PDA

View Full Version : Dial up options KOL

WayneMiddy
23-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I have a older friend who wants a internet connection just for email to keep in touch with family overseas so speed not an issue no large downloads mostly text and family pix (no large pix files)
Question: Which ISP, we are looking for the most cost effective option. Would KOL be a starter?
Cheers Wayne

kahawai chaser
23-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I just signed off with KOL after 2 years, cheap at 10 dollars a month and pretty stable. They do disconnect every 4 hours ( but I think you can get free stay online utilities), and they configure outlook express for emails at their servers (or sometimes they use Orcons) with the disc they provide.

But can only pay online - at least 2 days before due date. So require online banking.They email 5 days before when payment is due.

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah I used them a while back (2.5 years ago?) when I was house-sitting, they were fine, no busy tones, very cost-effective :)

Peter H
23-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I use Clear - $12.00 per month - 6000 minutes. No problems and they send out a bill.

lakewoodlady
23-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Slingshot have free dial-up if you have your tolls and homeline with them.

LL

WayneMiddy
23-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for that it now give me a few more ideas, he doesnt use the internet so online payment may not be the way to go. Will check out who his landline is with.
Cheers Wayne

FoxyMX
23-09-2010, 05:47 PM
He might like to consider Actrix. If he transfers his home phone and tolls to Actrix he can have unlimited dialup (http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=277).

Or, if that doesn't appeal, there is the 1 cent per minute plan, which costs $2 per month. My parents are on this plan as they only use the internet for emails also. To ensure they don't accidentally stay online after receiving mail we set Outlook Express to disconnect after checking for emails.

WayneMiddy
24-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Had a look at the Actrix website that looks like a good option thanks FoxMX.
Cheers Wayne