PDA

View Full Version : PC Upgrade

davehold
22-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my PC and want to start with a new Case and PSU. Can I just take my current MBO and internals and place within the new case?
My specs are listed below.

CYaBro
22-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I was going to say yes straight away but then I saw that your PC is an HP.
They sometimes don't have standard front panel connectors (power switch, HDD LED etc) so the cables in the new case probably won't connect to the mainboard from the HP.
It is usually possible to make them fit with some modification though.

davehold
22-09-2010, 06:34 PM
sheesh...was sort of expecting this one but still hoping anyway lol. Would it just be easier to get the new MBO RAM and CPU now as well then?

I was going to say yes straight away but then I saw that your PC is an HP.
They sometimes don't have standard front panel connectors (power switch, HDD LED etc) so the cables in the new case probably won't connect to the mainboard from the HP.
It is usually possible to make them fit with some modification though.

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Yup, if you want it to turn on.

wainuitech
22-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Its not that hard to change cases, all depends on wiring on the HP.

I've done it plenty of times when an HP power Supply has blown, it works out cheaper to put the internals in a basic case with a standard reasonable PSU than buy an HP PSU, since some have cases that a normal PSU wont fit.

You just have to follow the wiring and make sure you double check whats the power switch, HDD LED etc.

Some HP setups can cause problems with the Internal USB connections to the front panel.

Just to be damn awkward HP sometimes in the past didn't wire up the USB as standard :devil -- Get that wrong and Bang goes any usb device plugged into the front ports.

They should run on a standard two row setup -

Red White Green Black
Red White Green Black

I have seen HP can change them,to something like (example only)

Red Red Green Green
White White Black Black

Found out the hard way when the my usb Drive Fried :crying

pctek
22-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Board looks OK: