PDA

View Full Version : New DVD Drive failure

SolMiester
22-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok, bit of a long story, trying to get some ideas before I spend hours on a rebuild.
So about 1 yr ago, I upgraded a main-board CPU RAM of an old DSE PC, did a repair install and all good. 1 month ago the optical drive stopped writing. The mate got a new drive plugged it in and it wouldnt eject\open, when it eventually did, it wouldnt read any media, so they got yet another. It wont open\eject or read media?....Even pushing eject button does nothing.
Its a SATA drive, so I am thinking, swap port, flash BIOS, but thats about all I can think of...

Anyone have any ideas?

wainuitech
22-09-2010, 10:17 PM
First thing I'd do is double check where the problem actually is.

Attach the DVD drive to another PC,just leave it hanging out the side of the case - see if the drive works or not, if Not then RMA it, its faulty.

If it does work OK on another PC then start fault finding the PC, I'd try another PSU first if its doing it on several DVD Drives.

If it still does stupid things on another PSU, try it in safe mode.

But normally if the door wont open, its a power problem or internal Drive problem. The door should open with only the power attached, so try thats well. (no sata Cable)

Edited: I have seen in the past PC's with viruses that will stop a Optical drive from working, so no CD/DVD can be used.

8ftmetalhaed
22-09-2010, 10:33 PM
My old CD drive conked out in my old PC, had to install a spare dvd drive from an enclosure. Started by failing to eject sometimes, then by spinning up randomly, then by not ejecting, then just pretty much would do anything. Could just be incredibly bad luck.

Else wainui should be bang on.

If the same power supply is being used, perhaps try a different power plug? Maybe try it via an external enclosure or something, if you've got one available. (Not sure if they come in sata... I have one in IDE)

SolMiester
23-09-2010, 10:50 AM
First thing I'd do is double check where the problem actually is.

Attach the DVD drive to another PC,just leave it hanging out the side of the case - see if the drive works or not, if Not then RMA it, its faulty.

If it does work OK on another PC then start fault finding the PC, I'd try another PSU first if its doing it on several DVD Drives.

If it still does stupid things on another PSU, try it in safe mode.

But normally if the door wont open, its a power problem or internal Drive problem. The door should open with only the power attached, so try thats well. (no sata Cable)

Edited: I have seen in the past PC's with viruses that will stop a Optical drive from working, so no CD/DVD can be used.

1) where problem is?...the optical drive!
2) yes the drive works in another PC, thats why I am listing the issue with the PC, not the drive!
3) PSU?....drive cant use much more than 25w?...surely cant be the PSU?
4) Safe mode would be a good diagnostic test
5) SATA cable will disconnect from a windows system issue - yes good ! I am perplexed as to why using the eject button doesnt work!
6) I was thinking perhaps a virus, but they are quite good at regular scans.

Thanks guys, will let you know!

wainuitech
23-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Okay -- so it works in another PC (not previously mentioned in original post) -- so now its a known PC problem somewhere.

PSU?....drive cant use much more than 25w?...surely cant be the PSU?

Once again :D - the door will open with out any SATA cable connected, if the SATA cable is not connected and the PC is on, then it should open if the power is OK.

If the drive works OK in another PC - and the only connection on the faulty one is the power connector -- theres the problem - power Supply. If there is No SATA cable connected, then no software problem or infections can have an affect.

Process of elimination really.

SolMiester
23-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Okay -- so it works in another PC (not previously mentioned in original post) -- so now its a known PC problem somewhere.

Once again :D - the door will open with out any SATA cable connected, if the SATA cable is not connected and the PC is on, then it should open if the power is OK.

Apparently the drive will eventually open, but not read media.

wainuitech
23-09-2010, 12:27 PM
drive will eventually open Theres something not working right, esp if it works Ok on another PC.

I'd be trying another PSU,even if its to eliminate it.

Talk about strange happenings:

I've got a old IBM here right now being a real PIG -- the drive wont show on any workshop PC, only on the Original motherboard and its errrrrr not exactly the fastest of PC's :rolleyes: -- Long day I guess.

Agent_24
23-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Drive not ejecting properly is often faulty data cable or problem with other device on the same cable, since this is SATA it could be the board

25 watts might be all the drive draws but if the PSU is severely crap with failed capacitors it won't make any difference, the out-of-spec ripple will cause all kinds of havoc to anything and everything connected to it.

I wouldn't expect DSE to use top quality PSUs either.

SolMiester
24-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Drive not ejecting properly is often faulty data cable or problem with other device on the same cable, since this is SATA it could be the board

25 watts might be all the drive draws but if the PSU is severely crap with failed capacitors it won't make any difference, the out-of-spec ripple will cause all kinds of havoc to anything and everything connected to it.

I wouldn't expect DSE to use top quality PSUs either.

Well, I dont remember swapping the PSU....so it probably is the original!

I guess Im going to have to re-install the damn system anyway!

wainuitech
24-09-2010, 02:15 PM
If there is a hardware problem, and going back through the posts, that has still not been confirmed or not - lets say for a minute the PSU does have a fault, Why would you re-install the OS- A fresh install wont fix a hardware problem.

BASIC/Simple fault finding - Elimate every thing else one at a time, and this has not been done.

SolMiester
24-09-2010, 02:27 PM
If there is a hardware problem, and going back through the posts, that has still not been confirmed or not - lets say for a minute the PSU does have a fault, Why would you re-install the OS- A fresh install wont fix a hardware problem.

BASIC/Simple fault finding - Elimate every thing else one at a time, and this has not been done.

Because I dont think its a PSU issue! Its either the port, main-board or issues with the O/S.
However of course I will check the PSU, there is a 2nd HDD I will unplug, but $50 says its not the PSU, there isnt enough draw to cause issue!

24-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Could be the Sony Rootkit......

wainuitech
24-09-2010, 02:50 PM
You cant rule out a PSU until its been tested - if its found the PSU is not the fault then at least its elimated as I previously mentioned.

As for the comment "there isnt enough draw to cause issue! " obviously you have not seen many PSU problems. I have seen more hardware related "faults" including optical drives not working caused by a dicky PSU than I care to count.

I actually have one here on a workshop PC, its an older PSU, if I use a certain plug on any drive it wont even show, yet there is power going to it, change to another plug and it works fine.

I cant be bothered changing the PSU for one faulty plug, thats why its got a cap hot glued on it so I cant use it.

BASIC / beginners fault finding -- Test the hardware, test everything first , then what ever is left is more than likely the problem.

SolMiester
24-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Could be the Sony Rootkit......
oh, got details?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2010, 03:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit

wainuitech
24-09-2010, 03:01 PM
oh, got details? What it is (http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2005/11/69601) & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal - its almost 5 years old since it came out.

It wont stop a Optical drive from opening, but it can cause problems playing some CD/ music / videos.

SolMiester
24-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, just saw the 2005 bit....!, was working okay year ago so doubt its that!