PDA

View Full Version : Gas to home

globe
22-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Anyone out there got gas connected to their house ?

We've got gas in the street and are redoing the kitchen so was thinking about getting gas cooking appliances. Not really wanting to change water cylinder to infinity just yet so someone suggested gas bottles would be better option.

Wondered if anyone has any thoughts/experiences they'd like to share, cheers

johcar
22-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Used to have gas connected at the old place. Just remember, with a connection to the gas mains, assuming you have electricity too (:)), you may well end up paying two "line" charges: one for power, one for gas. Cheaper option is to stick with the bottles.

roddy_boy
22-09-2010, 11:01 PM
No advice regarding gas lines or bottles, but gas cooking is the best.

DeSade
22-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Don't have gas at home but there is a reason you will never see a electric stove in a (real) commercial kitchen.
So much more control with gas.

pine-o-cleen
22-09-2010, 11:34 PM
The apartment we are renting has gas hot water and gas hob, piped from the street. It's great. I hear there are some quite hefty charges associated with bottled gas.

Marnie
23-09-2010, 12:01 AM
We used to have it in our last house. I loved it.
If reticulation to this home wasn't going to be so expensive I wouldn't hesitate to have it here.

PaulD
23-09-2010, 12:24 AM
The apartment we are renting has gas hot water and gas hob, piped from the street. It's great. I hear there are some quite hefty charges associated with bottled gas.

Piped from street = meter = daily line charge that will be worse than cost of bottles. A gas hob can be run off a barbecue sized bottle.

gary67
23-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Gas is fine piped to your house so long as you keep it in the pipe and don't try smoking it in a roll your own, for some reason the gas escapes and singes your eyebrows when you try to light it

psycik
23-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Gas (from street) is good if you use it, just for cooking you'll be killed on daily charge.

Bottles work well, but also have a indirect daily charge in that you hire the bottles for 6 months or so at about $110 per bottle, but that does work out cheaper.

And you can use an LPG bottle I heard of this done - it's like cooking with a BBQ.

But cooking with gas is the best, lots of control, works when there's no power (cup of tea in a power cut anyone?).

user
23-09-2010, 10:25 AM
We looked at gas bottles when we renovated the bathroom and were looking at gas hot water heating. The rental charges on the bottles negated any pricing advantage over electricity so we canned the idea. I think you will find the same problem in your case so check out the total cost before carrying on.

Poppa John
23-09-2010, 10:35 AM
We moved into this house a little over a year ago. 75 Metres from the road to the house.$1200 to trench & lay the gas pipe. Then appliances on top of that. House is all electric, surprise, surprise. Gas heating is much better tho. PJ

globe
23-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Annual Cylinder Rental

Rental is an annual fee of $126 for two 45kg cylinders in the North Island and $96 for two 45kg cylinders in the South Island.

Quote from on gas website - seems quite reasonable for hiring the bottles.35c / charge for the two.

PaulD
23-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Bottles work well, but also have a indirect daily charge in that you hire the bottles for 6 months or so at about $110 per bottle, but that does work out cheaper.

If your price was ever correct then the rentals have dropped quite a lot.

OnGas quote

"Rental is an annual fee of $126 for two 45kg cylinders in the North Island and $96 for two 45kg cylinders in the South Island."

SolMiester
23-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Used to have gas connected at the old place. Just remember, with a connection to the gas mains, assuming you have electricity too (:)), you may well end up paying two "line" charges: one for power, one for gas. Cheaper option is to stick with the bottles.

Yes, thats what I was thinking....A couple of big bottles at the side of your house that no-one sees is got to be better than trenches in the front lawn to install.
Safer too, earthquakes and all.

Roscoe
23-09-2010, 09:06 PM
We had gas at our last address (sold in May) and originally had a gas oven with gas hob. The gas hob was great - much better than electricity - but the oven not so good. The pipes were already there which saved laying a gas line.

We will be using gas bottles at our new address.

When we renovated our old address we installed gas central heating - great - installed a new gas hob (but an electric oven) - great - and gas continuous hot water (originally called a califont which has been around for decades) - also great.

We highly recommend gas as opposed to electricity. The price difference between the two is minimal but the big advantage, with the hot water, is that there is no hot water cylinder taking up space - it is a small unit on an outside wall. The gas hob is much quicker and easier and gas central heating is, I understand, more efficient.

Andrew B
23-09-2010, 10:44 PM
We have a 4 burner gas hob in our new kitchen which is supplied by a 9kg barbeque LPG cylinder. It is great to cook on, much faster and more controlled than electricity, we think.

A full cylinder lasts about 4-5 months with daily use. The cylinder currently costs $26 to fill at Nova at the Mount, but with the loyalty card which gives us the 5th fill half price, and the 10th fill free, it works out to be $22.10 per fill. We own the cylinders, which cost about $40 if bought on special and last 10 years before needing testing, so no rental involved. We use the same cylinders on the caravan and barbeque so they can be used on any of the several gas appliances we have.

roddy_boy
24-09-2010, 12:13 AM
My parents redid the bathroom in their garage and decided on gas heating for the hot water out there (as it is so rarely used). They have it connected to a standard gas bottle so there is no rental on it, and I can get free gas bottles so it works quite well.

ubergeek85
24-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Out here I'm on bottled gas, with hot water and a hob. Was really useful with the quake. We lost power and water, but got water back about 18hrs after. Didn't get power back for another 24hrs after that. That meant we were able to boil our water without power, although I managed to singe the hairs off my arm lighting the hob!

A friend had her kitchen redone a few months back and had a stonking great 7-burner freestanding hob/oven put in. Since she's a chef she went for gas, but since she only wanted the gas for the hob, she brought herself a 9kg cyl for the hob. Does her just fine.

Between three people here, one 45kg cyl lasts us about 2-3 months easily, can wring 'em out to 4 sometimes.

Oh, and being able to dial in the temp you want for showers is fantastic! No more mucking around waiting for the mix to come right. IIRC I can select a range between 37 and 55 degrees, although it's limited to 50 in the bathroom. Awesome!

gary67
24-09-2010, 07:40 AM
My parents redid the bathroom in their garage and decided on gas heating for the hot water out there (as it is so rarely used). They have it connected to a standard gas bottle so there is no rental on it, and I can get free gas bottles so it works quite well.

Does their car get that dirty it needs a daily shower?

FoxyMX
24-09-2010, 01:24 PM
For those with gas bottles, where are they stored and how far away from the appliances are they?

I wanted gas when we redid our kitchen last year but the only two places to store them were under the kitchen window, which is not permitted, or down the back of the house, which was too far away, so I had to stay with electric. :(

ubergeek85
24-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Odd. I'll admit this place had gas when we moved in, but the bottles are stored right around the back. Just a matter of running a longer hose under the house, you'd think.

FoxyMX
24-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes, it's certainly doable but not ideal.

Zippity
24-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Forget gas bottles for cooking - too bloody dangerous and should be made illegal here in NZ.

Unless you have gas hot water heating, don't waste your time getting it installed.

Get an induction cook top instead. Much faster than gas :)

PaulD
24-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Forget gas bottles for cooking - too bloody dangerous and should be made illegal here in NZ.

Reasons?

roddy_boy
24-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Does their car get that dirty it needs a daily shower?

Lol na got a small house so we have a sleepout for guests and it's nice to have a bathroom out there. They redid it prior to my sister's wedding when we had a lot of people staying at our place.

Zippity
24-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Reasons?

Do your own homework and research. :groan::groan::groan:

Go to Standards NZ website and here http://www.pgdb.co.nz/Public/General_Information_Gasfitting.html

prefect
24-09-2010, 04:04 PM
We have run our gas stove off one of those NATO 10kg bottles for 15 years now was going to get a large one but the NATO bottles get about 2 months so never got around to it.
Make sure they are outside the house in some sort of ventilated shelter if they arent galvanized.

gary67
24-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Not sure about the rules in Auckland, they might be nationwide but on a new house gas bottles also have to be at least a metre away from any opening doors and windows too

prefect
24-09-2010, 06:06 PM
You cant be too safe with LPG a 10kg bottle has enough oomf to blow serious **** up.
They are favoured in Iraq lashed to some explosives for a nice roadside bomb can take out a Stryker.

PaulD
24-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Do your own homework and research. :groan::groan::groan:

Go to Standards NZ website and here http://www.pgdb.co.nz/Public/General_Information_Gasfitting.html

You were the one making the dramatic statement :p

My neighbours have a 9kg bottle for their hob. It had to be in a ventilated cabinet outside the house etc properly installed by a gas fitter. Your statement sounded like the bottles are some sort of bodge under the sink.

Zippity
24-09-2010, 09:32 PM
If you had done your homework as I suggested, you might have found that the work done for your neighbours, is indeed frowned upon my many in the industry.

Legislation is intended to prohibit this practice - and not before time.

PaulD
25-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Legislation is intended to prohibit this practice - and not before time.

What practice? An earlier post by you

"Sadly, New Zealand is probably the only country in the world that still allows the use of 9kg portable gas bottles inside a house or caravan."

I'm not referring to a gas bottle inside the house. It's outside.

globe
25-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Forget gas bottles for cooking - too bloody dangerous and should be made illegal here in NZ. You don't own a BBQ then ?

Get an induction cook top instead. Much faster than gas :) and about 3 times the cost of a gas cook top - min of $2k for a basic 4 hob one.

Zippity
25-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Of course I have a BBQ and use a gas bottle to fuel it :)

I just don't use it inside the house :)

I agree about the cost of the induction top, but it was money well spent.

plod
25-09-2010, 10:12 PM
You don't own a BBQ then ?

and about 3 times the cost of a gas cook top - min of $2k for a basic 4 hob one.
plus the cost of new cookware

PinoyKiw
26-09-2010, 11:34 AM
We have the 2 large gas bottles that we use only for cooking though there is a couple of gas heated electric blower style heaters in the house as well which pump out a lot of warmth without any of the wetness of a normal gas heater.

One large 45kg bottle will last us using it just for cooking anywhere from 9 to 12 months.

The bottles are the property of which ever company it is but we pay no rental on them, I think with the latest price/gst increase we pay about 95 a refill.

Excellent for cooking, very good control of the heat.

Ours are attached to the garage wall so distance from there to the hob would be the width of a double garage plus a extra 20 feet or so.

Ours isn't hooked up to the water but I have experienced instant hot water and it is great in a shower.

Zippity
26-09-2010, 02:19 PM
The problem with the 9kg gas bottles, be they for cooking and/or internal heating, is that the device that houses them are not normally flued - hence the danger factor :(

And yes, we had to buy a complete new range of cooking pots and pans for the induction top. But as both my wife and I enjoy cooking, that was no hardship :)

faith1806
26-09-2010, 04:52 PM
using gas to cook is very cheap, but sometimes it can get trouble. be careful to use gas

PaulD
26-09-2010, 05:32 PM
using gas to cook is very cheap, but sometimes it can get trouble. be careful to use gas

You can overheat a pot of cooking oil just as easily with electricity. Cooking (whatever heat source) requires care.

BobM
26-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Pinoykiw,that's a pretty good price for a 45KG of LPG. Down here in Blenheim I"m paying $115.60 a refill, non rental.! !

Zippity
04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4194301/Teen-fights-for-life-after-explosion

roddy_boy
04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
George McHardy, 17, was today described as being in a serious and unstable condition in the hospital's intensive care unit.

His 14-year-old friend is reported to be in a serious condition.

Police said that early indications were that the pair was playing with the cylinder when someone nearby lit a cigarette causing the explosion, in the west Auckland suburb of Massey yesterday.

Can't really blame it on the gas bottles for a couple of westie kids being silly.

PaulD
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
According to a police report on the 1pm radio news the teenagers had used PETROL to set fire to a car and burnt themselves in the process.

Fifthdawn
04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
I used to have a Gas hob, but the ignition spark stopped working and I had it replaced with an induction hob. I like it much more than gas, although having to make sure all the pans work with it is a bit of a pain.

Zippity
04-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Can't really blame it on the gas bottles for a couple of westie kids being silly.

I never said you could. I just wanted to see who would dive in here with what they considered to be a constructive retort.

Of course, you didn't let me down :banana:banana:banana

roddy_boy
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Well played.