PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Crashes a lot

10-09-2001, 01:47 PM
I have a new PC with 256 meg of Ram and Windows ME.
Explorer keeps crashes a lot if I do such simple things as add a couple of new folders or icons. Surley with a new machine and a supposedly proven OS this should not happen
Any suggestions ?

10-09-2001, 02:07 PM
Sorry but the only thing that has been proven about ME, its that it is just as crap as win98 probably worse.

How often is a lot?
Hourly, Daily etc.

Daily is quite common. But hourly means something is wrong.

I would check what programs you currently running, some utilities can cause this when they are broken, eg Antivirus.

10-09-2001, 02:40 PM
If it is IE 5.5, well, this is known to be very prone to crashes and bugs, so get rid of it and replace it with Netscape 5 or IE 5. When you installed IE, did you remember to close down ALL programs that were running, even those 'in the background'? If not, the installation could have been defective.

10-09-2001, 09:47 PM
Hello Digby
You are right, what you are experiencing should not happen, my advice is not to do any of the things previously suggested, because if you do it gives the supplier an excuse to blame you for the problems ( ie playing around with the software ) as it is a new machine the chances are just as likely that it is hardware related, faulty Ram would be high on the list, my suggestion take it back where it came from and show them the problems you are experiencing and put the ball in their court regarding fixing the problems.

Alan

11-09-2001, 07:45 AM
Hi Digby.I have had ME running almost without fault since it came out.Can you imagine a huge corporate making actually bad product??True, ram memory and even motherboards do go faulty but unless the whole machine is affected it's not likely. First click start/settings/control panel/add remove programmes.Select Int.Expl and click as if you are going to add remove. It will give an option to repair it.Select that and see if it fixes your problem.Depending what was the scource of the Int.Expl browser prog. it may have downloaded to your HD with corrupted files. On a fast machine like this have you put on any old progs. Many of them are just dos based with a windows interface and the newer machines do not like them at all.Things like .dll files and the way they address the video card are very different to modern software. Use add remove progs to take out any you can, and see if it helps.Finally go online to MS.com and use the 'update products' to allow their site to examine your machine.Download any critical updates and Expl 5.5 if you have an old copy.

13-09-2001, 07:54 PM
Get rid of ME it is rubbish use 98 SE or 2000 if you really need stability i also had problems with explorer ended up reinstalling explorer 5 contact me if you want a copy have it on a old disk lucky i am a hoarder Opera is fast and small if you want to try it