PDA

View Full Version : deactivating mouse touch pad

Anahen
22-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi there
Probably a really dumb question, but I am not the most techy of all. I have a new laptop and use a wireless mouse and not the touch pad on the actual laptop itself. What is happening is that when I am typing, my thumbs are accidently touching the mouse pad which means I keep moving all over the screen and typing stuff in the wrong places and it is driving me nuts. Where do I go to deactivate or slow this down??
Thanks in advance for any help.

wainuitech
22-09-2010, 04:04 PM
If you have a look at the top edge of the touchpad, if there is a thin button just above it about 1 mm in width, press that, it disables the touch pad.

If not, then click start/ Control Panel/ Mouse -- look around on the tabs, one will be the touchpad settings, Then select disable.

PS welcome to PF1 :)

The Error Guy
22-09-2010, 05:27 PM
If you dont have a hardware based switch (the little toggle about the trackpad that wainui mentioned) most laptops have a software based switch that is activated by pressing the function keys.

to use it look a long the row of F keys (f1 f2 f3 ect) untill you find one that looks like it represents a touch pad. this image may help clarify http://www.guidingtech.com/assets/postimages/2010/07/20100727A03N.jpg

The hardware button or the fn keys are usually a bit better than going through the settings because if you need to re-enable the touch pad it is just a bit less painless that going into the mouse options. its also quicker.

trinsic
22-09-2010, 06:07 PM
As above. On my Laptop I use the Function key (Fn next to the Ctrl button) and F7 to disable the touchpad.

CYaBro
22-09-2010, 06:23 PM
A lot of the touchpads use the Synaptics software and usually in there there is an option to disable the touchpad if a USB pointing device is attached.
Have a look in the Mouse section in the Control Panel, usually the last tab.

zqwerty
22-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Touchpad Blocker 1.1:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Touchpad-Blocker_program_60031.html

I don't use this myself so up to you to see how it goes, looks good to me from first read.