PDA

View Full Version : XP files to Win7

Pato
23-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a full backup from my old XP PC to an external HDD. Is it possible to transfer any of these to my new Win7 PC.?

wainuitech
23-09-2010, 02:06 PM
If you mean Data, which includes pictures, documents, music etc, then you simply plug in the drive navigate on the XP to the location, then copy/paste from one to the other.

Programs need to be reinstalled.

SolMiester
23-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Is this a trick question?

Pato
23-09-2010, 02:32 PM
If you mean Data, which includes pictures, documents, music etc, then you simply plug in the drive navigate on the XP to the location, then copy/paste from one to the other.

Programs need to be reinstalled.Yes. Data. Thanks for that, that is what I thought, but I was told by the technician that I couldn't do it. I knew I would have to reinstall programs. That is not a problem.

Pato
23-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Is this a trick question?No. It is not a trick question. I was told I couldn't do it and I took the word of the technician.
Perhaps he meant that I could see the folders in win7 but I couldn't open them.?

Speedy Gonzales
23-09-2010, 02:35 PM
The only diff maybe where you copy the data to. Since, the folders (you copy the data to), maybe different (from where they were in XP) to Win7

Pato
23-09-2010, 02:49 PM
The only diff maybe where you copy the data to. Since, the folders (you copy the data to), maybe different (from where they were in XP) to Win7You have a point there. I am not familiar with win7 so I will watch out for that.

wainuitech
23-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I was told by the technician that I couldn't do it Technician of what -- dumb arse maybe :lol: Where did the tech get his knowledge, a weetbix packet :rolleyes:

Xp on external Drive, plug in drive:

One way:

On windows 7 From Computer - open the external drive ---> Drive letter on drive may will be different on the contents of the External drive it will show as C

If you have lets say pictures in XP under My documents - you simply navigate to the Pictures folder in the XP OS - C : \ Documents and Settings\user Name \My Documents\My pictures open it,click in the folder to activate it, ctrl+A ( selects All) then either ctrl+C or right click \copy.

Then go to the Pictures folder in W7 - desktop ( assuming the folder is been told to show) users name \ My Pictures - click in the folder, then either ctrl+V or right click paste -- and over they will come.

Pato
23-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks wainuitech. That is how I thought I could do it prior to being told otherwise. Perhaps I misunderstood the tech.?

fred_fish
23-09-2010, 07:21 PM
If it is a 'drive image' or was backed up with a proprietary "backup solution" then he may be right.

Pato
23-09-2010, 10:31 PM
If it is a 'drive image' or was backed up with a proprietary "backup solution" then he may be right.It is a drive image backed up with Acronis.

wainuitech
23-09-2010, 11:33 PM
That makes a BIG difference.

Being an Image then you would need acronis to read it again.
Thats one problem with some Image programs / Backup programs - theres no way to actually read the enclosed data without the host program.

With Acronis you should be able to extract out the files you want.

Thats why I asked "If you mean Data" -- thats different to a Image, as I was referring to a "full copy of the OS on a drive", as if a HDD was removed from PC, and put in an external enclosure .

What you could do is using Acronis, lay the image back down onto a HDD, that will give back the complete file structure and you will have full access to all the files. Thats assuming Acronis has backed up correctly.

feersumendjinn
24-09-2010, 01:05 AM

feersumendjinn
24-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a feeling (have not done it myself) that if you have Acronis running on (say) the W7 machine, you can browse and extract files/folders from the image :2cents:

With Acronis you should be able to extract out the files you want.
Is that what you meant, WT? :D

Lawrence
24-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Would not you load first Win7 on a partitioned drive and either dual boot or use one of the
Virtualization Software available and image back XP to the second partition,extract what you want back to Win7 then delete the XP Partition when finished

Pato
24-09-2010, 01:07 PM
What you could do is using Acronis, lay the image back down onto a HDD, that will give back the complete file structure and you will have full access to all the files. Thats assuming Acronis has backed up correctly.[/QUOTE]Keeping fingers crossed about Acronis doing its job I may be lucky.

wainuitech
24-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a feeling (have not done it myself) that if you have Acronis running on (say) the W7 machine, you can browse and extract files/folders from the image :2cents:

Is that what you meant, WT? :D Yep thats it.

Well thats one way - bit of a pain though.

PENTIUM
24-09-2010, 05:57 PM
So he was not such a dumb ass after all! I hate it when persons are abused for giving non technical replies to customers.

wainuitech
24-09-2010, 06:02 PM
The comment was made with the information given.

BTW - I still stand by that comment -- he said it couldn't be done -- yet it obviously CAN - just didn't know how.

I'm about to do a similar thing, a customer has given me a backup today, its an image and doesn't have the original software, luckily I do. Their HDD died.

I've seen lots of so called techs, a few from a very well known company, who I wont name can be called dumb arses, 3 different guys from the same company, 3 visits to the same person to sort out the problem and they still couldn't fix the fault - they shouldn't be in the job charging people and giving advice.

wainuitech
24-09-2010, 06:25 PM
With the Image I got today, its from a customers who's PC I worked on several months ago. At the time I made an image and gave it to her on a DVD-DL.
She never did any backups, so all her stuff has gone, apart from whats on that Image I made months ago-- she wouldn't listen when I said she should do regular backups, as HDD's can and do fail at any time. The PC Died the day after the lightning storm we had here.