PDA

View Full Version : To claim on minor Earthquake Damage or not.

Battleneter2
23-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Several people have pointed out if you live in CHCH and lodge a claim with EQC the claim goes against the title of your house. This "might" deter a buyer later if you should sell. On the flip side there will prob be 100K properties in CHCH with a EQ claim and it maybe seen as nothing by future buyers depending on what the damage was.

We have minor Jib joining cracks damage, purely cosmetic prob under 2K to fix.

Be interested to hear thoughts to claim or not?

Jeff
23-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Go ahead and lodge a claim with EQC. A workmate only had some cracks in the ceiling and they didn't even bother to come out and look at them, just said they will send him the money to get them repaired.

Can't see how a claim will go againest the title of the house. That only shows who owns the house. I assume you are thinking of a LIM report.
That would only show alterations to the house.

Anyway, these days buyers get a house inspection done, if the person is any good they would notice any earthquake damage or repairs done. Also houses move over the years anyway, so you possibly will get minor cracking in places anyway.

Remember to take photos and to keep the reciepts.

Jeff.

Gobe1
23-09-2010, 04:57 PM
The claims will go down on the title
Anyone buying a house should look at the lims and it should have any insurance claims in the past ie flood earthquake etc

pctek
23-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Can't see how a claim will go againest the title of the house. That only shows who owns the house. I assume you are thinking of a LIM report.
That would only show alterations to the house.

Wrong.

LIM Information

Land Information Memoranda (LIM) are comprehensive reports containing all relevant information the Council knows about a property or section.

LIM information includes:

* Special land features including potential erosion, avulsion, falling debris, slippage and possible hazardous substances.
* Private and public stormwater and sewerage drains.
* Unpaid rates.
* Consents, certificates, notices, orders or requisitions affecting the land or buildings.
* District Plan classifications that relate to the land or buildings.
* Any information relating to the property supplied by network utility operators in relation to the Building Act 2004.
* Other relevant information.

FoxyMX
23-09-2010, 06:51 PM
The Press said last week that the Earthquake Commission does not record claims on LIM reports.

The council has the option of doing so, however, but I doubt they would bother for minor or cosmetic repairs.

There was no mention of any record going on house titles.

Don't forget that there is an excess for EQC claims.

We've got cracks in ceiling plasterwork in one of our rooms but they were there before the earthquake. A couple of people have suggested we make a claim for them anyway but that's just wrong. :(

PaulD
23-09-2010, 10:02 PM
We've got cracks in ceiling plasterwork in one of our rooms but they were there before the earthquake. A couple of people have suggested we make a claim for them anyway but that's just wrong. :(

I suspect that more than a few people have just noticed cracks that have been there for years.

Jester
23-09-2010, 11:44 PM
EQC does not lodge anything at all on Council files regarding your dwelling. Council will be none the wiser if you claimed for a crack in the ceiling.

Council will however have to be involved if repair requires a consent, then work will have to meet code and the property file will have details of the consent and the repair procedure .. however it is good to have that info on file as it confirms that things were done right.

Bear in mind that Council will note on its file anything it knows about the land, whether or not you lodge an EQC claim or not. This can include certifying the land as unsuitable for building on.

Remember too that there is an excess of at least $200 for home claims, that can deter those trying to "make a buck".

I'm in Christchurch at the moment inspecting houses for insurers. There is a lot of rumour, misinformation and confusion out there, due in part to human nature and today's society .. wanting authorities to fix things NOW, where the fact of the matter is that the scale of damage to land, the various areas affected and land that is still moving makes coming up with answers a very long process.

It's better to take time to determine the state of play and come up with a worthwhile solution then to rush in and make mistakes, no?

Battleneter2
24-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys, might Confirm what you said Jester with the Council but sounds very logical.

We will prob lodge a claim but no hurry to get it done, you do have to be looking for it.

I suspect that more than a few people have just noticed cracks that have been there for years.

Talking to a Painter Decorator family member, he pointed out those houses finished with Jib tape and compound generally avoided cracking over those only done with only compound. Certainly with us the cracks weren't there before the earthquake and yea, the sods didn't use tape :P

FoxyMX
24-09-2010, 01:31 PM

No doubt about that. :(

A lot of people are benefiting from having their old and worn out hot water cylinders and pipes replaced as well. A family member who is a plumber has done a lot of jobs where he says the items being replaced were on their very last legs and would have failed within a year or two anyway.

I wonder how many leaky homes got badly damaged? For them the earthquake would have been a gift from heaven. :rolleyes:

Battleneter2
25-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I am sure there are those that are those pushing there luck and I know of one, but I seriosuly doubt there is a single house in CHCH that hasnt suffered at least tiny damage be it visible or not.

My mate has stated he was a few jib cracks in his kitchen but is not bothering with claiming as the kitchen is going to be redone soon anyway, so there is an example of someone not bothering to claim.

--Wolf--
25-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Eh might have some people that need to claim after that one at 8pm tonight. Then 2 within 5 minutes of it.

Lurking
25-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Yes we had "hair-line" cracks of old! but now they have spread out much more.

Even caused a summerhill stone to crack.

Some more good jolts at 8 pm.

Lurking.

FoxyMX
26-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Eh might have some people that need to claim after that one at 8pm tonight. Then 2 within 5 minutes of it.

Three good shakes within 10 minutes and I didn't feel a single one. :stare:

Was in the shower at the time and after each one HWMBO came running in, white faced with fright, to see if I was OK and to tell me how big they were. I don't know who was more surprised that I didn't feel them, him or me. :p