for older mobos. Once added, the damn drive booted.

Jumper piccy here http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/cuda_sata_block.gif

Hope this may save someone else wasted time.

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Thats because the mobo is SATA 1 and the hdd is probably SATA 2

linw
30-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Absolutely. Problem with mixing new with old!

Still, I did learn that SATA 2 drives talk to the mobo controller to regulate speed so there's your conflict with SATA 1 controllers.